Protein Powder?

Options
Anyone using Protein Powder? I'm trying to add protein but not a ton of calories. Does it help you feel full/satisfied longer? When is the best time to use it?

Replies

• rachelns
    rachelns Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A lot of people use protein powder pre and post workout. I think it's about 98 calories for a 25g serving. Protein does help keep hunger at bay for a bit. I like sticking a scoop in my porridge and also as a Greek yoghurt topping.
  • Bacchants
    Bacchants Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have it as I find it hard to reach my protein goal without it. I find if I have it with milk it makes me feel a bit full, but with water I feel just like I've had a drink. The stuff I have is only 115 cals with water (How I usually have it) or 230 cals with milk, which I find easy to fit into my calories for the day.

There's a lot of bro science about when is best to have it, some say before others after. Personally I have it after my workouts if they're evening workouts or before my workout if they're in the morning, just because I find that more convenient.
  • mich19025
    mich19025 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals in my opinion. Whey is fast absorbing and ideally for around workouts. Caesein is a slower releasing protein and ideal for in between meals or while you sleep.
  • ivarunsoncoffee
    ivarunsoncoffee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There is a shake called Power Core, which has 150 calories and 20 grams of protein per bottle. It tastes really good, especially the vanilla one. I can't recommend any protein powders, because they all taste chalky to me.
  • MayaEmProject
    MayaEmProject Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm using mine as a sweetner to my yogurt or pumpkin spread. My whey is 130cal/34g i think and it's really sweet and adds up protein intake as well. I have up to one scoop daily, add it as you'd like to- waffles, pankaces, greek yogurt, pumpkin puree, unsweetend almond milk, mix it with a little bit of water and have a sweet spread :)
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey usually right after I workout and/or in the morning I put the chocolate one in my coffee if I'm feeling lazy. It's 110 cal and has 24g protein a serving. I can't speak to whether it keeps me fuller longer. I never noticed. I just take it to aid muscle recovery and to supplement my protein intake.
  • ungeneric
    ungeneric Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I use an unflavored one* and blend it into other foods. (Sauces, soups, smoothies, etc.)

I find it easier to use an unflavored one (or else buy a variety of flavors of canned protein drinks). If I use a flavored powder I get sick of the taste long before I run out of powder... monotony is a real killer.

*Isopure Zero Carb Unflavored is the one I use.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use dynatize, but also have used pure protein, body fortress, EAS, Muscle Milk, ON, etc... both whey and casein. Personally, both only fill me up for about 30 minutes (and I drink them with milk not water). But my wife is filled up for hours with only milk and whey. I use them post workout.
  • Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I hate eggs so I use protein powder most mornings in a smoothie or yogurt to get adequate protein. I'm not above mixing it with ice cream and a splash of milk at night for a shake if I'm short on protein for the day.
  • losingitseattle
    losingitseattle Posts: 90 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I like Isopure Natural. Least amount of funky ingredients in it.

Favorite Shake is this:

1 scoop Isopure Natural Vanilla (25g protein)
    6 oz 2% milk
    2 TBSP cocoa powder
    pinch of stevia powder to sweeten to taste (and literally the real powder takes a pinch)
    drop of vanilla
    ice to get to consistency you like

Sometimes I add Carnation Malted Powder if I feel like I want a treat. But it adds 90 calories though I can almost fool my kids it's a real malt if I use it! You can also drop the milk and just use water but then I feel like it's not as filling or tasty.

I think that comes to 335 calories. I also like the Chocolate Natural but my husband doesn't so we just get vanilla and I add cocoa powder.

I can't hit my protein goals without a shake unfortunately and I eat a lot of egg whites, turkey, cottage cheese and yogurt. I eat a shake just a few times a week so I don't get sick of it - usually right after I lift heavy.