easy to make dinners!

Options
melissabowers515
melissabowers515 Posts: 17 Member
Hi im new here and looking for some quick easy to make dinners? Ive got a 3 year old and 16 week old baby any by time dinner comes for me I just cant b bothered slaving over a cooker! :s

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hi im new here and looking for some quick easy to make dinners? Ive got a 3 year old and 16 week old baby any by time dinner comes for me I just cant b bothered slaving over a cooker! :s

I am a huge fan of my slow cooker. Dump the ingredients in, set it, and 6-8 hours later you have a tasty meal. You can even put the meat in still frozen if you forget (like I tend to do). It just adds about an hour to the cooking time.

• happy_angi09
    happy_angi09 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    hi Melissa! I have a 3 yr old and a 12 week old! Well anyway, how about stuffed zucchini? cut some zucchini in half. scoop a little out of both and fill with some ground beef or shredded chicken. top with tomoato sauce and cheese and throw it in the oven for about 30-40 min. Delicious!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    my weekday dinners consist of throwing some seasoned or marinated fish, poultry, or meat on the grill...side of some kind of veg and a starch or grain. Takes about 15 - 20 minutes tops.
  • melissabowers515
    Options
    Thanks guys sounds gd! I will give it a go xxx
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Our quickest dinners are bean quesadillas with tomato salad (tomato, olive oil, salt and pepper) and frozen corn. Microwave "baked" potatoes loaded with roasted broccoli and cheese (center cut bacon, sour cream), portioned chili from the freezer served with corn chips or nacho style, or anything from the crockpot. Also, stir fry using frozen mixed Asian vegetables and frozen fish, turkey kilebasa with a starch and frozen peas, or turkey tacos. We don't really "cook" during the week, but take pre-made frozen components and shortcuts.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My food can be found here. I think nothing takes more than ten, fifteen minutes to make (and if it does, it's listed). I like good food but not being locked up in the kitchen. There are a good few dinners there as well.
  • melissabowers515
    Options
    Thank you I will have a look xxx
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has pretty easy recipes for the most part. good number of crock pot recipes as well. My go to easy things are marinated meats that I either grill or slice up and then stir fry.
  • melissabowers515
    Options
    Aww thanks ive got a few ideas to try now xxx
  • Sweepypie
    Sweepypie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    We bought an Actifry last year and it's a godsend! You can get the recipes online and they are all great and very low in fat. o:)
  • melissabowers515
    Options
    Aww thanks! Ive been wanting on of those! Im gonna have a look xx
  • thecookingnurse
    thecookingnurse Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2012/03/slow-cooker-bolognese-recipe.html

This is my favorite spaghetti sauce. I use lean ground turkey instead of sausage, and I serve over cooked spaghetti squash.
  • thecookingnurse
    thecookingnurse Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    http://pinterest.com/cookingnurse/crockpot-recipes/

Here is m crockpot tag from Pinterest. Not all are healthy, but you can modify them to make them better for you!
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My favourite super quick dinner is:

- 150g chickpea fusilli (or use pasta but I'm cutting down on gluten, and chickpea one is lower calorie)
    - 100g white crab meat
    - 1/2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    - chopped red chilli
    - crushed garlic clove
    - juice of 1/2 lemon
    - some chopped flat leaf parsley

Add garlic and chilli to oil in pan and heat gently for a couple of mins, then add the crab, lemon and parsley and heat through.
    In the meantime cook the pasta (4 mins).
    Mix together and serve. Total 394 calories if using chickpea pasta (I use Dell'Ugo) - will be more if you use actual pasta, so I would use much less than 150g (say 75g?? been a while since I had pasta so I'm not sure). I top with a little shaved parmesan :)

I also love to make chilli from scratch and it lasts a couple of days in the fridge and only needs reheating through in a pan / microwave. Takes about half hour to make a batch - perfect with baked sweet potato and a spoonful of low fat natural yogurt.

Thai curries also really easy - just get curry paste, coconut milk, chopped veggies (I also like to add pineapple), and meat/fish (if I'm in a hurry I sometimes get chicken breasts that have already been cooked and then chop them up and throw them in. Or tiger prawns are yummy too). Serve with rice / noodles.

Hopefully that helps :)
  • rdlhuskers
    rdlhuskers Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    my weekday dinners consist of throwing some seasoned or marinated fish, poultry, or meat on the grill...side of some kind of veg and a starch or grain. Takes about 15 - 20 minutes tops.

I agree with this. I use my George Foreman Grill and Mrs. Dash seasonings on fish and love it. So easy and quick. Easy way to get a lot of healthy protein.
  • rdlhuskers
    rdlhuskers Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I am a huge fan of my slow cooker. Dump the ingredients in, set it, and 6-8 hours later you have a tasty meal. You can even put the meat in still frozen if you forget (like I tend to do). It just adds about an hour to the cooking time.

Melissa, start now having your kids eat what you eat. This will only help you as they get older. I have grandkids now and they eat what the adults eat. But I will say I have made pizza roll ups using crescent rolls, pepperoni and 1/2 a string cheese roll it up and bake it. My grandson loves it. So easy!!!!!
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    rdlhuskers wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »

Melissa, start now having your kids eat what you eat. This will only help you as they get older. I have grandkids now and they eat what the adults eat. But I will say I have made pizza roll ups using crescent rolls, pepperoni and 1/2 a string cheese roll it up and bake it. My grandson loves it. So easy!!!!!

I second this - I have a 2 year old and mostly he gets what I get unless it's super spicy :) don't cook twice! Also make a big batch of certain things and freeze in portions so that you always have a healthy meal if you just can't be bothered cooking.
  • meganhenegar
    meganhenegar Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Melissa start by letting ur kids eat what u eat. It will help them as they get older. They won't grow up and have to have this app too.. They will be skinny!!
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Tonight I'm going to sautee onions and peppers, and add them to heated up refried beans and then dump some salsa and shredded cheese (Daiya fake cheese for me since I'm allergic) and mix that all up. Kind of like a meatless and tortilla-less taco bowl.
  • john_not_typical
    john_not_typical Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Don't put frozen meat in the slow cooker. It can spend too much time in the danger zone as it cooks and you can end up with something you really don't want mixed in with your food.