Restrictive dieting is the cause of weight gain, is this your experience?

Options
Anyone read Josie Spinardi's book "How To Have Your Cake & Skinny Jeans too"? She talks about how restrictive and popular diets actually cause yo yo weight loss and gain. These diets destroy our body's natural hunger pangs and appetite, throwing it into chaos so we are no longer able to tune in, leading to emotional eating and binge eating. As well as all the associated issues. She advocates mindful eating with no extreme deprivation but knowing when to stop, regroup and restart. She cites the example of naturally thin friends who eat whatever they want. She had Youtube videos up about it but it is inactive now. Anyone have similar experiences? Did your diet work for a while then it stopped working or you gained back the weight and more?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid that didn't work for me, but there are many others for whom it did.

I gain weight when I am including all foods in my diet. Everytime... you think I would have learned sooner. I would cut processed foods and sugars from my diet, lose weight feel great and then let myself have something like a muffin just because it was convenient and there. The next week I would do it again because nothing bad happened, and then a few days later.... Eventually it was too often and my calories started going up and that was that.

If I restrict, I lose weight. If I continue to restrict cetan foods, I doubt I will gain them back because they don't lead to me overeating. I think I just need to restrict some foods to live healthily and be well at an ideal weight. I don't do well with a little bit.

That's just me though.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Naturally skinny people are a misnomer...no such thing. The eat enough calories to keep them at that size...either intentionally or unintentionally.

As for "restrictive" diets...I feel "diets" in general are at fault. Because people believe that once the weight is gone they are done..and they are not. Maintenance is not as easy as most think esp when you haven't committed to and have the knowledge and foresight to do it.

all "diets' work as long as you do them...and unless you learn why you gain, how you gain you are doomed to gain the weight again...

That is why understanding the basics of the human body is important and to understand how our bodies use food as fuel etc.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I did very strict paleo for about two years and lost over 50 lbs. I was 5'7" and 133 lbs at my smallest (I am not a small framed girl, nor did I do a lot of exercise). I felt amazing. But then I got divorced, and started eating out socially. I've left behind my strict paleo ways for chips and beer... and I've gained 40 lbs back. It's not that it didn't work, it's just that it's very hard to find a form of maintenance that isn't overly restrictive. I can technically avoid grains and legumes for the rest of my life... but then I'd miss out on things I love like cake and pizza...
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I did very strict paleo for about two years and lost over 50 lbs. I was 5'7" and 133 lbs at my smallest (I am not a small framed girl, nor did I do a lot of exercise). I felt amazing. But then I got divorced, and started eating out socially. I've left behind my strict paleo ways for chips and beer... and I've gained 40 lbs back. It's not that it didn't work, it's just that it's very hard to find a form of maintenance that isn't overly restrictive. I can technically avoid grains and legumes for the rest of my life... but then I'd miss out on things I love like cake and pizza...

*cries at missing out on cake and pizza*

I lost weight eating all the foodz (pizza and cake included)...and I haven't gained it back...
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Naturally skinny people are a misnomer...no such thing. The eat enough calories to keep them at that size...either intentionally or unintentionally.

As for "restrictive" diets...I feel "diets" in general are at fault. Because people believe that once the weight is gone they are done..and they are not. Maintenance is not as easy as most think esp when you haven't committed to and have the knowledge and foresight to do it.

all "diets' work as long as you do them...and unless you learn why you gain, how you gain you are doomed to gain the weight again...

That is why understanding the basics of the human body is important and to understand how our bodies use food as fuel etc.

This!!!!!! So many people think once they reach their goal weight that they no longer have to do whatever actions that got them to their goal in the first place. I see it time and time again, someone gets down to their goal and foolishly think they no longer have to workout or pay attention to what they're eating.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have not had this experience because I have not dieted in a restrictive manner. However, I agree that restrictive dieting tends to be counterproductive, based on my observations. People cut their calories super low, go from 0-60 exercise-wise, end up doing very little NEAT type activity so their calorie burn dips, and then wonder why they are exhausted and not losing as quickly as they think they should. Every time I see a post like that, where a person says they are struggling and then describes the above, I think no s*** Sherlock, what did you think would happen?
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Which is why I'm not strictly paleo any more :) That said, I had a lot more energy, my seasonal allergies were next to nil, and my digestion was never better. So there was something to be said about how I felt while doing it. I also had a wonderful self-righteous glow the entire time! ;)
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Which is why I'm not strictly paleo any more :) That said, I had a lot more energy, my seasonal allergies were next to nil, and my digestion was never better. So there was something to be said about how I felt while doing it. I also had a wonderful self-righteous glow the entire time! ;)

Too funny...thx

I have done low carb too...I wasn't glowing tho...I was fainting... :s
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If she is referring to the fad diets that get thrown around in magazines, then I can totally see her being right. They often are complicated (lots of rules) and some don't even have people eating enough (results in fast weight loss which is why it gains popularity). Then when people get to their goal weight, they go back to old habits.

I count calories which is a form of restricting, but that's the only restriction I have. I try to keep a reasonable deficit (for me that means it falls between 0.5 - 1.5 lbs per week). I allow myself to eat whatever I crave, but in reasonable portion sizes so that I stay within my calorie goals.

Before counting calories, I wasn't following any particular diet; I had in a way made up my own really restrictive diet. It wasn't healthy and yes I lost a lot of weight really fast. That is until I couldn't stand it anymore. I went back to old habits and gained about half the weight I had lost back.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Anyone read Josie Spinardi's book "How To Have Your Cake & Skinny Jeans too"? She talks about how restrictive and popular diets actually cause yo yo weight loss and gain. These diets destroy our body's natural hunger pangs and appetite, throwing it into chaos so we are no longer able to tune in, leading to emotional eating and binge eating. As well as all the associated issues. She advocates mindful eating with no extreme deprivation but knowing when to stop, regroup and restart. She cites the example of naturally thin friends who eat whatever they want. She had Youtube videos up about it but it is inactive now. Anyone have similar experiences? Did your diet work for a while then it stopped working or you gained back the weight and more?

I suppose so

I know that all the diets I've tried in the past have resulted in my crash and burn and putting on more weight within the year because my way of living didn't actually change

I've done

Slimming world twice
    Weightwatchers twice
    Harcombe three times
    Low-carb
    5:2
    Healthy eating and more I'm sure

This time round my whole lifestyle has changed...I've become an overall more active person who hits the gym three times a week and has a PT
    I log every single calorie I eat, weighing it
    I have a generally healthy diet and don't cut out or miss out in anything, eating ice cream and chips daily, going out with friends
    I hit my initial weight goal in 8 months, been in maintenance (but still slowly dropping) since February
    I still log every calorie but it is almost automatic, my food tastes have changed and I am not happy staying still for too long
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Always funny when people do something wrong and then blame the tools.

I am currently 50 lbs below where I started my restricted unsustainable diet in 2010.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Calorie restrictive diets can be very effective for dealing with emotional eating. If a person commits them self to eating food that does not give them the comfort they seek, they will have to find a non food way to deal with stress and social situations. Much like how alcoholics have to learn to address stress and social interactions without alcohol. I am not making the old "sugar is addictive" argument but people are creatures of habit and we reach for pleasureful things when we are unhappy. Sometimes just by restricting the calories low enough we automatically exclude those items for months. If you say "I will eat only 1200 and I will not cheat no matter what" you will not have the calories to eat things like a big mac large fries and a shake, so if that was your comfort meal you will have to find another way to deal. Even if you can fit it, like eating a massive diner breakfast, you will regret it as the day goes on and you are not allowed to eat again.

Restricting specific food groups is a bit harder long term. People do it though. Every single diabetic out there is trying really hard to cut their carbs everyday. That means they are not eating huge slices of cake with ice cream, or big mounds of white rice, or costco size muffins. They have to do this to stay healthy so they make it work. If we all looked at our diets as what we have to do to stay healthy perhaps we wouldn't be yo yoing so much.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Nope, my weight gain was never in response to restrictive dieting, as this is something with which I have very little experience.
  • Ticklemynose
    Ticklemynose Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    I'm afraid that didn't work for me, but there are many others for whom it did.

I gain weight when I am including all foods in my diet. Everytime... you think I would have learned sooner. I would cut processed foods and sugars from my diet, lose weight feel great and then let myself have something like a muffin just because it was convenient and there. The next week I would do it again because nothing bad happened, and then a few days later.... Eventually it was too often and my calories started going up and that was that.

If I restrict, I lose weight. If I continue to restrict cetan foods, I doubt I will gain them back because they don't lead to me overeating. I think I just need to restrict some foods to live healthily and be well at an ideal weight. I don't do well with a little bit.

That's just me though.

Same issue as me. If I move too fast, cut out too much then I will do it again and again, it is like a landslide. It's tough finding a balance that works. Calories are just an indication for losing weight, it isn't an indication of health. 2 separate things. I am thinking I can eat 1200 calories a day and lose weight but how the calories are distributed in key in health. For example I can eat 1200 calories worth of potato chips.....hahhahah....and lose weight but my body will be unhealthy.
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    The more I restricted that harder the fall when I stoped. If I cut out carbs, when I stop I eat most of Idoho's crops in a day.
    This time around I don't restrict anything...just have less of it. If I want fries I have fries...just not all the fries.
  • Ticklemynose
    Options

You are right about that, the so called naturally skinny people often do it unintentionally. Doesn't mean they are healthier though. That friend didn't exercise 1 day in her life and eats processed food all the time. On the outside she looks great, on the inside, I am not so sure.

Yes I agree diets in general are at fault, they promise the world and not fix the chore issue of a lifestyle change that is sustainable, you are happier and feel better. Can you tell me more about how our bodies use food as fuel? I would like to know more.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Nope, I was never into fad diets. Sometimes I would try to diet, but I couldn't lose and then gave up.

One time, I tried Slimfast for like a day, but that's it for trendy diets.

I suppose some people would say I'm now on a restrictive diet, but I don't feel deprived or anything. I like what I eat a lot and am happy to have a healthy diet. It's a WOE that I can keep up. The thing I miss more than anything is taking OTC medications when I feel like it. I'd much rather have an Advil when I get a headache (or a Benadryl when the cat scratches me) than have ice cream.

Cutting fat was VERY difficult when I began. Now, it's just how I live. :) It's not a thing, really. Certainly won't cause me to gain a bunch of weight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Lol!

The problem is people who restrict things then reintroduce them again without changing anything else in their diet... or yeah end up binging because they haven't had those things in so long.
  • Ticklemynose
    Options

Yes, finding a balance that works is tough. A balance of tasty food, weight and health along with time and energy that is sustainable. I am trying to see what kinds of food and in which quantity I can accept. It's a lot about honesty with my life, my aims and the possibilities. Is that what you do?
  • Ticklemynose
    Options

This!!!!!! So many people think once they reach their goal weight that they no longer have to do whatever actions that got them to their goal in the first place. I see it time and time again, someone gets down to their goal and foolishly think they no longer have to workout or pay attention to what they're eating.

This is a good reminder, it is probably because the overall lifestyle wasn't sustainable to begin with or it could be that their life has new changes like a child, etc. and now need to rethink and try another way.