fitbit charge vs fitbit charge HR

Options
daisyverma
daisyverma Posts: 234 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I am looking to get a fitbit but not sure if I should get the fibit charge or the one with HR.

The reason I am looking at the fitbit charge HR is because of the band - it is designed to be like a watch, so it does appear to be more secure. The HR function is nice, but I have read it still requires a lot of tweaking and is not the most accurate, so this functionality does not really interest me.

The FitBit Charge is the one I like, however I have heard/read about people losing their fitbit cause the magnetic band can get caught on a coat or clothing and fall off.

The fitbit charge will run me about $170 (CAD) vs the Fitbit Charge HR which is $203.

There are a lot of Fitbit users on MFP so thought I would get some advice/feedback on both. For those that have a fibit charge, how secure is the band?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR and I find the counts to be accurate (this also seems to be the experience of other users in the Fitbit group here). It's lightweight, comfortable, and tracks everything that I want it to. Most of my cardio is running, so the HR data is especially good for me to see when I am in different heart rate zones.

You may want to check out the Fitbit group here for more details on the different types.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I upgraded from Fitbit Flex to Charge HR because the Charge HR has a secure buckle. Both the Flex & the Charge have a flimsy clasp, and my Flex fell off. Is saving $33 worth the risk of losing your $170 Charge?

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • jessathemessa
    jessathemessa Posts: 65 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge and I have never had a problem with the clasp. It took a couple days to get used to putting it on, but after that I have had no issues. It has never come loose or gotten ripped off by anything. I've been using it every day for several months now.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I changed to the Charge HR when they came out and sent back my Force as part of the voluntary recall. I love my Charge HR. Band stays secure. I like to see where my heartrate is - so it's an added plus.
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    i've had my charge HR for 3-4 weeks now. Love it. watch, HR and step monitoring. HR has been pretty accurate for me so far- but it's just a bit of a bonus- not my main reason for getting it. I like that I don't have to "set" anything when i'm about to sleep and wake up, or remember the times to manually set later. This thing has been pretty spot on in detecting when I fall asleep and when I wake up. I also like that it vibrates when I'm getting a cell call. There are many times at work I have my phone right next to me, with volume way down and would miss a call if it weren't for the charge HR.
    The app interface/dashboard is really neat as well.
  • 0121gucci
    0121gucci Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've had my fit bit charge a few months now but need motavation
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    My charge gets caught on something and falls off at least a few times a week. That said it is accurate with all my step based exercises. It helps me stay accountable to myself because I can easily see how inactive I am being. I don't see the point of the HR monitor for myself as I don't eat much of my exercise calories back anyway, so the accuracy of the burn isn't all that important to me.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I love my charge HR. Being able to track my heart rate through sleep and exercise is so interesting and I love knowing what my resting heart rate is, and seeing it go down daily as soon as I start exercising. I was nearly swayed by negativity on the heart rate function but I'm so glad I went ahead and got a charge HR anyway. I straight away forgot the naysayer articles. I can see how my calorie burn is so low on sedentary days and how high I can get it when I exercise. Love it!
  • daisyverma
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.

I am leaning towards the Fitbit Charge HR based on what I have read, and being accident prone (I break things alot..lol).

The strap seems more secure on the HR model.

Wonder if they are coming up with any new fitbit models this year?
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge and have never had an issue with it falling off. With that said, I'm looking to upgrade to the Charge HR. I think it could be worth the few extra bucks for you.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR, and I recommend it because with the HR component, you're getting your calorie burn for the day, which is based on heartrate, as well as steps. So far, my Charge hasn't fallen off, except once when I wore it to bed. Regarding price, you can get a Charge HR for around $149. Shop around. I got mine at Kohls for $149, but had Kohls Cash, which I could use, so ended up paying around 125 for it and earned even more Kohls cash!
  • daisyverma
    Options
    I ended up purchasing the fitbit charge hr

have had it for a day so getting used to it..but I like it
  • FireYankee
    FireYankee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you are going to pay money for the fitbit, pay for the one with the heart rate monitor. You can not truly calculate calories burned without tracking heart rate. ( I know off topic, just throwing that out there)