Anxiety Issues

Options
The one thing I miss sooo much ironically enough is going to the gym. I always went to Planet Fitness and I absolutely adore it over there. Super clean, open 24/7, free trainers, and friendly people. The only reason I stopped going originally was because of an injury and it was only meant to be a break to heal up. But after two weeks... I couldn't go back. Suddenly the thought of going back terrified me. Even today I just can't do it. Every time I try to go back I have an anxiety attack and can't go. I've tried working out in the house but I just hate it. My roommates always end up looking at me all weird or asking "what are you doing?" and I just want to be left alone. The sad thing is these are my best friends and I've told them I would like to do this in private but here I am. Still having issues. I hate having anxiety like this.

My question is if there is anyone out there that also has bad anxiety issues... how do you do it? Are you able to go to the gym or just out in general? What pushes you to do it?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    First, please do not read the MFP official blog about getting over going to the gym, the article is horrible and just encourages not going to the gym.
    Second, do you have anxiety issues in general? If so, have you considered talking to a doctor or therapist about general anxiety / social anxiety?
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I used to... what helped me was going at less busy hours. I know no one was actually watching me (that was my anxiety), but I felt like they were. My schedule at the time allowed me to go at "off" hours. Eventually I got more into a routine and fell back in love with the gym...Now I'm there every morning. It's just second nature to wake up, put on my gym clothes, and go. Everyone is different when it comes to anxiety, but if you can figure out *why* you are anxious about going to the gym, then maybe try to work through that, if you can. I hope this helps...
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    xkitxkatxkaix Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Anxiety and panic attacks run in the family really strong and I have really bad social anxiety and it also gets bad when change happens if that makes sense. I can't afford a doctor or therapist and I really don't want to take medicine for it. I have gotten better with it over the years, I can get out of the house and go to work and certain places by myself and do relatively okay. But in good news I have not read that article! Lol
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    lynn1982 wrote: »
    I used to... what helped me was going at less busy hours. I know no one was actually watching me (that was my anxiety), but I felt like they were. My schedule at the time allowed me to go at "off" hours. Eventually I got more into a routine and fell back in love with the gym...Now I'm there every morning. It's just second nature to wake up, put on my gym clothes, and go. Everyone is different when it comes to anxiety, but if you can figure out *why* you are anxious about going to the gym, then maybe try to work through that, if you can. I hope this helps...

YES!! I hate the feeling of being watched!! That's what triggers it a lot of the time even though I can see people clearly either watching tv or talking with their friends! I do really want to start going in the mornings but I'm so freaked out about how many people *might* be there which is so so silly. But that is wonderful advice, maybe I just need one morning outside of my normal routine and just scope out the place again. Thank you dear!
  • dizzybizz
    dizzybizz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lynne - it is important to work out why you feel anxious. Is it to do with your injury or a more generalised anxiety? Everyone feels anxious at some point in their life eg before job interviews, and that is perfectly normal. I have suffered from anxiety for years - at times under control and at other times full blown panic attacks. I had an issue with going to the gym after a particularly bad panic attack where my heart rate was super high. I now go 5 times a week but never push myself to the max in case my heart rate gets too high - however I force myself to go as I reckon the gym is a safer place to have a heart attack than at home!
    I have never discussed this 'exercise anxiety' with anyone either. I did manage to be referred to a psychologist to help with the panic attacks and she gave me useful advice on dealing with generalised anxiety. A big part of the handouts she gave me to use at home focus on distracting your mind from the anxiety increasing situation or thinking it through logically - i.e for me this is reassuring myself that I am unlikely to be having a heart attack and moderating my breathing. Breathing exercises certainly seem to help. Try this site for some basic advice and further links http://www.thefamilygp.com/nhstopic/Anxiety.htm
    I would also suggest trying a pilates or yoga class to get you back into the gym - both are very good at reducing stress levels. I started with a yoga class when I returned to the gym for that very reason. If you can why not share your concerns with a close friend or relative who you know will not be judgemental - sometimes just chatting about it helps put things into a clearer perspective. Best of luck to you x
  • dizzybizz
    dizzybizz Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here is another link to a relaxation guide - hope you don't find this Doctor's voice irritating but this page has other useful links too http://www.nhs.uk/Video/Pages/anxiety-control-training-podcast.aspx
  • xkitxkatxkaix
    Options
    I wouldn't call it exercise anxiety, that's not it at all. It's just the people there that keep me away. I would join a clad but again, people. Until I'm more comfortable at the gum just by myself then I can start to think about taking classes.
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I have serious anxiety issues, too. I was able to control them for years with just exercise and a diet with foods that lower anxiety. Now, since I've hit menopause I've had to take meds, but if you google "anxiety diet" you'll find a lot of websites with suggestions of foods to add that help anxiety. While I think it's great to examine your feelings to see if something is causing your anxiety, I've experienced anxiety with no cause whatsoever. It's just part of the disorder. Maybe you can start small...walk in with your headphones on already, do 30 minutes on a treadmill,then leave. You wouldn't even have to make eye contact. I've found that first step is always the hardest.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Talk to your doctor. If social anxiety and panic attacks are something you've had for a while, you might need something to help with it. But no one can really determine that except your doctor. There's things you can do to lessen the anxiety, but I can tell you from experience that none of them worked for me. They might for you and they're worth trying, but if it doesn't or gets worse, talk to your doctor about it. They're in a better position to help you than random internet forum posters.
  • arlenemorales311
    arlenemorales311 Posts: 2 Member
    Options