Weight loss and quitting smoking

Options
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to continue with weight loss/maintenence whilst quitting smoking? Its only my first day today but i feel myself reaching for the sweets at work too often!!

Any help appreciated :)

Replies

• kdcatt
    kdcatt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it, but you pretty much just have to be strong. I quit about 1.5 months ago and have managed to maintain/lose a little weight. Do not expect too much and your short term goal (1-2 months) may need to be just to maintain your current weight. That would still be better than gaining because of quitting. Also, taking a quick walk (unless that was an old smoking trigger) when you crave a cig or sweet could help. Small Dum Dum lollipops, as long as you are counting them and not using too many, can give you the oral fixation and a small amount of sweet. Someone once suggested eating a pickle to help with chocolate cravings, although I have no clue why, it worked for me.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I used a combination of the patch and the lozenge for 24 weeks. Then just the lozenge for about a year. I really don't think my food cravings were terrible. I utilized the dum dum lollipops for car trips (or eating sunflower seeds in-shell, where I'd put 2 or 3 in my mouth and just use my tongue and teeth to de-shell them -- it sounds lame, but it takes like 15 minutes to eat 3 seeds). And I took up crochet. And that year just FLEW BY... lol, not really.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I struggled with quitting smoking for much of my 18 years as a smoker.

In March 2014 i read "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" by Allen Carr (i know, the title is silly), and quit smoking on March 8, 2014.

Not only have i been entirely nicotine free since then, with no real frustration or other problems, but the perspective he gave me helped me understand my eating habits as well.

Not only did i quit smoking in March 2014, but in June 2014 i started eating healthy and i have dropped approximately 40 pounds since then.
  • xoxrobot
    xoxrobot Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm currently going through the exact same thing. Trying to lose 100lbs and quit smoking at the same time is difficult. I've found that if you have a craving for a smoke try doing something active instead to take your mind off of it. If I find myself wanting to go buy some I force myself to go for a run. It's incredibly hard, but it's all about will power. You can do it :)
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It can be done...it sucks, but it can be done. I quit July 1st. I use a nicotine replacement and have been doing well. Staying away from smokers helps alot. My worst cravings are when I'm at my parents or even walking in a front enterence with smoke. Keeping a with my calorie count makes the food craving easier because I only have X many calories a day cravings or no cravings.
  • Ticklemynose
    Ticklemynose Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I hear you, I am doing it too! Please add me if you need accountability buddies!
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Personally speaking, I focused first on the weight and getting that in a good rhythm, then added exercise, then when I felt mentally ready quit the smoking. I use a Vapor when I have a craving but it's been quite easy to not even think about them. You have to find what works best for you though.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I used Chantix and was done with smoking in 2 months on the drug. It worked great for me with no side effects and only 2 months of copay. I'm nicotine free for 7 years now and only had the rare craving for it, but more for the social aspects than anything else (drinking and smoking or the after dinner smoke, etc.). I didn't gain weight until two years ago.

I found that it helped to be resolved in doing this and have an active goal in mind. There was a 5K that I wanted to run and when I was smoking, this wasn't a possibility. I did the 5K in 35 min after 6 months of not smoking. It helped to have this goal because you knew that the one cigarette would set you back days if not weeks of training.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I was a heavy smoker. My doctor and I discussed the potential for weight gain and she basically told me to do my best, but to focus on quitting smoking since, at the time, that was the biggest threat to my health. Basically, focus on one issue at a time because if you try to do them both simultaneously, chances are you'll probably fail - at both.

I have been smoke-free for 4 years and am now continuing to deal with the weight loss. I'm down 55lbs and counting...

Good luck to you. It's sooooo worth it!

:)

• lchillies
    lchillies Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :smile: I hadnt logged in since i wrote this and its good to see others have quit succesfully! Im finding the hardest part is when im at work and all i want to do is eat if i cant smoke! However i have also accepted if i put on a little but whilst quitting, its much healthier than staying a smoker
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I Quit 9 months ago no weight gain and do lose. I started using a vaporizer. Very few cravings for a smoke and I get my sweets with the liquid in it...from moon mist ice cream to harvest berry etc. I recommend it.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Allen Carr-how to stop smoking. You're welcome
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Smoked for almost 30 years, quit 1 year ago, (cold turkey) no weight gain from it.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Quit more than 2 years ago - losing weight just fine and love the freedom of not wasting health & money.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i quit smoking last year.

losing weight has been this year (and next LOLOL!)

take one major challenge at a time or youll be REALLY miserable and probably not do as well as you could with either.
  • _0o0o0o_
    _0o0o0o_ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking a few months into my weight loss. I did see some impact on the speed of my weight loss, but since I quit I've still lost 15lbs or so. I wasn't a super heavy smoker (4-6 cigs per day), but I still used smoking to help me manage my hunger and once it was gone I had to find some new tricks keep myself in line.
  • angusrgray
    angusrgray Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Electronic Cigs!

I quit a 25 a day Marlboro habit last year and moved to Ecigs. 9 Months later, and down to lowest nicotine level (.3mg) on e liquids, began weight loss. 3 months up to date have lost 31 lbs.

Still needed a little nicotine to stave off the hunger initially on the diet, and jeez what a difference being able to breath properly when exercising.

As soon as I hit my target weight (in about a month and half) the next target will be to bin the ecigs.