Can't lose weight

Options
I am 68 years old been on a low carb diet for 5 weeks and have only lost 51/2pounds treadmill 30 min a day weight train 3 days a week with a personal trainer have any suggestions .
Vicki2006. Thank you

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You've lost a pound a week - that's great! I don't see any issues at all here. Patience my dear - you didn't gain the weight overnight and you won't lose it overnight.
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    5.5 in 5 weeks is more than 1lb a week which is good progress.
    If you are weight training you are probably also retaining some water in the muscles.
  • WandaMM1
    WandaMM1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ready2Rock... 1 pound a week is awesome and should be celebrated. Are you watching any other food intake besides carbs? Total intake of calories can be too high even when eating a low carb diet.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Exactly where is the issue here?
  • hobomclacey
    hobomclacey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You're doing amazing! Don't get discouraged just because of fab diets promising more weight loss than a pound a week. A pound a week is healthy and manageable! Switch to measuring yourself to see all the fat that is being replaced with muscle! Muscle weighs more than fat so your scale will not show you all the benefits of what you are doing.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    1 pound a week is awesome.

BTW MUSCLE does not weight more than fat. One pound of muscle takes up less space than one pound of fat. You will have to do a bit more than walking on a treadmill for 30 minutes to build up muscle, but hats off to you for moving.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I agree; to many people watch TV shows like biggest loser and extreme weight loss and think they can do that. You need to remember those people's caloric intake is managed by professionals and they workout like 4 hours a day. Bump your workouts to 45 minutes instead of 30 and you might pick up another 1/2 lb a week. Other than that; great job; a pound a week is nothing to sneeze at.
  • vicki2006
    vicki2006 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You guys have really made me feel better. I will go up to 45 min. On treadmill . I guess I was going buy what my sister did losing 6pounds in a week on the low carb. Thank you , thank you I can do this
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    vicki2006 wrote: »
    You guys have really made me feel better. I will go up to 45 min. On treadmill . I guess I was going buy what my sister did losing 6pounds in a week on the low carb. Thank you , thank you I can do this

Comparison is the thief of joy. You lost weight, you should be proud of yourself.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    vicki2006 wrote: »
    She might have lost six pounds in a week, but it was almost certainly mostly water weight, not fat.

It sounds like you're doing just fine.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is nothing to scoff at. WTG!