How do you deal with your loose skin issues?

Options
This is pretty embarrassing but I'm in desperate need of help and don't know where else to turn to.

I am about 30 pounds from my goal weight of losing exactly 200 pounds. I knew from the start that I would have loose skin, but I didn't know it would be as bad as it is. It's my entire stomach, thighs, and breasts that are suffering. I'm constantly uncomfortable in my own skin, not exaggerating.

Unfortunately, it's going to take me a couple of years or so to be able to save the large amount of money I would need to fix these issues and to feel better. I have good insurance, and they won't help with anything as it's 'cosmetic'. I'm actually pretty annoyed about it.

In the meantime, does anyone here have advice on what I should be doing? Special clothing/garments that would keep my skin from rubbing? I work long days where I'm moving a lot and my skin gets irritated and gets rashes very easily. :/ I feel kind of hopeless at this point.

Replies

• leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost as much as you but I can tell you that spandex is a friend. Wear it under loose fitting clothing especially and sometimes under skirts because I do not have "thigh gap" and if I'm dancing or something it rubs. Brands like Spanx and I think I've gotten some from the outlet stores around here. Also look up "control bodysuits". Kind of keeps everything where it's supposed to be.

That being said, don't give up on insurance. If you are getting sores and rashes and continually document it with your physician you might be able to get insurance to pay for it. Because those are medical issues, not vanity. It's like breast reduction surgery. If a woman has constant back pain or other real issues, some insurance companies will cover it.

Peace
    ~leslisa
  • richardfaulhaber
    richardfaulhaber Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    check these out on amazon HOTER® Mens Slimming Body Shaper Vest Shirt Abs Abdomen Slim, White so far the best thing I have found to keep all my skin in place.
  • Purplekat921
    Purplekat921 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree with leslisa. Tell your dr your concerns, make dr spots for once a month, and have pictures taken each time. Also, if your dr writes a letter to the insurance company it would help tremendously. It's not simply cosmetic if you are having physical problems from it.

I agree with spandex. If you want some lighter, yet spandex underwear get "lovepats" underwear online. Also, wearing spandex and tight elastic sports bras (justmysize has cheap ones) regularly might help firm it up some.

I believe most Drs will do the surgery if you've lost 40% or more body weight and kept it off for a year.

Hang in there. Look at everything you've already done! An incredible feat!! You can do this.

Ps. Don't get discouraged by Drs, insurance. After working for many I can tell you they are people just like us and will also sometimes have completely different opinions. If you don't feel like they are working for you- find a different one. Google insurances for skin surgery and Drs in your area.

Good luck!