Cycling

Options
So for those of you who live or have been to Tampa, the downtown now has a 5 mile long river walk that goes from the top of the Hillsborough River all the way down to the bay. I happen to live at the top end and have been renting these Coast Bikes (bike stations- $5 an hour to use) and have been cycling about three time a week for about five-seven miles each trip. I enjoy the ride, and it's a different kind of workout for me since I'm usually in the gym.

I have two questions or items for discussion:

- are the benefits of cycling strictly cardio or can I expect to see muscle change?
- I may look into purchasing a bike of my own now that it is an established routine of mine. I looked online- what type of bike should I be looking for? This is for urban riding, mostly on the walk but some on the street. Maybe 10mph.

Appreciate the help :)

Replies

• fullylugged
    fullylugged Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Mandy: we lived many years in Tampa Bay. Lots of bike trails around as well. Sounds like you would enjoy a comfortable, upright style bike, like a Trek Pure or an Electra Townie. You can Google these. You will get better defined thighs and calves and a tighter butt from cycling, but it won't be very noticeable at the distances you are talking about. Get a comfortable helmet and a bright flashing tailight. Safety first!
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    You won't see much, if any, change from 5-7 miles at 10mph. Your legs and lungs will get a little stronger, but not visibly so.

I'd recommend going to a local bike shop and test-riding some bikes to see what is comfortable to sit on (handlebars and seat wise, although you can always upgrade the seat). Since you're not looking to go crazy fast, you might enjoy either a beach cruiser or a hybrid type bike. They have you sit a bit more upright than road bike drop bars, which is good/safer for city riding--it gives you better control and makes it a bit more natural to look around for obstacles/cars/pedestrians etc. Also, most of them have attachment points on the rear wheel to add a rack and basket if you want to bike for errands.

Make sure to get a good bike helmet, too! :)
  • MerMandy17
    MerMandy17 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Most of the stuff I do during the week is Pilates, yoga, pure barre, and some machine-based cardio. So this is supplementing all that. I'm definitely getting a cardio workout and am not just pleasure riding, but the walk has a speed limit because of the pedestrian traffic.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Oh, I think it's awesome! My bike commute is similar--speed restricted, although probably not nearly as pretty as your ride. My commuter is an old hybrid with fenders and a rack. I'm basing my thoughts on that kind of ride as exercise based on my experience. I do find my legs feel it after I come back from vacation, or not riding during the iciest part of the winter. So there is a certain amount of strength there. But you're not going to get sprinter thighs from it!

4472_legs_2.jpg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    You won't see much, if any, change from 5-7 miles at 10mph. Your legs and lungs will get a little stronger, but not visibly so.

I'd recommend going to a local bike shop and test-riding some bikes to see what is comfortable to sit on (handlebars and seat wise, although you can always upgrade the seat). Since you're not looking to go crazy fast, you might enjoy either a beach cruiser or a hybrid type bike. They have you sit a bit more upright than road bike drop bars, which is good/safer for city riding--it gives you better control and makes it a bit more natural to look around for obstacles/cars/pedestrians etc. Also, most of them have attachment points on the rear wheel to add a rack and basket if you want to bike for errands.

Make sure to get a good bike helmet, too! :)

+1

• MerMandy17
    MerMandy17 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My employer has an on site gym that I use during the week when I'm in the office but cannot work out on weekend or when I telecommute. So the cycling is my workout those days plus it's a half mile walk to the bike rental rack, and I do yoga as stretching before and after for about ten minutes each. I guess I'm just curious if I'll see toning only on the lower half or of your core and arms get any sort of benefit.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Your arms and core do some work to support your upper body while you bike, yes. Especially if your legs are weaker. Will you gain muscle from it? No.

If you want to add upper body/core work, do some pushups before and afterwards. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    What a cyclists legs look like after a 250km stage in the Tour de France..

gWQwf05.jpg
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yikes Mr Knight
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,119 Member
    Options
    MerMandy17 wrote: »
    My employer has an on site gym that I use during the week when I'm in the office but cannot work out on weekend or when I telecommute. So the cycling is my workout those days plus it's a half mile walk to the bike rental rack, and I do yoga as stretching before and after for about ten minutes each. I guess I'm just curious if I'll see toning only on the lower half or of your core and arms get any sort of benefit.

If you start to increase the distance you ride, and the intensity of your rides ... you will see a difference.

I build quite reasonable quad muscles with cycling, but it takes regular riding 5+ days a week including intervals, hill climbs, and relatively brisk distance cycling.

As for your core and arms ... cycling will do next to nothing for those. It will do a little bit, but nothing significant. The only time I've noticed that my core has had any sort of workout was riding stoker on our tandem over a long distance (100 miles in a day). There's a balance thing that's a bit different on a tandem than on a single bicycle. The only times I've noticed that my arms were sore was if I had my bicycle set up incorrectly.

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I'm newer to cycling and love it

It isn't a big ride but 30-45 mile rides 4 days a week.

I have noticed my legs getting more muscular.

That tear drop above the knee is showing up. Not sure what that muscle is.
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    i started cycling about six weeks ago in much the same fashion you're describing - Nashville has tons of greenways and a pretty ubiquitous bike rental outfit, so I signed up for an annual membership and started riding...slow at first, as a result of being a sedentary fata$$ for most of the last few years, but I've worked my way up quite a bit. yesterday, i managed over 17 miles with a short break in the middle.

the "short breaks" are due to a policy the bike rental outfit has that enforces extra charges for time over an hour. so i can check the bike out as often as i want, as many days as i want, but i can only have it out for an hour at a time if i don't want to incur extra charges.

i've lost 37 pounds since Memorial Day weekend, though, via a combination of calorie deficit, walking, and hitting the bikes. at some point, i'll definitely be buying a decent one so I don't have the time and location constraints.

i've been going somewhat easy on myself in the workout department, because I just don't have that much confidence in my physical health, and i've been pacing myself as such.

i can feel a difference since i started this regimen, for sure - but i'm not sure how much of that i can attribute strictly to biking alone...it's definitely important to me, though.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    From what you described, there will likely be minimal/negligible muscle/strength gains. Muscle endurance will likely improve, especially if you aren't used to cycling. Cardio gains could also be meaningful.

As for the type of bike... whatever you are comfortable on will be more than fine. Probably something classified as a hybrid/commuter/urban/fitness bike would be a good starting point.

Lastly, you don't "spot tone" - cycling will increase your calorie burn on those days, which may impact your calorie deficit (depending on your diet). This may lead to weight loss (again, depending on diet). Where that weight loss comes from and how your body looks as a result of it will vary greatly person to person and is largely dependent on genetics.
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I would advise get an "off road" capable bike. That way you can ride it on the pavement or trail. Riding off road gives you a lot of training with less speed or distance , and less motor vehs.
    I think biking helps your overall health. Good non impact calorie burner. You'll see more improvement in your legs and cardio. You can always incorporate push ups or other upper body into or after your ride for upper body strength.
    10 mph is fine starting out. You will get faster and more at home on the bike and in traffic. Be patient with yourself. Any speed you do on the bike is better than the TV.
    Do some research and get a bike that fits YOU. A bad fit and you probably won't stay with it.
    Ditto on the Helmet. Ride safely.
    Enjoy
  • Theo_Mellis
    Theo_Mellis Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My friends always ask me what bike to buy, I have couple thousand of commuting miles under my belt.

This is Florida after all, I know bay shore/South Tampa area well and bike all over the city often.

An Older Road bike is your friend and can do everything you need.

Mountain bikes and Hybrids are pigs for commuting, they're much heavier and the wide tire make them slow.

Find nice used older road bike steel or aluminum frame you'll be happy.

Make sure to get lights and Helmet as well.

Be Safe

• aaroessler
    aaroessler Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I lived in Tampa for 5 years. You'll see muscle change if you do it enough and go fast enough. Velendrome cyclists have some huge legs! I'd recommend getting a low end mountain bike. You're not concerned about going fast on pavement and mountain bike tires and suspension is more forgiving if you do hit a big bump in the road. If you feel a little adventurous you can even take it out to Flatwoods, Balm Bouyette, or Alafi; all have easy (green) and flat mountain bike trail options.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Cycling is fun, relaxing, a change up from the gym, and good for you

How far you take it determines how much it works you

I'm going to ride about 25 miles later this morning and keep it around 17 mph. That will be a bit of work but not that much. For my body weight and all that I estimate 1200 calories and a good cardio workout

Last week I drove up to a hilly area for a shorter 21 mile ride. But it was lots of hills and smoked my legs to keep up some speed

Cycling can turn into a great activity to do with friends or a club.

Group rides are fun. Drafting and clicking off some miles in the 20+ mph range is its own kind of fun

Try out some bikes and enjoy it. You are not locked in to anything.

You may enjoy riding and get a road bike in a year or two!

Good luck with it and enjoy the ride

• VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Do not get a mountain bike unless you plan to go off road. I love off road riding, but it's harder to do in the city (I used to bike a lot on my parent's property). I wouldn't personally get a hybrid, as I feel specialized is better, but you may like it. They tend to have wider seats, and a softer ride.

As far as muscle gains, yes. You can get pretty pumped legs. I like to supplement my bike rides with body weight exercises after, but that's just because I enjoy it.