Treadmill success anyone?

Options
kindra2011
kindra2011 Posts: 24 Member
I'm very interested in buying a treadmill and using interval training to hopefully see results.
Anyone have any treadmill only (or mostly) success?
I'm a mom of two and college student so I may add in some at home workouts also.

Replies

• briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    When I first lost weight after my first son I lost 120 lbs then 110 with my second child..all walking on a treadmill. .I am working on dropping on my last time losing my pregnancy weight usimg the treadmill once again.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Well, I've been using a treadmill for nearly 15 years and it works for me. I don't know what you mean by "success" because exercise is not that related to losing weight. I use a treadmill because where I live, it's over 100˚ for half the year, so I decompress, get some cardio and get a fair amount of reading done while walking on my treadmill. I don't like gyms because I leave my dog alone all day and enjoy being home when I'm not at work.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I went on one at the store and ended up flying off of it.

In HS we would use them. Got to like them a bit but still a little freaked out too

Personally, I like the stationary bike more. Have a love/hate relationship with the elliptical
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I have a high quality True treadmill. It is quiet and has a nice, solid walking surface. I have never felt like I was going to fall off. I generally go from 3.5 to 3.8 mph.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I have a high quality True treadmill. It is quiet and has a nice, solid walking surface. I have never felt like I was going to fall off. I generally go from 3.5 to 3.8 mph.

the speed was really high and was probably 5-7 years old. It was an experience lol

• Miles_to_Go
    Miles_to_Go Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My success has been 90% due to tracking calories on MFP.

That being said, I do own a Precor treadmill and love it. No more excuses that it's too hot, cold, humid, dark, rainy, snowy or that I'm embarrassed to exercise around others. I have had great success increasing my cardio fitness on it, especially after losing 45 lbs. I am running now at 7mph, when I started I was running at 4mph (I've been a jogger for decades so started out with some level of fitness even when obese. )

I combat treadmill boredom with Netflix and the Zombie, Run! App.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    weight loss and weight management in general is about 99.9% diet...

I ride about 60 - 80 miles per week...I run a couple 5Ks a week most weeks...I lift 2-3x per week...I walk my dog every other day and I'm in general pretty active outside of my office. I've gained weight, lost weight, and maintained weight doing all of that...the difference between those three weight management objectives was not my exercise, it was my diet.
  • lianachu13
    lianachu13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Not treadmill but I lost my first 50lbs pretty much exclusively walking for exercise so, with a good diet, it can certainly be done.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill I bought a vision fitness and I got it on ebay with the help of friends I got it home. Total cost 250. and 1 pizza and a case of beer. Check craigslist or ebay if you want someone who gave up on the whole exercise thing or needs the room you may fall into a deal.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I run 3 to 5 days a week, and two of those are on a treadmill. Partly because I don't like running in the dark, and partly because I like being able to calibrate my workout to get exactly what I want out of it. My marathon time has improved 70 minutes over the 4 years I've been running, and am working on knocking off another 17 to 20 in order to qualify for Boston.
  • cici8912
    cici8912 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are great! I started using mine 5 months ago, I could barely run for 3 minutes straight now I can do 25 minutes...with the treadmill and portion control, I've lost 45 lbs since February.....I love it!
  • malathen
    malathen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am planning to buy a treadmill but I Dnt know which one is the best one, wat certain points I should take care of?!!! Any advises?! It will be used by around 5 persons guess !! Lol
  • triciareeves1
    triciareeves1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my treadmill. That being said- I was running/walking 6 miles a day 8 months ago. Then I got depressed, got off MFP, and started eating badly. I got back to eating well and lost 20 pounds. The other day, I jumped back on the treadmill and ran for 45 minutes non-stop!!! Having that 20 pounds off really made a difference. Needless to say, I am getting back into the swing of things with it. I feel great. The pounds are coming off. It was the best $100 (off Craigslist) that I ever spent.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 60's and walking is my exercise. Three good things about the treadmill:
    1. Less chance of being run over by a car, again.
    2. Less chance of being mugged.
    3. Air-conditioning.
  • kindra2011
    Options
    Thanks for all your stories, I do also plan to start watching what I eat along with using the treadmill. I'm hoping to lose around 50lbs as I'm about 30lb heavier now than prepregnancy and 50lb loss would put me in a healthy weight range.
  • kindra2011
    Options
    cici8912 wrote: »
    Treadmills are great! I started using mine 5 months ago, I could barely run for 3 minutes straight now I can do 25 minutes...with the treadmill and portion control, I've lost 45 lbs since February.....I love it!
    So just portion control and using a treadmill have helped you lose 45lb? Any other helpful advise you might have?
  • Purplekat921
    Purplekat921 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60 lbs so far with my Fitbit and treadmill.
  • kindra2011
    Options
    I've lost 60 lbs so far with my Fitbit and treadmill.
    do you follow a certain diet as well? how long did it take you to lose this?
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yup.. I'll vouch for the treadmill.. Diet has removed the weight, but the treadmill has built endurance.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!