The Biggest Loser

Options
Sam101my
Sam101my Posts: 128 Member
What do you all think of the show The Biggest Loser? Do you think it is realistic, a healthy way to lose weight, good for a person's self-image, or what about even the name..The Biggest LOSER..I know, I know..They are losing weight..But LOSER? I am going to refrain from giving my opinion..I will soon. Go.

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Well for some of the contestants that way to lose weight helps there health in the long term. I really don't find that show entertaining though.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    MFP weight loss would never make a good "reality" show. Let's face CICO - Lifestyle Change - Slow & steady wins the race....these are practical, these are healthy.......it's the extreme that sells advertising.
  • nicoleambersumpter
    nicoleambersumpter Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Im not keen.. But that's because they get disappointed when they "only" lose 7lb ...I don't think that's a healthy attitude to adopt.. I know it's a game show, but..
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I much prefer the show Extreme Weight Loss (mainly because it is one person's journey over a whole year, and Chris Powell is a beautiful man), but I think if anyone, anywhere is taking the proper steps to better their health then that is amazing.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    It's a game show. In the process, some of the people get a good start on being healthy. And a few of them keep it going. This is a good thing. I don't like how they let people out early that were really into it and doing well. I don't like the "game show" aspect. For some of them, this is serious stuff, and they really do need the help.

For those people, it's OK to lose weight the way they are doing it. They have a lot of reserves.

The bad thing about the show is people think weight loss should be fast. And, for most of us, it's very slow and tedious and difficult.

But, for those people that are really way over-weight, I think it's good. I just wish they changed the format a bit so even for those that get voted off, they continue getting help in some way.

If I exercise like they do it would be quick. Who has time for that though?
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I loath that show.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I thought the show was entertaining in it's earlier seasons where there was actual competition, it focused on the physical demands, the things they learned, the contestant's personal growth and the shock factor of the weight loss. In the last 5 seasons or so I have completely lost interest because it has become more about everyone's story. Someone ends up in tears on every show.
  • mjgrin
    mjgrin Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I watch the show for motivation. I watch them work their *kitten* off and then I don't eat crap food the next day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    90% of the contestants have gained back a SIGNIFICANT amount of weight. Because like all "diet" programs, they are FORCED to eat a certain way. CICO still wins regardless of how it's approached. Problem is that when a contestant doesn't adhere to the BL diet plan, they feel failure and more than likely go into the "defeated" mode, so previous eating habits reoccur.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    mjgrin wrote: »
    I watch the show for motivation. I watch them work their *kitten* off and then I don't eat crap food the next day.
    Define crap food though? Calorie dense? Nutritionally deficient? Because any food can be eaten in moderation without having to feel guilty.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    I think it is so unrealistic. Workout for hours everyday and eat less than 1000 calories !! How is it teaching them to change their habits? I think they treat the contestants badly
  • Sam101my
    Sam101my Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    When the young gal that won (I can't remember which season it was...I quit watching it a long time ago) was way too thin and the audience applauded her, I was horrified. I cannot remember her name, but even Jillian was horrified (I think she quit the show soon after).