34 year old diabetic dad need to loose 100 pounds

Options
nothing much to say I am a big guy and I am was perfectly happy with that till recently when I went to the doctor and he told me I was diabetic and that if I wanted to live longer I needed to loose 100 pounds ASAP!!!! so far been doing good so confusing when it comes to the diabetes though eat this don't eat that so I am just taking slowly killing the diet thing right now and with my mess sugar is down to normal again , anybody else in the same boat ?

Replies

• misshailijo
    misshailijo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor and they diagnosed me as pre-diabetic and I also have to lose about 100 pounds.

Do not get discouraged! We are a community and we are here to help you!

Good luck with your goals!!!
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Carlos, Considering you were perfectly happy being 100 lbs overweight, I hope you can find the determination to do this. It was never enough what others wanted or thought, it had to be something I wanted to do for myself.

I was diagnosed pre diabetic also. I did not so much change my eating habits. ( I never ate cookies, cakes etc...) but I began logging my food, cutting my portions in half and counting calories. After I lost 45 lbs, my numbers came back to normal. I believe it was the "weight loss" more than any change in my food choices that helped. good luck!
  • lucstone
    lucstone Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'll be 40 in December. A couple years ago I was diagnosed with Alpha 1 Antitrypsin Deficiency with emphysema and chronic bronchitis. I'd been on every medicine there is for asthma from 5 or 6 years old and on inhalers, a nebulizer and steroids at the point I was diagnosed. It woke me up a bit. With a lifetime of medicine seemingly making things worse I decided to see what else there was I could do to medicate myself. After some research, I personally went hardcore vegan for about 5 months. In that time I lost the hacky cough, stopped the constant weezing, notice I didn't need my rescue inhalers or nebulizer after activities, I stopped the steroids, and I went from 240 pounds to190 pounds and am maintaining that to this point. Now you don't have to go hardcore vegan, but I would say replacing some of the foods you normally eat with assorted vegetables would be in order here. Good luck Carlos.
  • CarlosSoriano
    CarlosSoriano Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Farfromthetree thanks , I think It sounds bad the way I posted it I knew I had a weight problem and it wasn't good I was just fine in the sense that I wasn't self conscious about it but yes a change is coming I am 15 pounds down since the day I went to the doctors , I have found my determination it's just hard with all the food temptations, I miss food well bad food lol
  • CarlosSoriano
    CarlosSoriano Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone good to know I am not the only one and I wish you guys all good luck as well
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Farfromthetree thanks , I think It sounds bad the way I posted it I knew I had a weight problem and it wasn't good I was just fine in the sense that I wasn't self conscious about it but yes a change is coming I am 15 pounds down since the day I went to the doctors , I have found my determination it's just hard with all the food temptations, I miss food well bad food lol

one more thing...if you get frustrated, ask your doctor about Victoza. It is a diabetes medication but can work wonders for getting your appetite under control and jump starting weight loss:)