Better way to squat?

Options
Is there any way to squat with weights besides dumbbells and smith machines and squat racks? I've been squatting with dumbbells for a while, and I'm getting to the point where I can squat heavier than I can lift so the dumbbells won't work for me anymore. I tried squat racks and everything, but since my back is so bony, it hurts my spine so much that I can't even concentrate on my form. Even with a pad on the bar. I'm just super frustrated with the whole thing.

Replies

• Naener
    Naener Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I say, build up your shoulders and upper back muscles so you can A.) lift heavier dumbells and B.) put more muscle on your bones to more comfortably support the squat bars!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    The bar should be resting on your traps. Not your spine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

• besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Take a crossfit starting class. Super fun, I promise!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    besee_2000 wrote: »

You currently have poor form lifting weights? Why not try crossfit? Sounds like a great idea.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I completely get what you're saying. When I started back squatting, if felt uncomfortable on my trap area, even though I have traps and I was doing it right. It would literally feel bruised for days. You're body adjusts though and it will stop hurting. Just stick it out for a couple weeks and you'll see what I mean.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,367 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. There was nowhere to rest a bar so that it didn't grind on vertebrae. I guess my traps are nonexistent, or my spine protrudes further.

I bought a Squat Sponge. Problem solved. Also comes in handy for padding the bar for hip thrusts.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

You currently have poor form lifting weights? Why not try crossfit? Sounds like a great idea.

It's not a terrible one. My husband had horrible form squatting and improved immensely after joining CrossFit.
    Contrary to popular belief, they do a lot of foundation work and form is important.
    The trainer at the CrossFit box here is a former powerlifter and has a powerlifting coach himself.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Your bar position is probably off...

high-bar-vs-low-bar-on-back.jpg?resize=580%2C212

• taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    "Better" is a tough one, but:

Front Squat? (no spine on that side, and it doesn't sound like you'll run into your adam's apple :wink: )

See also:
    You could also drop weight and do split squats
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    This.

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Your bar position is probably off...

high-bar-vs-low-bar-on-back.jpg?resize=580%2C212

+1 The bar shouldn't be on your neck.

Also you don't have to only increase weight to get a better workout. There are two other variables besides intensity that you can use, volume (how many times you lift the weight) and frequency (how many times you train the body part). If you can't increase intensity, put more volume into your routine or squat twice per week.

And last but not least, odd ball squat variations. Not better, just different.
    Zercher squats
    Zercher-Squat-Bottom.jpg

belt squats
    hqdefault.jpg
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    proper form and bar placement using the squat rack is the best way to go. i dont know if there is a better alternative to go heavier and mimic a squat without the bar on your back , maybe deficit deads? have you tried front squats, or zercher squats?
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    You need your grip closer to squeeze your traps together to make a shelf for the bar. Can't get them close enough then you need to work on shoulder mobility.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I have a Total Gym Fit, with a removable Squat Stand; it's the only way I can do it without losing my balance because I am lying in an incline position.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Front squats and Zerchers are good options. I don't back squat. I front squat for the most part but every once in a while do Zerchers as my high volume squat.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I agree with first reply and others, at first the bar even left bruises on me,but since I work all of my body it all got better and it stopped being awkward.
  • Dadof3bbg40
    Dadof3bbg40 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Do one leg squats
    No weights
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

You are good people.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have a Total Gym Fit, with a removable Squat Stand; it's the only way I can do it without losing my balance because I am lying in an incline position.

Lying while squatting?

To the OP have someone who knows what they are doing check you out. You might be able to reposition the bar or try another squat all together. I rest the bar directly at the base of my neck because low bar seems to push me forward, front squats are hard with high weights because my wrists don't seem to flex enough to rest the bar on my chest and overhead squats limit my weight significantly.

You might push your squats harder at a given weight. That's a simple way to increase intensity if you feel confident. I wouldn't recommend simply adding reps/sets at a fixed weight. You start to move from gaining strength to building size (assuming your diet allows) and if you are purposely training heavy that's not what you are working towards.