relationships make you gain weight

Options
jordanstapleton1
jordanstapleton1 Posts: 16 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
me and my boyfriend have been together for 2 years now and we've started to realise that we've both put on weight since we first met. I know this is because whenever we're together all we want to do is pig out and watch films. However we both exercise (not together, I'm apart of a dance team and attend Curves) it's just the food is such a big problem. Any tips on what food we should try when we want to "pig out", and how to make it healthy? And also what activities we could do together to stop us from staying inside all the time? Thanks :)

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Maybe the two of you could take walks together, go hiking play some basketball or whatever activity you enjoy. If you both really want to lose, there are so many things to do. Find some you like and go do them! :)
  • jordanstapleton1
    Options
    @Kalikel that's a good idea, we are becoming quite lazy haha! thank you :)
  • tithed
    tithed Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Relationships do that! All I want to do after working a ten hour shift on my feet is curl up with my SO and watch a movie and snack on popcorn! We started working out together and going to the park, or if we want to go out somewhere, we go downtown, park far away from where our destination is and just explore. Great way to find new places. Also, pop your own popcorn in an air popper. You can literally eat a gigantic whole big bowl of it and it's under 300 calories. Or get a veggie plate. Those are delicious.
  • jordanstapleton1
    Options
    @tithed so glad someone else understands! But me and my boyfriend LOVE popcorn!! We do that but had no idea it was under 300 calories! thank you for the tip :)
  • meghrose17
    meghrose17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Me too! My boyfriend and I are both on here now for pretty much the same reason. We're trying cooking together instead of getting junk food and take-out to go with our Netflix lately. It's a fun thing to do together and we can make healthier recipes, too. Plus, adding in going for walks...

We also encourage each other; he has some active hobbies and I encourage him not to skip practice to stay in and on the couch with me, and if I skipped my morning workout and tell him I want to squeeze one in before dinner he'll make sure to give me the time to do it! :smile:
  • jordanstapleton1
    Options
    @meghrose17 sounds like you both motivate each other, well done to you both! My boyfriend is such a fussy eater its really hard to make healthy meals for us both :( but i'll be sure to give it more of a try! thank you :)
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I cook 90% of the meals which helps, also at night we try to get out for a walk.
  • jordanstapleton1
    Options
    @Nessiechickie can i ask how far do you walk?
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If he's involved in picking out the recipe that'll help. Same for activities, there are a billion things you could do: wii boxing, a video like P90x together, walking, jogging, hiking, swimming, tennis, gym, roller skating/blading, ice skating, riding bikes, trampoline, dance class (latin, rap, swing, blues, line, pole, belly whatever), martial arts classes, endless possibilites
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Being the literal type, I feel the need to remind you that the relationship didn't make you fat, it was the habits. Luckily, habits can be changed. Good luck!
  • jordanstapleton1
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @lilawolf wow thank you for that :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    So just an idea- are you familiar with groupon? I constantly see offers for couples cooking classes (with a lot of different food types) pop up for about $50 or less per couple. Not sure what your budget is like, but perhaps that would be a fun way for you guys to expand your food choices ao you can make some lower calorie, very tasty dishes.

I also see a lot of offers for couple activies (to get out of the house instead of wanting to snack at home) that are really great deals. The other week, my one significant other and I did a guided historical walking tour that was amazingly fun, cheep and burned calories. Last month we did couples massages that were also excellent. I really recommend you look at it.
  • jordanstapleton1
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @2snakeswoman i know i just needed a short and snappy title to get peoples attention haha! but thank you :)
  • jordanstapleton1
    Options
    @elphie754 we're only 18 but that sounds like a great way to try new things! Thank you :)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    You can make a rule like, "No food in the living room" or where ever you watch tv. It's so easy to mindlessly eat when you're watching movies.

If you do want to snack, you can try snacking on unbuttered popcorn. I get SkinnyPop and add seasoning to get flavor like garlic and chili or herbs like basil and oregano. Watermelon cut into thin wedges are easy to eat while watching a film and not that messy. Cherries with pits are also good, since you have to eat slowly to eat around the pit. Fruit-based popsicles are low calorie and easy to eat while watching films. You can also make your own using popsicle molds with crystal lite.
  • jordanstapleton1
    Options
    @leggup so many good ideas, thank you! :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    @elphie754 we're only 18 but that sounds like a great way to try new things! Thank you :)

It is! You can customize what types of deals you are interested in and find some awesome things, some of which are really cheap/at a 60% discount.

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I gained 10 or so lbs before marriage while we were dating and carried it for four years of marriage. We are both still foodies and live in a city full of great food, but calorie counting and being more active has helped me take off 21 lbs! I pre-plan the nights I know we will be sitting around and movie watching and include a good calorie burn before hand with a lot of water throughout the day and a pre-prepped snack. (Popcorn, celery and PB, fruit salad, etc)
  • jordanstapleton1
    Options
    @kkenseth congrats for the weight loss! But that's a good idea to pre-plan the nights and include a good calorie burn if need be! thank you :)
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    My fiancé and I go biking on local trails. I am trying to get him to start jogging with me. We also go hiking regularly.

As for snacks, maybe you can have some low-calorie popcorn? Or make your own trail mix.you can also buy a food dehydrator and make dried fruit or beef jerky, etc. Just be careful of calories because dehydrated food can add up quickly.