So many Yogurts to choose from

Options
13»

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I like plain Great Value Greek nonfat, which I add fruit and nuts to. 21 grams of protein.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Kirkland (Costco) brand of Non-fat Greek yogurt contains only nonfat milk and cultures in the ingredient list.

Yet, it's thick and creamy, so it must be possible to get a thick creamy Greek yogurt from non-fat milk and cultures alone; texture-wise I don't discern any difference between it and Fage 2%, though there is a bit of difference in mouth-feel between the two, not surprisingly.

1 cup/227g of Kirkland non-fat has 140 calories and 24g of protein.

• ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    cogsci wrote: »
    Why not make your own? This way you control what's in it!

Because if I had to make it myself, I wouldn't be eating yogurt. Part of it is the quick, individual convenience, especially when packing one for work.

"But you can make it ahead and put it in individual containers!"

Yup. Problem is, I'm not good with reusable containers for work. I usually end up with a bunch of dirty containers in the back of my car and a wish that I'd just bought the prepackaged stuff. Not proud of that fact, but I know myself well enough to know what I need to do to succeed.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    My preference is Fage 2% plain greek yogurt. I usually add fresh fruit or some jam to it. I also like the Tillamook brand greek yogurts.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Kirkland (Costco) brand of Non-fat Greek yogurt contains only nonfat milk and cultures in the ingredient list.

Yet, it's thick and creamy, so it must be possible to get a thick creamy Greek yogurt from non-fat milk and cultures alone; texture-wise I don't discern any difference between it and Fage 2%, though there is a bit of difference in mouth-feel between the two, not surprisingly.

1 cup/227g of Kirkland non-fat has 140 calories and 24g of protein.

I used to eat the Kirkland 0%, then tried the Mountain High 2% that Costco also sells. 2% is worth the few extra calories.
  • Bridgetthegre
    Bridgetthegre Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    New favorite yogurt - even beats my old fav Fage. SIGGI'S. Technically it's not Greek yogurt - it's "Iclandic Skyr". I'm not entirely sure what the difference is, since they're both strained yogurt, but omg GOOD. Thick, rich, tangy, while the berries are strained and mixed you don't have glops of jam drifting through the yogurt...excuse me SKYR. The whole thing is berry flavored - very homogenous. I don't even know how to pronounce skyr, but I swear I could eat this stuff every day, in fact I probably will. Less sugar and only 110 calories too. Sorry for the weird enthusiasm, I'm always hungry at breakfast and this stuff was GOOD.
  • gsayler860
    gsayler860 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like the Dannon brand that OP mentioned because it has a lot less sugar then many others (7 grams). For the same number of calories some other brands have more then double the sugar. Plus it has 80 calories for 5.3 ounces while most others are 100 or 120 calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I didn't realize that the triple zero yogurts had so much ADDED fiber too... I bought more.

Chicory root (ugh) .....thankfully I only bought 2 of these. Chicory root (inulin) gives be stomach pains.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I didn't realize that the triple zero yogurts had so much ADDED fiber too... I bought more.

Chicory root (ugh) .....thankfully I only bought 2 of these. Chicory root (inulin) gives be stomach pains.

Thankfully it doesn't bother me!
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Here's a comparison between Chobani, Fage and Siggi's that may be helpful:

leanitup.com/food-faceoffs-chobani-vs-fage-vs-siggis-which-greek-yogurt-is-the-sveltest-nutritional-powerhouse/
  • asbjrc427
    asbjrc427 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I usually have a serving of plain greek yogurt with about 100 g of frozen cherries or blueberries added. Then I sprinkle on a little bit of a packet of crystal light type water flavors (a packet will last me all week), and that adds a tiny bit of artificial sweetness for 1-2 calories (5 calories for the whole packet).

I was able to find the full fat version of Chobani at the local Hy-Vee, so I've been using that lately, but generally just try to find any plain greek yogurt for the protein.
  • petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I agree about Fage. I buy the 0% fat plain and add fruit or berries with a sprinkle of Trader Joe's honey roasted almonds and/or chia seeds.