Break the Equilibrium?

Options
So I've been tracking calories for about 3 weeks.....I'm always within 200 cals of my goal and I work out 4-6 times a week. But my number on the scale flucuates between 167-170 and I haven't actually *lost* any weight yet....Any ideas on how to break this initial barrier? I've thought about doing some interval training and eating more protein, stuff like that, but any advice would help...

-Kate

Replies

• SenoraMacias
    SenoraMacias Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I really never go over my cals (maybe one day a week), and I exercise 5-6 days a week, switching between walking, jogging, pilates, and several DVDs. :(
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    When you say workout, is it cardiovascular or weights. If both how much of each. I'll peek at your diary now and see if I can be any help.
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    Oops just realized your diary was private. I can prob help w out seeing if that's your preference. What are your nutrient ratios? Carbs protein and fat?
  • farsightxr20
    farsightxr20 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the MFP's calculators tend to overestimate the calories burned per minute for some cardio exercises, so if you're doing a lot of exercise and eating back most of your exercise calories, you may actually be eating back more calories than you burned.
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. I started zig zagging my calories and now I am dropping faster than I should be with my calorie intake. That seemed to really help me out.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. I started zig zagging my calories and now I am dropping faster than I should be with my calorie intake. That seemed to really help me out.

This is the answer.
    And you can Zig Zag your workouts too!
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    how do i make my diary public? i'll try and figure it out, but....

normally i eat a boiled egg or some kind of protein for breakfast
    have a midmorning snack of applesauce, yogurt, or almonds/cashews mix
    for lunch i have some kind of salad or a sandwich or something like that with a decent mix of protein and carbs---if its a salad i try to add nuts and wheat bread strips--not too much though
    afternoon i usually have either yogurt, almonds/cashews, or applesauce--whatever i didn't have that morning
    and dinner i usually have something small because by that point my calories are usually exhausted

i usually go over on protein and sometimes on fat but almost never on carbs

in terms of working out, i go on a lot of long walks--like 6 miles at a 3.0 mph pace...and i run, it's usually cardio though, not any intervals or hardly any weight training
  • Plarmore
    Plarmore Posts: 17
    Options
    My first guess would be water. That is to say - not enough. Just when you think you've had enough water, drink another liter!
  • kater8er
    Options
    I'll try it! I usually drink a *ton* every day but I'll drink more....Also I've read that intervals are better for kickstarting...So maybe try more of that instead of steady cardio?
  • Plarmore
    Options
    I'll try it! I usually drink a *ton* every day but I'll drink more....Also I've read that intervals are better for kickstarting...So maybe try more of that instead of steady cardio?

Glad you wrote that because I meant to put that in my first post as well. Intervals are great for fat burn, but it's also good to mix up your daily exercise by altering duration and intensity. And don't forget resistance training as well. Resistance is very important during weight loss so that you are loosing fat and not lean body mass.
  • kater8er
    Options
    Resistance training? Sorry is that a term for something I already know or do I need to be enlightened??
  • Plarmore
    Options
    It's a generic term for any routine that uses resistance. Weight lifting, resistance bands, nautalis (sp?) equipment, etc.
  • kater8er
    Options
    gotcha :)