just looking for some feedback

Options
chewbacakz
chewbacakz Posts: 24 Member
Ok guys, I got my first solid week down, very happy with that!!!! But I'm hoping maybe someone mite look at my diary and tell me if I'm doing ok, or if I'm over/under doing it. I have been a smoker for 21 years, I quit on March 5th this year, and it has me feeling all sorts of motivated, well motivated for me!!!

Replies

• AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Awesome and Groovy on the quitting smoking!!!!!!! I smoked 22 years and now 3 years + breathing free! The diary bits I looked at look good to me, but I certainly am not an expert. I just started a little bit ago.
  • chewbacakz
    Options
    Yes the no smoking is wonderful, it's and amazing feeling!!!
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    great job on quiting smoking. Great decision and no easy task.

I took a quick glance at your diary. Overall you seem to be doing fine staying on calories and macro's. Things that did stand out you may want to look at...
    1. seems you eat quite a few eggs. Eggs are really packed with good nutrients but the yolks have a good bit of cholestrol. You might consider using egg beaters from time to time. I love eggs too, but I use substitute fairly often.
    2. You might consider some more variety on veggies. I saw some salads and you got some tomato and onion (favorites of mine too), but you might consider mixing in some other veggies. Kale and Spinach and brocholli and cauliflower and green beans and even some corn and potatoes. Just don't load 'em up with butter and salt. Of course, you gotta eat what you like and not eat what you hate.
    3. Same with fruit - I saw banana but maybe get some citrus in there. A squirt of lemon on some fish, a bit of juice in the morning, an orange for lunch...
    4. Fiber/Grains - quick glance, my gut is you might try adding a bit of fiber/grains.

Of course, it is hard to get a really good idea in one week, but it seems a pretty decent start. Maybe just a few tweaks.

Next summer, I may well buy a kayak for paddling the lake and rivers near here. If I do, I'll be hitting you up for advice.
  • chewbacakz
    Options
    Hey Steve, thank you for all the great advice!!!! I actually bought some egg beaters today, was gonna try in the morning!!!! But yes, I do love some eggs!!
    I will definitely add more fruits and veggies, I'm a big fan of them all to be honest, just been eating what's in the house, and what I can get my kids to eat also, lol. I will also fix the fiber/grains issue!
    And as for the kayak, I love it!!! It is what really got me going on some kinda work out plan!! It's alot of fun, plus the lake is less than a mile from my home!!! And there is a nice creek just a few blocks away. Small town country life!!!!!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting MFP and on quitting smoking! You are obviously making some very positive changes, and you're doing great.

My only concern looking at your diary is that you are coming in way under your goal most days - oftentimes only getting about halfway to your calorie goal. I know this may seem like a good thing, but in reality it's important to eat enough to fuel your body! MFP is pretty good at calculating your daily needs, so if it's telling you to eat 3,000 calories, you should try to get close to that. It is possible for MFP to overestimate your exercise burn, so you don't have to eat every single calorie - but coming in at only half of your goal is definitely pushing it. Try to eat a little more so you don't start to get burned out on your workouts. Other than that, great work so far!
  • chewbacakz
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thank you Lauren!! Just to clarify, I just need to get closer to "goal" calories, not "remaining" calories rite??