Road to a healthy life, 80lbs to lose. Any words of encouragement?

Options
JennN1126
JennN1126 Posts: 7 Member
edited July 2015 in Getting Started
Hi all,
I just had my miracle baby boy 8 months ago. I was obese before getting pregnant, so pregnancy added to it. My son is strong and so active and I need and want to keep up with him. My first goal is to lose 36 pounds by his first birthday (4 months from now) and then slow it to half a pound to a pound a week until it's all gone. Any advice, tips, encouragement I can get would be amazing!

Replies

• R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My only advice is don't rush it! Take your time, try not to be in a big hurry. I have failed countless times because I needed to lose x amount of pounds in x amount of unrealistic time. I am now finally finding success because I've learned to be patient and stick to my plan. Congrats on your baby and I wish you the best!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    My advice was going to be to avoid putting a timeline on things, or if it helps you to have a goal date in mind, at least be forgiving if you don't hit the weight you want by that date.

The other thing is so simple, but when I read it in someone else's post, it just really stuck with me: Trust the process. If you're putting in the work, you'll get results, so even if you're not seeing change right away, it's likely coming soon! If you give it some time and still nothing's changing, then it's probably time to take a closer look at what you're doing and figure out if you need to make adjustments.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    You took step one.

Just get used to counting calories by weighting your food on a $25 digital food scale.

Get used to some exercise

I started my weight loss journey about 30 months ago. Over 130 lbs lost.

Didn't find MFP until recently. The food log is super helpful!!

Just work it. No magic required. The weight will come off.

Best of luck on your journey.
  • stephaniemartin1194
    stephaniemartin1194 Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My biggest piece of advice would be not to obsess over the number on the scale! This is one of the hardest things to do, especially for us girls. When I first started this journey I would weigh myself two times a day and freak out if I didn't see the changes I wanted. As soon as I stopped weighing myself so often I found it easier to focus on just getting stronger, eating healthier, etc and the weight just followed! It's awesome that you have a goal, but remember to notice the little things too even if you aren't always seeing the weight you want (increased energy, better sleep, etc.). So happy for you as you start this journey and wish you all the best!!
  • LunaInverse
    LunaInverse Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have some words of encouragement that my best friend once gave me. Be like Nike, and just do it! :) Good luck