Crystal Light, Hawaiian Punch, Snapple...etc PACKETS

Options
iAMaPhoenix
iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
First of all, I hate drinking plain old water. I usually add flavored packets to make water more palatable. Am I sabotaging my diet by doing so? Also, what say ye about diet drinks? I am sure there are pros and cons on both sides, and would like to hear both so I am able to make a good decision for me. Thanks MFPers.

Replies

• mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Do the packets contain calories? If so, just count them. As long as they fit your caloric budget they won't effect weight loss.
  • missmiller1
    missmiller1 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Personally, whenever I eat artificial sugars it makes me ravenous for really sugars and throws me for a loop, so I try to steer clear of them.

Instead of adding artificial sugars, chemicals, and gosh knows what else from those packets, why not add some lemon. lime, or orange slices to your water? Some people like cucumber water, but I haven't tried it.

Hope this helps.
  • dcornwe
    dcornwe Posts: 73
    Options
    I use the Mio Liquid enhancer. Its 0 cal,fat, sodium and sugar. I prefer the sweet tea and I love it!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Do the packets contain calories? If so, just count them. As long as they fit your caloric budget they won't effect weight loss.
    Usually only two calories a packet. Thanks for the input.
  • hmsma
    hmsma Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have used the "crystal light on the go" packets a few times myself. Only 5 calories per packet. Zero sugar, 20 mg sodium. Some people I guess will use 1/2 a packet per use. I am never that tight on my calories that I cant afford 5. Better than buying some of the flavored waters. Some of those are much worse.

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/crystal-light/crystal-light-on-the-go-sugar-free-packets
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I use a store brand version of the Crystal Light (Jewel, for Chicagoans). I actually like it better, and it doesn't have calories.

Do note that the Crystal Light ones have 5 calories per serving, which is actually 10 calories per packet. I hate it when companies divide things into weird serving sizes. I mean, sure, it's two glasses of water, but I'm not going to dump half a packet into an 8 oz glass of water.
  • crystalmorgan
    crystalmorgan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I put lemon or lime juice in my water...if I'm wanting something fruity then I put fruit in them...you can slice it up or dice it to the size you want and then when your done drinking the water you can eat the fruit! Yoy can get a fancy bottle and slice up cucumbers and place the bottle in the fridge untill it's ice cold and OMG you will think you have went to heaven!!! LOL I've heard that the body absorbs water faster if it is lear but i can't find where I read it now...if I find it, I'll send it to you!
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    There are medical studies that suggest diet drinks can slow down weight loss and increase sugar cravings. I also asked a sports doctor this question once and he said unequivocally that crystal lite and other additives were not replacements for water and to try to limit them. Also anything that has caffeine (think teas) acts as a diuretic, so they definitely don't count as water. The only thing that really substitutes for water is herbal tea. That said, in moderation they're not bad, but still try to get as much regular water in as you can. I'm not a big fan of it either, but I keep a 24 oz bottle next to my desk and sip on it throughout the day, and take pure water with me when I run.
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I am with SRP2011 on this one... I started drinking diet soda as a treat (i was never a soda drinker at all) and my sigar cravings are THROUGH THE ROOF!~!~! I didnt notice that this could be the cause, and maybe its a coincidence, but IDK.

I do drink crystal light but I try to limit it to only a few times a week. I just dont like the thought of too much aspertime in my body. I did read something that the acid in lemons and limes can help speed up metabolism. SOO for a Natural flaovring and metabolism booster, try some lemon wedges!~! I cut one up once and froze it.. and it was AWESOME!~! First made my drink cold like an icecube, then later on a nice refreshing lemon, like a surprise!~!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    I have looked the some of the reports on the research, and I am always impressed with their equivocation. They keep using words like "may" "could" and "in some people." Now there may be newer research, but my personal take is drink as much water as you stand. I find filtering it through a Brita or a good quality charcoal filter makes it taste much better. If you need added flavor you can use some lemon or lime juice with a little stevia. I personally have used and continue to use sugar free drinks that use splenda as their sweetener and it has not resulted in a greater craving for sweets for me. The only thing that does that to me eating lots of sugary sweets, especially pastries. Again, I think this is very much person dependent which is why when people are quoted about it, in particular the researchers, they use such careful statements about the effect of these sugar free sweeteners.

As to water intake, I am not sure about those who say that it must be water. I seem to remember a point being made in an article I read not that long ago that the whole 8-10 glasses of water thing was a flawed guideline because hydration comes from all fluids you eat, yes even coffee and tea, as well as the food you eat, in particular fresh fruits and veggies. I tend to drink a lot of water because I find my weight loss stalls if I don't, and water is quick and easy. Having said that, there are times my hydration is not water, but other flavored drinks and tea. When I drink that it still seems to keep my weight loss going.
  • Plarmore
    Plarmore Posts: 17
    Options
    It is true that anything you drink does add to your daily recommended fluid intake, but not on a 1 to 1 ratio. 8 oz of Crystal Light does not equate to 8 oz of water (this goes for coffee, tea, soda and other water based drinks). Look at the ingredients list for Crystal Light - there's a whole bunch of things there I can't pronounce that your body can't use. That means it has to use the water to dilute them so they can be passed out limiting the amount of water absorbed into your blood stream.

Don't get me wrong, I drink coffee, tea, and sometimes Crystal Light; but I don't count them as water intake. I drink 100 to 150 oz of plain water and don't count anything else.

This article is one of the best I've read about water, its myths, and its benefits. I found it posted here by someone else and would credit that poster if I could.

http://www.experiencelifemag.com/issues/june-2010/health-wellness/drink-to-your-health.html
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Have you tried flavored sparkling water? Klarbrunn and La Croix are a couple brands. These are flavored, but have no sweetener. The raspberry and black cherry are yummy! Target has Klarbrunn.

Drinking water may be an aquired taste. I do drink more water than I used to. I started keeping a water bottle on my desk - this reminds me all day long. Good luck - It gets better.