Stuck in a rut after long term illness - where to start?

Options
Hi all

I feel like I'm stuck in a bit of a rut after dealing with a long term illness (glandular fever/chronic fatigue type issues). After not being active for 6 weeks I've lost a LOT of physical strength and fitness... I don't think I've gained much weight but I've definitely lost muscle and stamina. My eating is also all out of whack, I'm finding sometimes I have no appetite, and other times I could eat all day and not ever feel full. I'm also craving sugar and carbs much of the time (and giving into these cravings more often than not!).

As I'm still not feeling 100% I don't really know where to start to get myself moving and eating well again. Two weeks ago a 10 minute walk was my maximum exercise capability, this week I can manage 20 minutes. The most frustrating part is that prior to getting ill I could cycle 30km non stop, or pump out an hour long yoga session or a 2 hour hike. I had nice toned legs, reasonable upper body and core strength and I was eating mainly wholesome and highly nutritious foods. Now I'm slumped over with poor posture, eating only what I can stomach and not considering the nutritional value and I'm struggling to stay awake for much of the day.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I could do to start building up my strength and getting back to health?

Replies

• Nakeshia88
    Nakeshia88 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    :-(
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Here's one idea. :-) Runner's World has a free 7 week walking plan: http://www.runnersworld.com/getting-started/runners-world-start-walking-plan-7-weeks You can then move onto Couch to 5K when you are ready. (I personally like this version: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx) Go slow. Cross train, if you want, with cycling and swimming. But, do it at your own pace.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Tai Chi is also nice. The movements are slow, but it is a workout.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I started Focus T25 a month ago after not exercising for a few months and being really out of shape. I had to go with the Modifyer as the workout was too much. After a month I am getting much stronger. You can look on eBay for used copies.

I've been s jogger for decades but this workout DVD is my first and at 25 minutes it was a great way to get back to exercising. Just take it slowly, whatever you do. You'll feel much better with some daily exercise, and walking is very healthy.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Walk before you can run :) Keep walking, I'd say, if you're at 20 minutes right now. For strength, I'd go for yoga or Pilates, in your shoes, if you have no restrictions on that.

Oh yes, also - you might find this comment on graded activity useful (I did :) )

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/32844744#Comment_32844744
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hi. I understand the frustration of recovering after illness. I had both my hip and knee replaced 6 months ago. I found exercising in the swimming pool to be my salvation! It's gentle on the body as your body is trying to heal but it is quite a workout as well. I hold onto a raft and jog away. I wish you a speedy recovery!
    Laura
  • hanbanan78
    hanbanan78 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you've been unwell. I understand your frustration as I had major surgery two years ago and it took me ages to get back to exercising well and eating healthily (the latter is still debatable...!).

I started by using the Couch to 10K app for walk/running. It seemed so basic compared to what I was used to but it really helped me get my strength and stamina back. I also did gentle swimming and Pilates. Re food - the best thing to do is plan your meals. Boring, but true. I still go off track when I don't plan but if actually do this I can ensure I eat well and don't feel I am missing out (the occasional treat is allowed - encouraged, in fact). Good luck. Hope you feel stronger soon.