Avocado

Options
raychybabe
raychybabe Posts: 121 Member
I've heard they are really good for you and full of good Omega fats etc but what do you actually do with them? I can't eat eggs/seafood so I can't have prawn cocktail with it. I don't eat salad either so I can't just throw it into that. How else can I use it?

Replies

• _eislek_
    _eislek_ Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Make some delicious guacamole! I love it, I could eat it all day!
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    beans rice and salsa
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Slice them up on a sandwich or pita.......mmmmmm avacado is wonderful
  • ilovethelaw07
    Options
    This weekend I had a great wrap with avocado, egg white, and Brie. It was delicious!
  • mericksmom
    mericksmom Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Slice or dice them up and add them to sandwiches, or beans, or soups. It is an add on as you would salsa. Guacamole is simple a lil pepper, lemon (it turns brown without acid) add salsa, onion and garlic. It is high in cals but Yummy.
  • Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Options
    Strait up! I love to peel and eat a whole avacado as is; like you would an apple. I LOVE the taste.

I also use them in, well..everything.., but especially in steamed Zucc. & Squash tacos. It compliments the veggies.
  • raychybabe
    raychybabe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    so you dont need to cook it first?
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    i cut mine in slices, put lemon juice and salt over it and it it just plain like that....but you can also spread it on your toast in the morning, or put it on anything.....i friggin love avocados
  • mirandamatte
    mirandamatte Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Nope raw is best IMO
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    so you dont need to cook it first?

NO!! Gosh, I can't even imagine what that would be like.
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    Avocado... Is best raw.

I put slice it on top of my eggs in the morning and top with some fresh salsa.
    I also add it to my turkey wrap for lunch instead of some sort of dressing. The creamy avocado is a perfect substitute.

It is so good for you and a "good" type of fat.

:)
  • Famzav8
    Famzav8 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You can throw avacados on whatever you want! I like to put them on my sandwiches, in a quesadilla, on top of my soup, chili, whatever else I'm eating. It tastes good with everything! :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'd just dice it up and spread it on some crackers...triscuits are my favorite. That's what I do after my work out. Or put it on any sandwich
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Make sure when you buy them they are not mushy. When ripe, they will give slightly if you push on them. To ripen a hard/unripe avocado, put it in a paper bag and close the top and put the bag in a dark place (like in a cupboard) and they will be ripe in a few days. Cut around the outside of the pit, twist the cut avocado and scoop out the inside.

Guacamole:
    lots of fresh lime juice, garlic, cilantro, chopped tomatoes, green onions.
    In a pinch, I just mix some pre-made salsa with the avocado.

Slice and use on a sandwich, like a turkey sandwich.
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Strait up! I love to peel and eat a whole avacado as is; like you would an apple. I LOVE the taste.

this is what I do too... sooooo good.
  • jabbogurl
    jabbogurl Posts: 193
    Options
    Do you have to eat the entire thing at once or what's the best way to store it and how long should it last?

I eat them a lot at cafe's but never bought one! LoL. Usually have them with grilled chicken. I wonder how good it would be if you stuffed it inside a jalapeno and then smoked it?
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get whole wheat tortillas (and tear them up into smaller peices), then spoon out some avocado and put Frank's Red Hot sauce on them...LOVE IT
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Do you have to eat the entire thing at once or what's the best way to store it and how long should it last?

I eat them a lot at cafe's but never bought one! LoL. Usually have them with grilled chicken. I wonder how good it would be if you stuffed it inside a jalapeno and then smoked it?

You should usually eat it at once. If you don't then it needs to be in an extremely airtight container with lots of lime or lemon juice... otherwise it will brown.

As for smoking it... stuff some 'herbs' in there too and I think you'll be good to go. :laugh:
  • shena_1
    shena_1 Posts: 3
    Options
    I love to eat it plain,but yeah salsa is great too,
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My fav food of all time, I think. I put them on sandwiches, on bagels instead of butter or cream cheese (seriously yummy), in a burrito, or mash them up and eat with chips. Of course, I haven't actually eaten chips in a long time, but that's what I USED to do with them. :laugh:

You don't have to eat it all at once but make sure you save the half that has the pit still in it. For example, cut it in half, pull it apart, and whichever part still has the pit in it gets saved. The pit is the key to keep it from going brown. They'll still brown on the exposed surface after a couple days, but eating the second half within 2 days generally works fine. Plus even if it browns it still tastes fine. If you can't keep the pit attached, mash it up and mix in a *little* lemon juice. The lemon helps keep it from turning brown.