Bulk or cut? I'm skinny fat please help me out!

Options
InxcN7
InxcN7 Posts: 5 Member
edited July 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Hello guys,

I'm a skinny fat guy who has no clue what he should do to fix his body composition.

My question is this: Should I cut and lose all the fat first? or should I bulk and gain muscle?
"Get lean before building muscle because your body can take better advantage of the nutrients you provide it." -Oskar Faarkrog

He also says that's the vicious cycle of bulking skinnyfattransformation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Vicious-Cycle-of-Bulking.jpg

There are people that suggest me to bulk, while others tell me to cut and I don't wanna do something I'm gonna regret nor spend time and money for nothing. Do you people know what's the best for me? I'm 22 years old, 166 lbs, 5'11 and around 20% body fat.
You can see pictures of my body here http://imgur.com/a/xIUOm

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Follow a progressive lifting program while you work on cutting down closer to 14%, then consider recomposition. I don't think you'll do yourself any favors cutting way down then bulking and bulking now is a bad idea.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Follow a progressive lifting program while you work on cutting down closer to 14%, then consider recomposition. I don't think you'll do yourself any favors cutting way down then bulking and bulking now is a bad idea.

I agree.

Also, what is your goal? Do you want to build seriousl muscle, or do you just want to look less fat and more muscular?
    If your answer is less fat more muscular, definetly followe the advice above and look into recomposition.
    This subforum has a great recomposition thread.

• KHS86
    KHS86 Posts: 29 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Non of it is wrong.

Most people recommend you to cut down first, and then do a "clean bulk" (small caloric surplus) to avoid gaining fat.
    But others will argue that it's easier to cut down after you've gained some more muscles, so they will recommend you to start with bulking.

I'm an ectomorph myself, and I chose to cut first, went from 196 to 143. Now I recently started to slowly up my calories and I'm currently at 146.2 and aiming for a gain of 1kg / ~2 pounds per month, some of that will be fat, it's unavoidable, but most of it will be muscle if you work hard in the gym and follow your plan.

It's not a vicious cycle if you do a clean bulk.
    However, if you just do a dirty bulk and stuff your face with everything in sight (Very high caloric surplus) then you'll still gain muscles, but also a lot of fat.