Cheat meal

Options
HailDawgs
HailDawgs Posts: 30 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi MFPals,

I have a final exam tomorrow morning, and I have worked hard this entire semester studying.

On top of that, I have been exercising 3 times a week and cutting my calories by way less than recommended (I have since adjusted it to just shy of 1,800). I have lost 24 lbs., and I am loving life (minus the occasional cravings)!

So, my personal trainer said I should have a cheat meal to recalibrate my metabolism. I was a little skeptical, hence why I am here.

I was thinking of getting a General Tso's and Fried rice plate after my gym workout Wednesday as a congratulations. But, then I am worried that will cancel out all my hard work and cause me to gain several pounds.

I had a cheat day last month, and it helped me regain focus of this all, but I felt like I gained weight (it had to have been my mind).

Your thoughts would be appreciated as to what I should do. And, I would really appreciate any further justification on why it may help or hurt me.

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    No one meal can cause you to gain several pounds of fat. Some water weight, sure but not fat.3500 cal per pound of fat.

You planning on eating 10000 Cals?
  • HailDawgs
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    No one meal can cause you to gain several pounds of fat. Some water weight, sure but not fat.3500 cal per pound of fat.

Water weight from food? I've heard that before. Interesting.

No, my plan is simply to eat healthy prior to the dinner. I'll probably eat a Quest bar for breakfast. I'll have a chicken salad sandwich for lunch before the gym, and then the chinese for dinner.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    And that is a cheat day????

Makes me wonder what you eat normally?
  • Merkavar
    Options
    HailDawgs wrote: »

No, my plan is simply to eat healthy prior to the dinner. I'll probably eat a Quest bar for breakfast. I'll have a chicken salad sandwich for lunch before the gym, and then the chinese for dinner.

Unless I'm mistaken water weight is your body storing water for several reasons. If your eating Chinese then it's likely high in salt.

So you don't get water weight from drinking an extra litre of water. It's your body holding onto the water you normally drink.
  • HailDawgs
    edited July 2015
    Options

I try and keep it as simple as possible. But, do not be fooled - I will have a lean cuisine here and there for a meal. I have been getting pretty close to my calorie goal everyday, so not starving myself over here. Just enjoying the weight loss progress, and enjoying the thought of a cheat meal even more! :)

Unless I'm mistaken water weight is your body storing water for several reasons. If your eating Chinese then it's likely high in salt.

So you don't get water weight from drinking an extra litre of water. It's your body holding onto the water you normally drink.

Learn something new everyday! Yep, chinese food is super packed in sodium, but I'll just bust it in the gym to hopefully somewhat compensate.
  • BWBTrish
    Options

you can gain water weight for a lot of reason...one is salt ( like Chinese food is salty)
    or training...you muscles hold water for repair etc etc
  • Merkavar
    Options

I try and keep it as simple as possible. But, do not be fooled - I will have a lean cuisine here and there for a meal. I have been getting pretty close to my calorie goal everyday, so not starving myself over here. Just enjoying the weight loss progress, and enjoying the thought of a cheat meal even more! :)

Learn something new everyday! Yep, chinese food is super packed in sodium, but I'll just bust it in the gym to hopefully somewhat compensate.

I hear drinking water helps flush the salt from your system.

But really I wouldn't worry so much. Enjoy your meal and just give it 3-4 days before weighing yourself or don't freak out if it's up a bit.
  • HailDawgs
    Options

I hear drinking water helps flush the salt from your system.

But really I wouldn't worry so much. Enjoy your meal and just give it 3-4 days before weighing yourself or don't freak out if it's up a bit.

Thanks! I'll wait 3 days. Just hope I don't gain solid weight from this. But what you gain you can remove.
  • earthnut
    earthnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Most of the water weight will disappear on its own within 24 hours, as your body adjusts. No need to beat yourself up at the gym. One cheat day is really no big deal.

Last time I dieted, I allowed myself 4 days a month for "cheating". Still lost weight steadily. (it's the maintenance that gets me) Look at the big picture.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    you gain a pound of weight when you eat SURPLUS 3500 over your maintenance level...that is a lot of food!! A lot!
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    unless this meal is 3500 calories MORE than your TDEE, you will not physically gain weight. you will obviously have a spike in water weight because of the sodium in the chinese. you do not need to bust *kitten* in the gym to get rid of water weight. go back to your normal routine after your meal. any water weight will sort itself out in a few days.

good luck on your final! don't freak out too much over your food.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    earthnut wrote: »
    Most of the water weight will disappear on its own within 24 hours, as your body adjusts. No need to beat yourself up at the gym. One cheat day is really no big deal.

Last time I dieted, I allowed myself 4 days a month for "cheating". Still lost weight steadily. (it's the maintenance that gets me) Look at the big picture.

I never had cheat meals
    I just eat less ( weigh my food) as i did before

and when there is a party or aa buffet or chinese meal...so be it..normal life and next day back to weighing food
    Lost 101 pounds in the last 9 months ... so didn't seem to bother my weight loss

• HailDawgs
    Options
    You guys are awesome motivation and information, and I thank each of you! :)

• Sie_Con
    Sie_Con Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'd go for it. You'll most likely feel some bloat and retain some water weight from all the sodium, but you won't gain a pound of actual fat unless you go crazy. I'd drink a lot of water and eat a banana or take potassium supplement, as potassium can aid in counteracting sodium in the body. Try not to over-think it and just enjoy the meal!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    When I have Chinese for dinner, I wake up the next morning resembling a water balloon :cry:
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you like General Tso's, and who doesn't, you should watch the documentary about it on Netflix Instantly. It's fascinating.

It's only 1 meal, go ahead! You even have official permission from your trainer, you're golden here.

• kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I would make my own Chinese meal. It is easy!