beating the heat, or sticking with it

Options
bikrim yoga (probably not spelling that right) is all the craze
Currently living in Miami, I wonder if sweating in your car can be considered as a weight loss strategy
Any thoughts??

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Sweating does not cause you to lose fat, only water weight.
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    No it can't beyond the weight you lose through the loss of fluids which you have to replace anyway. You sweat to counteract the increased temperature and this keeps your body 'neutral' for quite some time, if you do this for a long time (I'd guess over 3 hours) you may burn a few extra calories, but it really isn't healthy to expose your body to those sort of temperatures for an extended period of time without taking on water. If you exercise in the heat you will burn more calories as your heart has to work harder, but sitting in a car to do it is not a good idea. Funnily enough if you sit in the cold you will burn more calories than if you sat in the heat since your body will burn calories to help keep you warm.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I will run on the dreadmill today. It is forecast to be in the low 90's her in Pittsburgh when I get off of work and still in the 80's around 8p.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    emzbanez wrote: »
    bikrim yoga (probably not spelling that right) is all the craze
    Currently living in Miami, I wonder if sweating in your car can be considered as a weight loss strategy
    Any thoughts??

Seriously? I have a gently used sauna suit for sale if you're interested! B)