sore muscles

Options
I did a lot of leg work yesterday and today I am feeling it. Is there a way to speed up recovery?

Replies

• mcqlove87
    mcqlove87 Posts: 59
    Options
    Work out again and drink plenty of water. It'll help work the acid out of your muscles that are causing the pain.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    water, water and more water
  • elly620
    elly620 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    eat lots of protein within 30 minutes of exercise helps. also try a supplement called gluetemine.
  • Diem30
    Diem30 Posts: 92
    Options
    water and stretching... even the day after it'll help especially if your getting leg cramps.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    eat lots of protein within 30 minutes of exercise helps. also try a supplement called gluetemine.

what she said. and make sure you stretch adequately! at least 30 seconds per stretch is best for the muscle.
  • lulusmom
    lulusmom Posts: 71
    Options
    Work out again and drink plenty of water. It'll help work the acid out of your muscles that are causing the pain.

I agree. Go for a walk to get the lactic acid broken down. Drink plenty of water.
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    The more frequently you workout the less it will hurt. If you did those same exercises every week, after a month you wouldn't feel it. I don't know about short term, but I always love to feel that next day pain! That's the weakness leaving your body! Keep up the good work!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I find that protein immediately following my workout, cuts the soreness in half, or more! Seriously!
  • ajostraat
    ajostraat Posts: 101
    Options
    Already stated, WATER and stretching!

Make sure you're also replenishing your electrolytes and getting plenty of potassium (helps prevent cramping).

ALSO - to help push the lactic acid out of your muscles, take a bath with salts! I prefer dead sea salts (Walmart, $5), others swear by epsom salt (any drug/grocery store, it's dirt cheap!). The salts help draw out the acids and relax the muscles. Another option (if you're so inclined) is massage therapy - go get a sports massage. :D
  • Yemaya1129
    Yemaya1129 Posts: 75
    Options
    In addition to the other suggestions, I like Biofreeze. It's a bit like Ben-gay but without the smell and is popular with trainers and physical therapists. Some gyms sell it, but you can find it on Amazon.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake after I work out and there is little to no soreness anymore. It is seriously weird...but it works! I also have a protein shake mix that has 100% of daily vitamins in it and I add a scoop of macrogreens as well, so that might be something. Take glucosamine (for the joints) and msm (for the muscle repair). Generally you buy the bottle of pills and they are one in the same. YOu can get Schiff Move Free Advanced at Target for like $13 or so. Totally worth it.
  • mozyrpat
    mozyrpat Posts: 9
    Options
    Some good tips there.......I must drink more water....I must drink more water ....(oh and stretch too! ).
  • kjnewk
    kjnewk Posts: 5
    Options
    Protein, water and Branched Chain Amino Acids work wonders for me. I use a protein shake that has BCAAs in it. I don't take them separately.