Very lethargic after returning to the gym???

Options
Hi, a few months back I sustained an injury that required me to do no physical activity for a few months. However, I have recently been cleared to go back to the gym (have been back since July 1). There is one problem, I have never felt more tired and lethargic since going back, I still eat fairly healthy and get anywhere from 7-8 hours of sleep a night but I cannot shake this tired feeling.

Anyone else have this feeling? Are there any foods that people have found that help give them some energy after the gym? I am not into taking protein shakes or anything of the sort just looking for any dietary changes that can be made? Maybe I am not getting enough protein or fat or not enough food in general?

I am doing cardio (at least 20-30 minutes a day) and doing weight training. This is nothing different to what I used to do before my injury but this time around I am feeling drained of energy after my workouts.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Are you eating any of the calories you burn at the gym? If not, that could very well be the reason for you being tired now that you are working out again.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    how many calories a day are you eating/netting?
  • kamack1215
    kamack1215 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am eating anywhere from 1200-1600 calories a day. I usually do not eat my exercise calories back as I do not log as accurately as I should (things like milk in my tea I do not log or butter on my toast I estimate).
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Maybe see how you feel if you eat 20-25% of your exercise calories. That should still leave you with a buffer for the inaccurate logging and hopefully that will help with your energy.
  • kamack1215
    kamack1215 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Maybe see how you feel if you eat 20-25% of your exercise calories. That should still leave you with a buffer for the inaccurate logging and hopefully that will help with your energy.

Thanks! I will try that for the next few weeks. I do weight training and I do not own a HRM so I have no idea how many calories I am burning. I usually take what MFP says and do what most people do and divide it in half. So I might eat back all the 50% of the strength training ones and 20-25% of what my cardio machine tells me