What should your ratio/percentage of carbs, protein, and fat

Options
remaho80
remaho80 Posts: 126 Member
Mine is 55% for carbs, 15% for protein, and 30% for fat. This is what MFP assigned me. I've heard of others changing theirs, but I'm not sure what the reason is for it. Any input is appreciated!

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    its mostly personal preference.

i myself am vegetarian and trying to build muscle..so on a 1800 cal diet my percent is 55% carbs, 25% protein, and 20 fats.
    i usually get right in there..but recently i've been trying to cut back my carbs..so i dont eat as much cereals, pastas, rices, potatos and breads..and i am eating more egg whites, greek yogurt, beans and fruits and veggies.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I find that 40 pro / 30 carb / 30 fat works fairly good for me.
    I used to use this method.
    1.5g per lb of weight for protein
    .5g per lb of weight for fat
    remaining calories go to carbs, ironically, it works out to be 40 pro/30 carb/30 fat for me....I'm not mathematical genius. But it works out how I eat every time.
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I personally lose better on a little lower carbs so I changed mine to 40 carbs, 40 protein & 20 fat.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I find that 40 pro / 30 carb / 30 fat works fairly good for me.
    I used to use this method.
    1.5g per lb of weight for protein
    .5g per lb of weight for fat
    remaining calories go to carbs, ironically, it works out to be 40 pro/30 carb/30 fat for me....I'm not mathematical genius. But it works out how I eat every time.

This guy said it. The quy I am quoting. If you eat too many carbs, it will raise insulin and store body fat. You can still lose weight but it takes a lot more exercise.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I have mine at 40/40/20. I love carbs so I have been slowly cutting them down, Started with 55% then 50% and worked my way down. I am usually pretty good at staying under 40%. I am still working on being able to get up to 40% protein, but I try to get close to 150g protein a day.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals, your medical issues and your resources. I have much more weight to shed than you do. I eat 70-85% Fat, 10-25% Protein, <5% Carbs. These are the protocols necessary for me to heal my broken metabolism and repair my damaged gut. I am 5'7.5", 44 yo, have an active 5 1/2 yo daughter, I lift Russian Kettlebells and I am able to access well sourced fats/proteins through my Farmer's Markets, local ranchers and the internet.

What I have read in the best research papers I can find is that if you have no other medical issues, the numbers to watch are Carbs: 50-100g daily will give most people easy weight loss, 100-150g daily will be an effortless maintenance level, anything over that will set most humans up for an increased risk in modern diseases.

YMMV

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/press/the-primal-blueprint-diagrams/
  • la_traviesa36013
    Options
    bump
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I may need to adjust my #'s to make this weight move. Can someone help me. I am really struggling to lose 80 lbs.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    how can you manually change your daily goals?
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options

You go up to "my home" then click on "goals" then at the bottom it says "change goals"
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options

You go up to "my home" then click on "goals" then at the bottom it says "change goals"

thank you
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    My percentages are 55 carbs, 20 protein and 25 fats. I also do lots of cardio a higher carb lifestyle has treated me well. I also weights must mention that 2 times a week along with cardio 5 times a week. I have 2 off days usually. Carbs have never hurt me or slowed my weight loss one bit. I eat lots of fruits and veggies though not all breads, rices and pastas.