Hello fellow horse lovers :)

Options
Hi all. I'm new to myfitnesspal, but definitely not new to the ongoing weight issues that I've had for almost my entire life.

I just joined myfitnesspal, and I also just joined with Curves to try and get some exercise, but I'm hoping that maybe I can use this opportunity with releasing weight to make a few new friends along the way.

So, I'm a horse lover. Which is what the subject gets at :) I own a 7 year old Haflinger mare, whom I ride with every other day~!

Anyone else have horses out there? I'd love to talk, and maybe get a good support thing going!!!!

Replies

• MichelleZB
    Options
    Hey! Welcome! I'm a horse lover too! I'm on an equestrian drill team (Tejas Riders). I ride an eight year old gelding bay thoroughbred named Mr. Bones, a black appendix gelding named Mouse, and a black gelding thoroughbred named Frank. Don't own any though. My fitness pal has worked great for me and I hope it works for you too!
  • horsepal
    horsepal Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi Kaitar,

I also joined last week. I have an Big Black Throughbred named Mr. Big I want to be able to ride better and feel better by losing some weight. I also want to ride my new mare when she is back from the trainer. I am getting too old to hit the ground and I know my weight makes it hard to keep my balance and feel strong on a horse.

Nice Haflingers!

Good luck with your journey.

Horsepal
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    I don't own horses but I love them. You will do fine here.
  • boldhustler
    Options
    I'm a fellow horse lover! I have 4 Apps, BUT I use to have Haflingers. They are the best. I think at one time we owned about 5 or 6 of them. They are great horses, fun to ride.
    I just joined this site yesterday. Had baby #3 on August 1 and have been using the "I just had a baby" excuse!

Happy Trails!

Hustler
    (I use my horses name as a screen name. I realize it sounds kinda funny!)
  • MichelleZB
    Options
    Oh, and do you ride english or western? i can't tell from the pic :)
  • CatSlusser
    Options
    There are a whole bunch of us in central VA inspired to lose weight in order to be kind to our horses.
  • Kaitar
    Options
    Wow! I'm so amazed at the response that I've had here :) I'm so glad to hear that there are other people out there who are also horse lovers and out to release some weight! It gives me a lot of hope that we can do this!!!

Michelle - I ride Western, but I do have some friends who ride English, so I'm not a total stranger to it.

Do you all have riding clubs that you're a part of? I'm thinking of starting a riding club out here....
  • mlove1307
    Options
    I love horses but don't own/ride any. I was always too tall!! Or at least that's what they said. :(

I am a curves member tho!! :] Good luck!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am a western rider (formerly english). I adopted a Paint Horse from a horse rescue and volunteered there through my last couple years at college.
  • ljm0104
    Options
    Hey I'm so glad you joined I have a six year old gypsy vanner Good Luck!
  • MichelleZB
    Options
    I'm in a girl scout equestrian team called the Tejas Riders. We do drills and perform in Rodeos. :) Western, of course.
  • Autie27
    Autie27 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I too am a Horsey girl! I started out western pleasure and in the last two years I've moved into dressage. I ride a big thoroughbred appy cross whol is blind in one eye. He had an accident in a field and had gone blind in that eye before I started riding him :( but for the most part it doesn't effect him at all. Horses and wanting to be a better rider is HUGE motivation for my weight loss, it seems the more weight that comes off the better I feel!
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options
    YEA! Horse lovers!!! Cody (my 15yr old solid paint mare) and I LOVE to ride competitive trail & western pleasure. For those that know paints, she's Miss Zippo Cody (Zippo Jack Bar) and for those that know reining (Old Joe Cody!)

Can't wait until I shed these pounds - Cody will appreciate carrying 70lbs less weight! And... I will finally buy myself chaps. I REFUSED to buy them at this size!

Feel free to friend me - and please share your horsey stories!

<3 Horses!!!
  • ruralgirl
    ruralgirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi folks

Ive only just joined the message boards and my horses are one of my main motivations for losing weight - if any of you are still about do add me if you want to - Ive got 5 horses of various shapes and sizes and would love to connect with other who share the interest:smile:
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm so glad you joined I have a six year old gypsy vanner Good Luck!

I WANT a gypsy vanner!!!! Soooo jealous! lol
  • Gr8_body4life
    Options
    I love horses but don't own/ride any. I was always too tall!! Or at least that's what they said. :(

I am a curves member tho!! :] Good luck!

I would say that NO one is too tall for riding, I've riden with some females that were 6'1", and guys well over 6'2" You just need a bigger horse!! I myself am 5'9" and have no problem with riding, just need horses with bigger bellys!

I am and always will be a horse lover! No horses currently have been riding in a year or so, but its always in my heart, have owned three horses,
    Casey my "first" was a gorgeous Saddlebred that is in heaven right now enjoying his new legs! Scotch (Break out the Scotch) an adorable Quarter Horse we did jumping and dressage together, that now is the proud owner of some cute little kids. And my last horse Chance, he was physically my dream horse, Tall Dark and Handsome, we worked through lots of issues with him and he is now at a Farm where he is loved by a single lady who I think brings him carrots more then she rides him! LOL
    I worked on a horse farm for over a year as Barn Manager and LOVED it. I plan on owning a horse Farm soon! Its my dream! I also do PHotography with horses, it my other passion.
    OMG look at all I wrote! sheesh LOL
    Friend me and I'm sure we could find something about horses to talk about!
  • Red_Minx
    Red_Minx Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yay!! Fellow horsey ppl! I own a dapple grey QH stallion named Dante's Debonair. He is the love of my life, I found him a year ago after having years of horses here and there that just wasn't what I was looking for. After having one that shattered my confidence I had stopped riding as much and gained even more wieght :( So now I am losing this wieght for Dante's sake! I want to go on many more rides and get him and I in better shape :)