scared ill fail

I am currently at my heaviest weighing 228.. I recently discovered I have thyroid problems and starting to deal with that. I was to lose about 80 pounds and to be honest I dont know how. Carbs are my love but they are also the enemy. Im trying to take back my life and be happy.

Replies

• ktloveswrx
    ktloveswrx Posts: 10 Member
    I am currently at my heaviest weighing 228.. I recently discovered I have thyroid problems and starting to deal with that. I was to lose about 80 pounds and to be honest I dont know how. Carbs are my love but they are also the enemy. Im trying to take back my life and be happy.

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis last year, although I've been struggling with misdiagnosis for years. I gained 80 pounds at the onset (straight out of high school) so I know exactly how you're feeling. There is NOTHING better than a nice grilled cheese or some pasta. It's really hard, but you can do it! You just need to have the willpower, and after a few days/weeks, you won't even think much about them anymore! Go girl! <3
  • kendrascott24
    kendrascott24 Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you! I gained 100 pounds in less than a year and then managed to lose some. I was exercising and eating better and gained weight and I've continued to gain. Im waiting on results from a dr. To get figure out what exactly I have and I'm pretty nervous but ready to get it under control and take my life back
  • amandaiams
    amandaiams Posts: 73 Member
    well, I hate to say it but you're approaching it all wrong if you're already scared you'll fail. Don't be afraid. Losing weight is hard, plain and simple. but it can be done and you can do it, if you're really ready. I've learned that if you are not ready, you won't do good.

You're in good company here. Most of us at MFP know the struggle and can give really great advice and motivation.

I myself need to lose like 60 lbs. I'm weighing in at 196, my heaviest ever. I'd like to be 130. I found the best way to get into the groove is to have friends to work out with. For some reason, when I start to work out, I automatically want to eat better. Carbs are hard to give up, but with some careful planning you don't have to eliminate them entirely, just moderate. I love rolls, breads, pasta's...I blame the German in me for that.

don't be afraid. In the end, you'll only be stronger.
  • jmacnally77
    jmacnally77 Posts: 12 Member
    You sound ready to take the weight loss journey on!
    I agree with ktloveswrx you will not even think about carbs once you lessen them in your daily food intake. And there is nothing saying you can never have them again just in smaller or different quantiites :)
    Good luck with the dr's
  • tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    "Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt." - Shakespear, Measure by Measure

Fear of failure is very common. I had it in my career and it really held me back. Try reading life affirming stuff. If your religious, read stuff that will encourage you. Personally I'm not religious, so I read a lot of really excellent obvious stuff which tied in with my atheism. (Not having a go at religion, just advising you to get something you enjoy.)

If you try, you might fail. If you don't try, you will definitely fail.

If the fear really is bad, talk to your doctor. You may have undiagnosed anxiety problems. He may say that your fears are normal (we're all human), he may prescribe some gentle exercises, he may presscribe a low level anti-aniexy medication or he may refer you to a psychiatrist.

It's worth googling about mental health and weight. In many weight management clinics there's a psychologist and many will also have a psychiatrist.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    you will definitely fail if you don't try.
  • Breeticus87
    Breeticus87 Posts: 114 Member
    Hi there, Kendra! I agree with jmac, you don't have to cut carbs completely, just make sure you eat good carbs, processed flour is your enemy, not carbs. Oats, wheat, really any type of whole grain, is actually really good for you. The reason why is it requires more effort for your digestive system to break down these good carbs, this in turn means that the body requires more energy to do so, and it actually improves metabolism :)

I don't know what it's like to have a thyroid problem, I am sure its tough, my mother is currently struggling with hers. It may be a struggle, but I think with good friends and support you can accomplish anything you want. There's a light at the end of your tunnel, don't get discouraged :smile:
  • ButterflyBites
    ButterflyBites Posts: 36 Member
    edited July 2015
    I have hashimoto's and had my thyroid removed almost 4 years ago - I am still fighting to lose the 70lbs I gained but I have finally realized that I cannot let this disease take over my life. If I want to be healthy, fit and lose some weight then I just plan need to do it. I've tried lots of different things and I have given up many times but this is my life and I want to be happy and if being happy means losing some of this weight - I will fight and when I fall I will get back up!
    Thyroid disease wrecks havoc on so much of our body it will not be easy but it is doable - lots of triall and error :wink:
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I still kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1