Nobody notices!

Options

Replies

• alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I feel good that people don't say anything when I GAIN weight. Why would they say anything when I lost?

Weight is a sensitive topic for most, so it's understandable that people may try to stay out of it.
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Friends/family didn't start commenting until I had lost around 30 lbs. I think that's when I started losing weight in my face, which can be very noticeable.
  • Allison1385
    Allison1385 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I've lost 25 lbs &&& just had people at work start asking! 1 person was my size 2 boss, she said wow girl you're getting skinny!! I work in a dental office so a few patients have complimented.... give it time. You will be turning heads soon !!
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 40 lbs and my family doesn't say anything to me. I think they notice, they just don't want to say something.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I agree with Alfie, I find weight to be a sensitive subject so I try to avoid weight related comments and stick to "you look great!" without mentioning weight loss. And sometimes people that seem you frequently won't notice a change right away. I found around 20 pounds is when it first became more noticeable.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I'm down 40 pounds and anyone that doesn't know I'm losing weight (most of my friends) have not said a word to me about it. And even people that know I'm losing weight rarely say anything (my mom's friends comment on it far more than any of my friends do)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Clothes hides a lot, especially if you have more to lose. Remember why you're doing this - not for them, but for you.

Because I'm a larger frame guy - 6'4" and athletic people never commented when I gained weight, but once I lost ~30 I guess it showed in my face because that's when coworkers started to comment.
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    They could be trying to be polite. It's embarrassing to ask if someone lost weight and have the answer be "no," then scramble for words "well something looks better than it did last week! ..." Unless you're vocal about your weight loss, other people may not be. I once mentioned to a co-worker that another woman on our floor had lost a lot of weight and was looking good, only to find out she had cancer. Sure am glad I didn't open my mouth and congratulate her first. Maybe put a motivational poster up or frame your latest 5k number to drop a hint to people at work that you're on a mission!
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    One thing I will mention, only because it hasn't been is that it might depend on the 15lbs. So people loose it in their face first, others in their stomach, etc....

Also, you may want to look at the comparisons that are being offered as a percentage rather than a total weight. Someone that is 150lbs and drops 15lbs (10%) is going to reflect it more than someone who is 250 lbs and loses 20lbs, which is only 6%.

Just remember you are unique and you are doing this for you, not anyone else. Don't get me wrong, when the first person told me I looked like I was losing weight, you couldn't smack the smile off my face, then all the sudden the seal was broke and everyone started to notice, like flipping a switch. It will come, and if that is what motivates you, keep using it to improve your life.

Hope it helps.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's a good thing we do this for ourselves!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. My husband is 5'8" and has lost 28 lbs. That's a LOT for his height and weight. Just last week someone at work finally noticed. Just remember you're doing this for you not them. It'll happen
  • leslieblue1
    leslieblue1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have lost 39 pounds, which is like 13% of my body and other than a couple people who know I am working on this, no one has said anything. However, I think that part of it is that I am still wearing my same clothes. Yes, I notice how incredibly baggy they are but I think to others it just makes me look the way I have always looked. I can't wait until my face shows some loss and I really should go lift something about 39 pounds and take a selfie shot. Thanks for the great ideas posters to help me "see" the difference for myself.
  • Marcus_2015
    Marcus_2015 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It is a combination of things like everyone has said... cultural pressure not to talk about weight, clothes, how you lose, etc.

However, if you dress differently, people will notice. I wore a polo shirt tucked in (I used to leave them out) and people said something.

When you are ready to show off, go ahead... :-)

R
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I have lost 50 lbs and no one has said anything...BUT I definitely get carded all the time now (I hadn't been carded in quite a while before) and get more free stuff like I used to, more compliments and generally people are treating me better. I see the difference and that's what motivates me...
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Around 80lbs i started getting compliments. given i had over 200+ to lose.
  • sunshynes_
    sunshynes_ Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think there's a social stigma about discussing weight with a female, particularly. My husband has been by my side throughout this weight-loss/get healthy adventure--at one point when we were out shopping together several people us & "ooh-ed & aahhh-ed" over how good he looked & how much he'd lost (about 15 lbs, at that time) whilst just looking at me & saying "oh hi" without a word about the 50 lbs I'd lost at that time. I was *so* upset!

Now at 85 lbs down, a few people have commented to me directly, but I find that lots more have commented about how I look to my husband & daughter. They often say that when this happens, it's prefaced with something like "I didn't know if I should say anything to her, but..." (they always say "yes, definitely say something to her!"--they've got my back. :) )

As others have said, hang in there & always remember that this is for you!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    It's nice to be acknowledged, but if you feel good about yourself, that's more important. People will notice other things and not realize you've lost weight. If you let us see your picture in your profile - probably someone would notice. :)
  • titotito48
    titotito48 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It took a while. Maybe 25 pounds.
  • whosaiditwaseasy
    whosaiditwaseasy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I lost half my body weight and there are people who still havent said anything about it to me. They are called haters...dont lose weight for anyone but yourself!!
  • jodokast89
    jodokast89 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Keep at it, it will happen. I get a lot of comments now (especially from people I havent seen in a while).

I had an eighteen(ish) year old kid (stranger) pass me on the street this past weekend and say "Boy I wish I had a six pack!" I replied "me too" - then my wife said he was talking about me, took my pic and I saw what he saw, I 'almost' have a six pack, I call it a 440, a four pack and a forty. ;)

Not too bad for a mid 40's guy that was obese to begin the year. (-85lbs in 8.5 months)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!