Bikram yoga

rdejou
rdejou Posts: 21 Member
Hi,
I've started Bikram yoga classes and I was wondering if anyone knows of an app or any way to calculate calorie loss. I've researched but only found General numbers but nothing to actually calculate according to weight/workout/etc. Any tips would be great :). Thanks!

Replies

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Unfortunately the calorie burn during yoga isn't that high. Your heart rate is typically pretty low even with the heat. Increased sweating doesn't necessarily mean increased calorie burn.
  • rdejou
    I knew that :) I'm just looking for a way to calculate the calorie loss vs weight/time of workout no matter the amount. I just would like to know it hehe.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    I would use like 200 per hour and call it good. There isn't really a great way to calculate other than being hooked up to machines.
  • rlaramee2
    rlaramee2 Posts: 28 Member
    Yeah I've wondered this too. I've seen people get radically different values using HRMs in class, so I usually err on the low side just to be safe. I've seen people go as low as 400 for the 90 minutes and as high as 1500. I log it at 600, although the class I wore my HRM it came out around 1400.
  • Hornsby
    Also, here is a study...
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25141359
    Mean (±SD) relative VO2 for the entire 90-min session was 9.5 ± 1.9 mL × kg-1 × min-1, ranging from 6.0 to 12.9 mL × kg-1 × min-1. Mean absolute energy expenditure was 286 ± 72 kcals, ranging from 179 to 478 kcals.

So between 179 cals and 478 cals for a 90 minute session....
  • rlaramee2
    rlaramee2 Posts: 28 Member
    ^^^

Well there we have it then!
  • Hornsby
    rlaramee2 wrote: »
    Yeah I've wondered this too. I've seen people get radically different values using HRMs in class, so I usually err on the low side just to be safe. I've seen people go as low as 400 for the 90 minutes and as high as 1500. I log it at 600, although the class I wore my HRM it came out around 1400.

HRMs have 0 chance of being accurate for yoga. That why all those numbers are inflated.
  • trinalo
    trinalo Posts: 5 Member
    edited July 2015
    I've found a couple calculators (here is one) but the results all seem way too high.
    I'd probably just select the general "yoga" option here on MFP.

Edit: and here's a link about why I wouldn't trust that calculator. It's showing probably double the actual calorie burn.
  • RinnyBlush
    RinnyBlush Posts: 29 Member
    I have never been able to find a reliable source for calculating yoga calories - hot, bikram, or regular. I just log my class as an even 200 calories and have a light snack afterward. Any extra (actual) burn is just a bonus!
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    I've worn my bodymedia fit in bikram and end up with about a 200 - 250 calorie burn for the 90 minute class. I get about the same burn for a hatha class in a non-heated room.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I think it depends on the class. some classes are harder than others. as far as the calories, I haven't too much of a clue. I just use what is here on mfp
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    I did a hot yoga (based on Bikram) and wore a Polar HRM. 372 cals for 90 minutes. I'm 140lbs if that helps. For a non-hot slow flow yoga I burned 198 cals in 80 minutes.
  • rdejou
    Awesome, thanks for the replies. I'll stick to the General option from this app then (374).