Bikram yoga

Options
rdejou
rdejou Posts: 21 Member
Hi,
I've started Bikram yoga classes and I was wondering if anyone knows of an app or any way to calculate calorie loss. I've researched but only found General numbers but nothing to actually calculate according to weight/workout/etc. Any tips would be great :). Thanks!

Replies

• XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the calorie burn during yoga isn't that high. Your heart rate is typically pretty low even with the heat. Increased sweating doesn't necessarily mean increased calorie burn.
  • rdejou
    Options
    I knew that :) I'm just looking for a way to calculate the calorie loss vs weight/time of workout no matter the amount. I just would like to know it hehe.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I would use like 200 per hour and call it good. There isn't really a great way to calculate other than being hooked up to machines.
  • rlaramee2
    rlaramee2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've wondered this too. I've seen people get radically different values using HRMs in class, so I usually err on the low side just to be safe. I've seen people go as low as 400 for the 90 minutes and as high as 1500. I log it at 600, although the class I wore my HRM it came out around 1400.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Also, here is a study...
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25141359
    Mean (±SD) relative VO2 for the entire 90-min session was 9.5 ± 1.9 mL × kg-1 × min-1, ranging from 6.0 to 12.9 mL × kg-1 × min-1. Mean absolute energy expenditure was 286 ± 72 kcals, ranging from 179 to 478 kcals.

So between 179 cals and 478 cals for a 90 minute session....
  • rlaramee2
    rlaramee2 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    ^^^

Well there we have it then!
  • Hornsby
    Options
    rlaramee2 wrote: »
    Yeah I've wondered this too. I've seen people get radically different values using HRMs in class, so I usually err on the low side just to be safe. I've seen people go as low as 400 for the 90 minutes and as high as 1500. I log it at 600, although the class I wore my HRM it came out around 1400.

HRMs have 0 chance of being accurate for yoga. That why all those numbers are inflated.
  • trinalo
    trinalo Posts: 5 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've found a couple calculators (here is one) but the results all seem way too high.
    I'd probably just select the general "yoga" option here on MFP.

Edit: and here's a link about why I wouldn't trust that calculator. It's showing probably double the actual calorie burn.
  • RinnyBlush
    RinnyBlush Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to find a reliable source for calculating yoga calories - hot, bikram, or regular. I just log my class as an even 200 calories and have a light snack afterward. Any extra (actual) burn is just a bonus!
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I've worn my bodymedia fit in bikram and end up with about a 200 - 250 calorie burn for the 90 minute class. I get about the same burn for a hatha class in a non-heated room.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the class. some classes are harder than others. as far as the calories, I haven't too much of a clue. I just use what is here on mfp
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I did a hot yoga (based on Bikram) and wore a Polar HRM. 372 cals for 90 minutes. I'm 140lbs if that helps. For a non-hot slow flow yoga I burned 198 cals in 80 minutes.
  • rdejou
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the replies. I'll stick to the General option from this app then (374).