58 Year Old 1st time calorie counter needs to lose 102 pounds

Options
Hi,

I had a bad report from the doctor on my recent annual physical and have decided to take his advice and see a nutritionist. For the first time EVER I'm committed to counting my calories and staying within the recommended daily amount. So far, so good!

I've tried just about every diet in the book and have never had much success in keeping it off. Anyway, wish me luck. No more diets for me. Just eating sensibly and staying within my calories.

Janet

Replies

• Lucymaeschenk
    Lucymaeschenk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Healthy lifestyle changes are so much better than any diet! Soon it will just be a habit and you'll be shedding the pounds without even noticing!
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Looks like you are on your way to a lifestyle change. The best advice given to me was to get a food scale. I spent a year just reading in the forums. Lots of good advice from very knowledgeable people. Good luck!
  • sellarsjanet58
    sellarsjanet58 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. It's only been a week and so far so good!
  • lucstone
    lucstone Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    A food scale, yes. When I first got one I measured the serving sizes versus what you'd typically eat, the difference is consistently up to 1000 cals per meal.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've been logging since November 2014 and I'm on a 254 day streak. I've lost 23 pounds by watching what I eat, and exercising 5 to 6 times a week. It's become a habit to wake up and log my food on MFP.

Here's some advice I can give you from experience and from reading the forums:

1. Log everything, everyday, even if you had a horrible cheat day. Tomorrow is a new day - don't get discouraged!
    2. Make friends with lots of diverse people on MFP. We are all here to support one another.
    3. Try to get in some exercise a few times a week to start. Then log your exercise. But only eat back half of your exercise calories, as MFP tends to overestimate calories burned.
    4. Buy a food scale and weigh everything when you are home. You will be surprised at what you thought was a serving is really about three portions.

I know you can do this :)

• sellarsjanet58
    sellarsjanet58 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I like what I'm seeing so far
  • lisadearing417
    lisadearing417 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I went for my annual physical a few days ago. I need to lose 50-60 pounds to get to my ideal weight. I just started counting calories for the first time ever. I also am getting back to the gym. I know I will lose this weight, it will just take time and I have to be patient. Good luck to you.