How to cook veggies like Panda Express?

Options
I know it sounds crazy, but I really love Panda Express veggies. I normally really dislike vegetables, but when I eat there I get the stir fried vegetables instead of rice and I love them so much! They are low calorie and don't appear to have a sauce. How do I cook them like that? Sorry, my mom used to kill the veggies growing up or we ate canned green beans or canned corn. I've tried making my own with no such success. What are the tricks? Thank you!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Well, their recipes are proprietary so I can't help you there. You can stir fry veggies in 1/2-1 Tbsp of olive oil (which is a healthy fat) and add seasonings. I like to add garlic and onions to stir-fried veggies for extra flavor, or you can use dried onion flakes and garlic powder (NOT garlic salt). Or you can steam them (my favorite) and add a small bit of butter if you like and seasonings. A bit of dill weed is good on green beans, a pinch of nutmeg is goos on acorn squash, and various "all-purpose" seasonings are good on a variety of veggies. Just get one without salt, then add your own pinch of salt for flavor if you want so you don't eat too much salt and retain water.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Just get a steamer pot. It cooks them very similarly and adds no salt.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    As a non cook, I would just buy whatever entree and a bag of steam in bag veggies and then just dump the entree on the veggies. No other flavoring needed because of the sauce from the entree.

And it cuts out soooooooo much sodium if you need to watch it for some reason.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I used broccoli, carrots, green beans and pea pods. I used some garlic paste, some chicken broth and wok oil. It could have used a little more flavor still, but was definitely a resounding OK. A little more experimenting is in order!
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Definitely add some onion powder and black pepper next time too. :)
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    totally agree with Caitwn on adding in some ginger. and soy sauce.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    i use soy sauce and garlic powder, with some oil in the pan.