Is this "really it" this time

Options

Back in March of this year I made a decision to take off some much needed weight. My motivation was a knee replacement surgery followed by a recommendation from my doctor. I was out of work for 12 weeks. The first 6 weeks of recovery required a lot of physical therapy and I also changed my food consumption quite a bit. I managed to lose 19 pounds. While entering my next 6 weeks of recovery my PT stopped because of such great improvements in healing and mobility. I was told to continue my exercises and walking on my own. I stopped the exercises but continued my every other day outside walks of about 2 miles. Unfortunately I returned to my bad eating habits and managed to gain all my weight back in the 6 weeks plus. I was so disappointed in myself for giving up quickly. So now I've joined MFP 11 days ago with my wife and we are working together planning healthier meals and trying to stay within our calorie goals. Exercise is on the agenda as well. Which of course goes hand in hand with maintaining a healthy weight and life style. My wife has joined a gym and is doing well. I haven't joined yet. I have mixed feelings about fitness facilities. I just have to get motivated and do something! In my mind I feel like this is "really it" this time and I'm going to do this. But I know I'm going to have struggles just like the majority of us do. MFP is a great tool for inspiration and accountability. It really makes a difference when you have support in that way. So, thank you MFP and everybody! Your willingness to share your stories and everyday ups and downs makes a big difference in helping others such as myself.
All the best! jpjc

Replies

• Allison1385
    Allison1385 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Focus on your nutrition! Fueling your body the right way and then focus on working out next! It is going to help a lot with your wife by your side going through it together! Good luck to you two!!
  • jpjc21864
    jpjc21864 Posts: 16 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thank you Allison.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Welcome and it's nice that you and your wife are in this together. Maybe try changing your mindset from "this is it", to "I've done this before. I can do it again.", but make changes more gradually with your food intake. Changes you know you can stick with. You said your previous changes were quite drastic. A more moderate approach is generally better.

If a gym isn't your thing, then don't try to force it. Walk. Just walk a lot, everywhere you can. A formal fitness routine isn't necessary. Find a sport or activity you like. Good luck and stick with it!
  • jpjc21864
    Options
    Thank you! And you're absolutely right about changing my mind set.
  • maggiemay530
    maggiemay530 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wishing you and wife the best... you are going to get this! Sounds like you've come to your "ah-ha moment" and realize this is it... Good for both of you!
  • mewilliams11
    mewilliams11 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have been on the weight loss roller coaster more times than I care to admit, I've had success, many failures, but I refuse to give up. I just told my husband a few days ago that although I've said it a million times before, "but thus truly was my last time of starting over & I will succeed this time". I'm not sure if he believed me & there are moments that I'm not too sure, but I'm tired of the battle. I'm ready to enjoy life without constantly thinking about my weight.

You're lucky to have the support of your wife & doing the journey together will make it so much easier for the both of you.

Good luck & you've got this!
  • jpjc21864
    Options
    Thank you Maggie and mewilliams! Yes. Working as s team makes a huge difference.
  • Zombella
    Zombella Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight for many many years (early teen years on). I've never been truly successful. The reason as to why I say that this is THE time is because I've changed my mindset. I'm not happy with my size. In the past I would think that and go eat my feelings. Now I say to myself that there is no point in doing that because it'll just result in short time happiness and I'll be unhappy again.

I say good for you and good luck!
  • jpjc21864
    Options
    Thank you. All the best to you too. :)
  • supahdupahfitness
    supahdupahfitness Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The fact that you recognise that there are better choices and you want to make them says you're going to do awesome, simply by putting one foot in front of the other, one step at a time, for the rest of your time you're going to make the right things a habit and sooner or later we'll all be asking for your help and how you did it. Just breathe deep, and get on it. Good luck man.
  • jpjc21864
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thank you. Supah!