Nerd Fitness Women's Academy? Yay or Nay?

Options
NekoneMeowMixx
NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I've lightly perused Nerd Fitness' site in the past, and today it was brought up by a very knowledgeable MFP friend of mine, that I should give it a read through. I'm essentially looking to build up some lean muscle, and shred that fat. Currently I'm at 23%, and though goals obviously change the closer we get to them, I'm thinking I'd be comfortable around 20% (until the overwhelming thirst for blood iron overwhelms me and I'm back and the bar, heavier and harder ;)

Anyway, I came across their "Nerd Fitness Women's Academy" through an article about "Spezzy", a young woman who learned the hard way the path that I found myself going down (low cal/high burn = a sad, sad weakling) Now, I love weightlifting-- LOVE IT. Cardio? No. Don't sign me up for cardio. (Unless it's cycling, maybe...) NF Women's Academy, at the only slightly pocket heavy cost of $99 (for LIFETIME membership, and money back guarantee) is tempting, to say the least, but so is adopting ALL OF THE CATS (and we know that's not a good idea)

http://www.nerdfitness.com/the-nerd-fitness-academy-rebel-women/

My question is: has anyone tried this? I'd really love some first hand experience, advice, opinions, tips, suggestions, hints, cheat codes, what have you...

It seems like a great program, but I'm a little worried that it's centered hard on the whole "Paleo" diet (more power if that's your thing but I like my rice and pasta) I'm all about moderation, but you're not taking away my cupcakes, got it?

So yeah, any advice is super appreciated. I'm currently working on Stronglifts 5x5, and I'd like to get my strength up a little bit before starting a program like this (I understand I have it for life, but still, I don't want to fail right away and feel all defeated) but I'm hoping to purchase soon, if I can get enough positive feedback!

Replies

• hyefelicia
    hyefelicia Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found your post while searching for reviews, I'm in the same boat you were in. it looks promising but Paleo isn't my thing... did you end up signing up? How is the Academy?
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I signed up for and there was a ton of great information. Most of the nutrition stuff was wasted on me, however, as Paleo just doesn't work for me. Nonetheless, it was still worth it for all of the workouts and gaining a foundation of nutrition and fitness knowledge. The academy has a bunch of different workout options (bodyweight, dumbbells, barbell - all at different levels). The academy did a great job of explaining the workouts and all of the exercises are demonstrated by short and easy to understand videos. Even though I've progressed past really needing the academy, it was a great resource for me as a beginner who didn't have access to a trainer. Hopefully, that's helpful!