Eggs & Cholesterol

Options
I've always been told eggs very nutritious but if I eat more than 1 it automatically puts me over for my cholesterol limit according to MFP. Should I ignore that or what am I missing?

Replies

• deidre07jerome
    deidre07jerome Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem so I have just switched over to just the whites and it's fine. What I do is get out a muffin pan and grease a few with olive oil the mix the whites with all the veggies you can fit and add the egg to the pan and bake for about 10-12 min at 350. They still taste good but are a lot better than fried.
  • bringingsexyback2007
    bringingsexyback2007 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll have to try that.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,649 Member
    Options
    Food cholesterol doesn't have anything to do with blood cholesterol. Unless you have a medical condition where you need to limit it, you can eat whole eggs.

They're good for you!
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've always been told eggs very nutritious but if I eat more than 1 it automatically puts me over for my cholesterol limit according to MFP. Should I ignore that or what am I missing?

Ignore. Dietary cholesterol does not have the impact once thought on blood cholesterol.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/
  • charleneb83
    charleneb83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Recently they have said that the eggs in cholesterol is actually not as bad as they have made it out to be. I allow myself 2 eggs a day.
  • nakulp69
    nakulp69 Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »

Ignore. Dietary cholesterol does not have the impact once thought on blood cholesterol.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/eggs/

Yes, it doesn't matter if you have more eggs or the yolk with them. & cholesterol is produced in body too everyday . If dietary source is less the liver produces more & vice versa. Have a lipid panel done & keep an eye on your HDL/LDL levels. Hdl= good helpful cholesterol, LDL= grimreaper. Eggs give the good cholesterol very much necessary for hormones, cell-lipids, & protective layers for various cells in the body.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I would ignore MFP's cholesterol threshold. Eggs are very nutritious especially the nutrition to calorie ratio.

My doctor told me saturated fat sources like butter, meat fat etc. were what raised my cholesterol, but she never mentioned eggs.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All the good vitamins are also in the yolk.

The nutritional value of eggs.
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol in food doesn't automatically equate to cholesterol in the body.
    There's even been studies done where a group of people ate an absurd amount of eggs every day (I think either like 6eggs, or maybe even 11 eggs or something), for a period of a few weeks or a few months (sorry, bad memory).
    And the results showed that the majority of those people didn't gain any cholesterol, or if so only minor / normal amounts and fluctuations.
    Those studies along with other ones, I think have come to conclusions that getting increased cholesterol in the body from foods, is partly due to genetics. Some people might not get any at all (even from like 6-10+ eggs / day), while others may gain massive amounts. My memory is bad, and I prefer layman's terms and remember things that way, better than scientific terms and lots of details, so forgive me if the way I explained it all sounds stupid. Just go looking up the studies and research yourself, shouldn't be too hard on google.

Also cholesterol isn't bad. And there is "good" (HDL), and "bad" (LDL) cholesterol too. Your body can turn cholesterol into either.

Most people wouldn't get much cholesterol in the body from eating eggs or high cholesterol foods. And if you're one of the few that would due to genetics/dna or whatever, then its a bit unfortunate.
    But no matter who you are, one who gets it or not. I'm pretty sure eating 1-2 eggs every single day even (obviously no normal person would go eating 6-12 eggs daily, like they had done in some of the studies i read), is perfectly healthy. Including the cholesterol. Especially if you're at least some what active, and have a relatively healthy diet.
    You'll either get only very little increased cholesterol in your body if any at all (most likely you wont get any), and what little you might get, with the healthy lifestyle, it'd just be turned to HDL too.

Also if you're that worried about whats most likely a minuscule risk (since most people on here seem to be following fairly healthy lifestyles) on increase cholesterol or more specifically the 'bad' cholesterol, then there are plenty of foods / ingredients / supplements that lower it. Whether you want to just eat actual foods that do it, take powders / capsule versions of those foods, or the chemicals/ingredients (just because its a chemical or made synthetically doesn't mean its bad) in supplements.

Grains and other high fiber foods (particularly soluble fiber) are good for lowering cholesterol. Oats, oatbran, i'm sure wheat versions too.
    Psyllium, whether its husks that you add to food, powder that you mix and/or drink, or in capsules. (Its a fiber), would lower cholesterol.
    Garlic is pretty good too. Again, use it in cooking, or take supplements (think you can even get some supplements that don't cause your breath to smell).
    Fish Oil (omega 3, etc). Eat fatty fish, or just take Omega 3 or cod liver oil supplements or whatever.
    Cocoa - So whether you eat chocolate (I guess dark chocolate would be better due to higher cocoa content), use pure cocoa in your cooking, it doesn't matter. There might even be Cocoa supplements haha. Although it isn't one of the better choices for lowering cholesterol.
    Green Tea (drink it, or take a supplement) also lowers it, I think a small bit just.

No reason not to eat eggs, even daily. If you're worried, incorporate some of those other foods and/or supplements too, and any "possible" increase to total cholesterol or even specifically bad cholesterol would just be negated.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Just eat your egg. I eat one everyday, and I have great cholesterol. Focus on increasing the good cholesterol through diet and exercise.

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    As @Spyer116 states above, there is a relatively small chance you could be a hyperresponder to dietary cholesterol due to genetics, in which case that daily egg (or any dietary source of cholesterol) could cause your serum/blood cholesterol to be high (and alas, the bad LDL type). Probably the only way to know is to eat a high dietary cholesterol diet for a few weeks, get a lipid panel blood test done, then cut as much cholesterol out of your diet as possible and get retested a few weeks later. I actually did that with saturated fat and discovered that I'm very responsive to saturated fat in my diet (seriously, my bad LDL cholesterol dropped 100 points in 3 weeks after cutting out as much saturated fat as I could reasonably live with).

Or you could just live with that egg and not worry about it.