I'm an overspender... (of calories) help???

Options
Each day I wake up and get excited because it means that it's a new day and I have 1624 calories to consume. The problem is that yesterday I consumed 2517. I did work out so that took off 421 calories. I usually do better with calories than my checkbook, because I get paid monthly vs. daily!

Anyway I just felt defeated. Anyone share the same experience? I need some pep talk. I am doing better today staying within my budget though.

Replies

• Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Each day I wake up and get excited because it means that it's a new day and I have 1624 calories to consume. The problem is that yesterday I consumed 2517. I did work out so that took off 421 calories. I usually do better with calories than my checkbook, because I get paid monthly vs. daily!

Anyway I just felt defeated. Anyone share the same experience? I need some pep talk. I am doing better today staying within my budget though.
  • kazzit
    kazzit Posts: 113
    Options
    im the opposit i struggle to use mine
  • kazzit
    Options
    do you weigh your food out
  • tamlom
    tamlom Posts: 49
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I think I am doing good and not eating that much, then I type in the calories. There goes my whole day! Not sure how to correct it though other than plan your later meals after you see how many calories are left for the day.
  • kazzit
    Options
    ive stared eating slimfast bars they are easy to keep to your calories and tasty to
  • Brenda_1965
    Options
    Yes, I weigh and measure my food.

The silver lining is that when I posted, I went back and looked at where all the calories came from. I learned that the problem wasn't the fruit bread I ate, it was the PIZZA! It was a Jack's naturally rising and not eat out, but it was STILL 830 calories. I guess that's the beauty of this system.

I like the idea of planning the day's meals. I'll try that. I'm a big time credit card user and juggler of funds, so the main idea here is that I lack the self-discipline to tell myself NO! I just can't tell myself at 6 p.m. "You have no more calories left today, go to bed hungry." BUT I do think that once I get into a routine of what fits into my daily calorie budget, it should get better.

I think this is how I managed to stay thin for so many years... Food hadn't enticed me or filled me emotionally. It was only something that stopped the hunger pains. I pretty much ate the same thing day after day.... until I had children and they needed better than that.

113736.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    try doing with your food what you would do with your paycheck. "pre-spend" your food like you "pre-spend" paychecks for the monthly bills

when you get up in the morning, plan your day of what you're going to eat. log that food, and until you earn some exercise calories don't go askew from what you planned for. (obviously this wont work EVERY day but for most)....

good luck!
  • shkaki
    shkaki Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    oops you answered my reply before i posted it..so disregard! :)
  • Brenda_1965
    Options
    That's a great idea! I LOVE the way you stated it! I do automatic bill pay from my checking account, and this takes about 3/4 of my check. I know exactly what I am getting each month, and I'm happy to spend it that way. Sooo... this means that I DO need to add in some staples to my diet.

I have been having 2 cups of Kashi Cinnamon Harvest for breakfast every morning for about 2 weeks. I could count on 1 cup and allow a 100 calorie change if I feel like I need that change, or I could just consume the 2 cups for a guaranteed fullness until lunch.

I have several different lunches that I take to work, so I need to figure them as 'meals' and decide which one to have each day based upon what I'm making for supper!

My biggie is that I have a hard time getting enough protein each day.
  • holly_berry
    Options
    also, to keep ur calories in check, and to controll portions, drink a few glasses of water before you eat. it will fill you up and help you eat smaller portions. and the water weight goes away when well, you go! lol. it works for me!