Stronglifts 5X5

Options
Question!
I've been reading up on this and it seems so scary and intimidating! How do you know your doing the right form? Do you just ask one of the beefy guys at the gym or ask a personal trainer to show you?

Replies

• dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Most gyms offer one free session with a personal trainer.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer go through the lifts I was unsure of with me before I started. Also, you can watch videos online on how to do each lift. Just google stronglifts and squats, etc.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    The book Starting Strength, by Mark Rippetoe, has a lot of information on lifting form. It's a lot of detailed reading, but if you're going to be your own coach, it's a good reference to have.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

This might be a good start. I'm not in the group but I assume you could post videos for feedback on your form.

I'd be cautious of asking one of the "beefy guys" at the gym. There are definitely useful people at the gym who would likely love to help. The problem is, there are a lot of lifters who aren't the best resource (i.e., not using great form themselves). WIthout knowing what you are looking at, it might be hard to tell the people who know what they are talking about from those who don't. Even the "beefy guys" can be doing it wrong.