Measuring crossfit calories

Options
Interested in any input about how to measure crossfit calories. Thinking of purchasing heart rate monitor, but I have read these are better for steady state moderate workouts, which is totally not xfit. Anyone have suggestions?

Replies

• ShawnMart
    ShawnMart Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have used my polar ft7 with every different kind of workout including crossfit and it has never failed.
  • rmitchell239
    rmitchell239 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    ShawnMart wrote: »
    I have used my polar ft7 with every different kind of workout including crossfit and it has never failed.

Thanks ill go look it up.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I just started Crossfit and use what I'd been using in the gym - Polar M400 watch with an H7 heart rate monitor (chest strap). Only problem I've had so far was this morning when warm-up included some tire flips. Since it helps to go chest to tire once you get it to chest level, the first time I did it I wasn't paying attention and knocked my monitor off the strap. A quick adjustment fixed that.
  • kryss247
    kryss247 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Polar all the way :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Log it as "Circuit Training".
    Don't bother with a HRM unless you actually want/need to know your HR.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Hrm uses a formula that requires steady state cardio. For other work such as anaerobic exercise, it cannot give accurate results. It is not designed for that. It estimates oxygen uptake based on heart rate during aerobic activity and calculates calories from that . Anaerobic exercise uses oxygen differently.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Log it as "Circuit Training".
    Don't bother with a HRM unless you actually want/need to know your HR.

This. I'd just log it as circuit training and eat back a portion (50% or so) of the calories to account for any errors.
  • tkaysmiles
    tkaysmiles Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit surge. It might not be totally accurate but it does give me a general idea on my effort.
  • rmitchell239
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone, I'll log it as circuit training. I was hoping for something a little more accurate, especially when I start to gain weight, apparently there is not technology for that yet.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I do a weekly boot camp that is similar to crossfit and I use my HRM and eat back 75% of what my HRM says I burn and I'm losing. If you use a hrm try and eat only 50% of what it says you burn first and if you find yourself famished, eat back 75%.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    A HRM would be worthless for the calorie estimates for Crossfit. It would still tell you your HR which is what is designed to do and would help with training.

For calories, it's just going to be a guesstimate. Log as Circuit Training and reevaluate in a couple weeks.
  • rmitchell239
    Options
    I do a weekly boot camp that is similar to crossfit and I use my HRM and eat back 75% of what my HRM says I burn and I'm losing. If you use a hrm try and eat only 50% of what it says you burn first and if you find yourself famished, eat back 75%.

Good idea I'll try that.