Post baby

Options
Hchipmanj
Hchipmanj Posts: 30 Member
my son is 8 months and I gain a lot of weight, I'm about 5"8 230 lbs maybe more, I know I need to exercise but I just don't have the motivation to get up and go plus the Texas heat doesn't help, I don't eat much some eggs for breakfast some yogurt maybe a sandwich for lunch and a proteins and rice or potato and vegis for dinner it's not super healthy but not bad living on the poor mans diet......I need help, I'm constantly depressed about my appearance and feel alone, I have know friends and by the time my husband gets home he doesn't want me to do anything, I would walk to the park but my husband thinks it's bad with the baby because it's so hot....I'm thinking of buying a portable stepper, what do you think?

Replies

• Swanson83
    Swanson83 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have been in your shoes 4 times. Gained baby weight and lost it then gained it back with the next one. I remember after my 2nd sitting in a changing room crying because nothing looked nice and the size was much bigger than I ever would have thought I was. Between my 3rd and 4th I joined MFP. I helped me get to the smallest I could be since high school. (my profile picture is me with my brother 4 years ago! When I got to my smallest.) Don't get discouraged! This works! And remember your body has gone through a lot in the last 17 months! Growing a baby takes a lot of hard work that you don't see. I started with Jillian Michaels dvd. It didn't move the scale too much but I lost inches which was nice! My husband didn't start working out with me until he saw that I was losing so he'll join you when he knows you are motivated to stick with it. Or at least that was my case. Also, the success board is my favorite motivator! Hang in there!!
  • lmlilly
    lmlilly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED to exercise to lose weight. Just count your calories. I lost 30 pounds after the birth of my oldest without exercising, just eating high protein, lower carb, high fiber.
  • Hchipmanj
    Options
    Thank you, I have a Julian dvd but I live on the second floor so my neighbors won't appreciate it Im gettin a stair stepper the week and hopefully incorporate some weights and other cardio too
  • Hchipmanj
    Options
    I already do that, plus with breast feeding you can't really diet that's what my doctor said I barley eat as it is lots and lots of protein but I do splurge so hopefully this app will keep me in check
  • Layama
    Layama Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I could have written your post. Baby # 2 is 8 months old. I am 5'9 and about 235 lbs. Living in Oklahoma - so also battling the heat. I'm still breastfeeding and so cutting calories has been hard, but MFP has a breastfeeding thing in the cardio section and it gives you 200 calories for every 30 minutes of breastfeeding. I have been using that and my milk supply has not suffered yet. I have only been at this a few days so we will see.
  • healthychops_gets_fit
    healthychops_gets_fit Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hchipmanj wrote: »
    I already do that, plus with breast feeding you can't really diet that's what my doctor said I barley eat as it is lots and lots of protein but I do splurge so hopefully this app will keep me in check

Oats are great for milk supply! I don't drop below 1800 calories a day, but try to exercise daily even just a walk! Add me if you want mummy motivation xxx
  • Hchipmanj
    Options
    Thanks ladies I'll try the oats out! I feel like I eat less then 1500 already and nothing is happening but maybe it's the not gettin any cardio in.
  • Hchipmanj
    Options
    Is that accurate 200 calories per 30 min?
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I take my four-month-old out jogging with me all the time. And it has been between 80 and 90° here. Of course, if it's too hot I won't go, or I'll go early in the morning when it's cooler. I always put sunscreen on him, but it is the kind that doesn't absorb into the bloodstream. Whenever I jog in direct sunlight I pull the cover over him, but when we are in the shade I pull it open.

He doesn't seem to mind or get fussy. I try to arrange my jogs to coincide with a nap but he sometimes wakes up in the middle of my jog. I never go out for more than a half-hour as a rule of thumb. Any more than that would be too much I think, with the heat. When we come back from the jog I spray us both with a water mister and he loves it!!

You can also buy a mini fan that clips onto the stroller. I had one but apparently $20 won't give you much quality LOL

Also, sometimes when I am in an exercise rut, and get bored with what I'm doing, I will buy a new fitness DVD. That really motivates me. Another thing that motivates me to do cardio is wearing my heart rate monitor. I feel like I get a better accurate reading of how many calories I'm burning and it makes me feel awesome.
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I have a Julian dvd but I live on the second floor so my neighbors won't appreciate it Im gettin a stair stepper the week and hopefully incorporate some weights and other cardio too

I jumped around all the time, exercising, when I was a renter and had ppl under me. Just give them a heads up... "Hey if you hear crazy jumping, it's just me working out!" What are they gonna say? People have to live. You have to live your life and do what's best for yourself.
  • Hchipmanj
    Options
    I take my four-month-old out jogging with me all the time. And it has been between 80 and 90° here. Of course, if it's too hot I won't go, or I'll go early in the morning when it's cooler. I always put sunscreen on him, but it is the kind that doesn't absorb into the bloodstream. Whenever I jog in direct sunlight I pull the cover over him, but when we are in the shade I pull it open.

He doesn't seem to mind or get fussy. I try to arrange my jogs to coincide with a nap but he sometimes wakes up in the middle of my jog. I never go out for more than a half-hour as a rule of thumb. Any more than that would be too much I think, with the heat. When we come back from the jog I spray us both with a water mister and he loves it!!

You can also buy a mini fan that clips onto the stroller. I had one but apparently $20 won't give you much quality LOL

Also, sometimes when I am in an exercise rut, and get bored with what I'm doing, I will buy a new fitness DVD. That really motivates me. Another thing that motivates me to do cardio is wearing my heart rate monitor. I feel like I get a better accurate reading of how many calories I'm burning and it makes me feel awesome.

Yeah I have a mister fan combo but when I use he cries an screams and he doesn't fuss but he gets incredibly sweaty so I feel bad but maybe instead of walking to the park drive and walk for a half an hour there it's just hard because we only have one car now and limited side walks but I started a work out video today so hopefully that will help
  • Hchipmanj
    Options

I jumped around all the time, exercising, when I was a renter and had ppl under me. Just give them a heads up... "Hey if you hear crazy jumping, it's just me working out!" What are they gonna say? People have to live. You have to live your life and do what's best for yourself.

I would but they aren't nice people and I don't want to give them a reason to complain but it's worth a try
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I live in San Antonio and have a 6 month old. I would not recommend taking your 8 month old out in the stroller unless you do it early morning. Do you have a pool at your apartment? You could do 20-30 minutes in the pool with baby. Put baby in a float and swim laps pushing the float. Since baby will be in the pool that should help and 20-30 minutes won't be too long in the sun. There are some gyms also that have child care. You can do quiet exercises like squats, lunges, and ab work. Hang in there.
  • Hchipmanj
    Options
    I live in San Antonio and have a 6 month old. I would not recommend taking your 8 month old out in the stroller unless you do it early morning. Do you have a pool at your apartment? You could do 20-30 minutes in the pool with baby. Put baby in a float and swim laps pushing the float. Since baby will be in the pool that should help and 20-30 minutes won't be too long in the sun. There are some gyms also that have child care. You can do quiet exercises like squats, lunges, and ab work. Hang in there.
    I do the swim thing with him in his life jacket when I can he inly last about 15 min, I can't afford to go to a gym but we have one at my apartment I plan on using, today I did a 30 min video while he played on the floor and that worked pretty well now that he's older, my husband said he's get me a stepper so I can walk while watching TV or breastfeedimg
    Add me moms So we can motivate each other
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What about a float he can sit in? My 2 year old hates life jackets :> Here's an example of one. http://www.amazon.com/Intex-56581EP-Kiddie-Float-years/dp/B006JOKQBO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1438121204&sr=8-3&keywords=baby+float

Even if you only do 15 min that's good. You can combine it with other exercises at home.
  • Hchipmanj
    Options
    What about a float he can sit in? My 2 year old hates life jackets :> Here's an example of one. http://www.amazon.com/Intex-56581EP-Kiddie-Float-years/dp/B006JOKQBO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1438121204&sr=8-3&keywords=baby+float

Even if you only do 15 min that's good. You can combine it with other exercises at home.

Yes I just have to stay motivated