Busted my knee-what to do in meantime?

i fell down the stairs this morning and dislocated my knee. (Wish that story was so much more bad a-- like I dislocated it wrestling a lion... But, no, stairs) anyway, I'm trying not to let it get me down - I need to see an ortho dr and am on crutches . I gotta keep going but not sure how. Words of wisdom?

Replies

• Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    I had a serious knee injury last October (still have? Whatever, lol) there are good YouTube videos of workouts, i think some are by Jessica Smith, that are low impact or seated, so you don't even have to be on your feet, and they really are a workout. Fitness blender has some as well. Give them a try and good luck!
  • shank35l
    shank35l Posts: 102 Member
    Physical therapy, seriously. It will help you get back on track faster.
  • mmb1977
    mmb1977 Posts: 1 Member
    In May i strained my left knee ligaments and after seeing a physio i had to take it easy for 4 weeks. I adjusted my training to just upper body and core workouts and did them from a sitting or laying down position. I don't really have any words of wisdom but i hope your injury gets better soon.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Crutches are a pretty darned good upper body workout.

Hope you heal quickly and well.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Listen to the physical therapist (your doc should send you). In the meantime, watch your calorie intake. You'll be fine without exercise as long as you're careful to monitor your intake. Hope it gets better soon!
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Bummer! I guess you could tell people you tripped OVER a lion on the stairs. :smiley: I hope you heal quickly. Stay hydrated, watch your cals and see if you can get into PT ASAP. They will have some exercise/workout options that will be safe for you. I was in PT for several months; I noticed that they had equipment and cardio machines that involved the upper body. Bikes that you pedal with your hands while sitting, resistant bands, weights etc. My therapist also encouraged me to come in and use the equipment in between scheduled visits. Not sure if they all will do that but it might be worth looking into. Also, if you find yourself fighting boredom snacking pick up a hobby-something to keep your hands busy. It may seem silly but they have adult coloring books with really intricate designs. I have one that I break out when I need distracting and it does work. Good luck and get well soon.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Another vote for consulting a physical therapist and doing as instructed.
  • dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Try hopping! !
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Sorry that happened to you. Luckily, weight loss has more to do with diet than exercise.
  • Coolhandkid
    Coolhandkid Posts: 84 Member
    I got sidetracked for a longer period of time when I had an accident. It completely messed me up. Take it as a challenge. Its a lot harder to lose weight when its tough to exercise. Make sure you don't slide and do your PT.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Read several novels by John Irving. Learn German.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Continue to eat at a deficit and you will continue to lose weight. As for the rest, I would let myself heal.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    my busted knee injury 2 years ago pretty much derailed me completely. I resisted the set back for about 2 months , and tried to keep my exercise routine and modify around it, but then i finally gave up and accepted that this was a life changing experience so i changed my life to work around being a cripple. Take this time to slow down and heal and rehab, you can slowly get back into exercising later. Good luck
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    edited July 2015
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    my busted knee injury 2 years ago pretty much derailed me completely. I resisted the set back for about 2 months , and tried to keep my exercise routine and modify around it, but then i finally gave up and accepted that this was a life changing experience so i changed my life to work around being a cripple. Take this time to slow down and heal and rehab, you can slowly get back into exercising later. Good luck

This has been me, slowly coming to grips with my crappy knees, which have been dislocating on me since I was 18. (Once, it was stepping out of a bathroom on a sailboat.) Gradually, over the years, I have honed down my activities to a few things that have a smaller likelihood of benching me. I do some yoga poses, some walking (not on uneven surfaces), some swimming (I stop when I feel my knees twinging, etc. It just has to be a variety of little activities until I break down and get me some bionic knees.

I am green with envy when I see people out for a run. How simple! How elegant! Why can't I do that?! But it's simply not my lot in life.

I will say, consulting with a PT after my last injury (Achilles tendonitis)made me feel a lot better, like I was taking good care of my body. Yoga gives me that feeling, too.

Take good care and remember we are trying to keep our bodies around for the duration!

• SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    I'm with everyone else...listen to your PT. I want to do squats more than anything, but I'm having knee pain. I decided to take a step back & work more on mobility, flexibility, and other muscle imbalances I may have. Just let yourself heal because a bum knee is no joke!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Watch TV. When I was injured, I watched every episode of 90210, which was a bad show and every episode of Buffy, which is probably the best show that was ever on TV. You never know what you'll find! :)

Follow the orders. Don't push it. I was so sick of it that I pushed myself and ended up worse than if I hadn't.
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    i fell down the stairs this morning and dislocated my knee. (Wish that story was so much more bad a-- like I dislocated it wrestling a lion... But, no, stairs) anyway, I'm trying not to let it get me down - I need to see an ortho dr and am on crutches . I gotta keep going but not sure how. Words of wisdom?

Didn't read the above posts

If you exercise one leg, your muscles will get out of balance if you over do it. That being said, just relax and let your body heal. Id say just do stretches in your downtime to stay limber, you wont fall back, but youll be on pause.

If you mean things to do, The Assassins Creed franchise is an awesome game to play when you are injured, SO much to do!
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Take time to heal. Keep tracking your intake. Either eat at maintenance or a smaller deficit for a while.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,300 Member
    Let it heal! Don't try to push anything or do more then you are allowed to by your doctors. You can still lose weight with only a calorie deficit.

Take it from someone who injured their knee and pushed through (I was a soccer player and it was play off season and I didn't want to let the team down). My knee now sounds like rice krispies (snap, crackle, and pop). I can dislocate it just by walking down a hallway. It often pops backwards which hurts like heck.
  • haydiz70
    haydiz70 Posts: 56 Member
    I had knee surgery in April, so it definitely delayed my weight loss goals BUT I kept losing, or at least maintaining through those 3 months of being unable to exercise as I had been . It's all about calories anyway. You'll keep losing if you stay within range of your calorie goal. Good luck!