Always hungry

Options
2»

Replies

• TamLam99
    TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    andylllI wrote: »
    I'm always hungry in a deficit. Even a small deficit. I've had to learn how to be ok with embeing hungry. Tummy growling hungry. I plan my day so that I am the most hungry in the am when I have more willpower (saving breakfast calories for mid morning or lunch) and in the evening (going to bed hungry because appetite resets overnight). If I am not hungry I am not in a deficit but I don't gain either.

I've never understood the premise often touted here that you don't have to be hungry in a deficit. It just doesn't work for me (and I weigh everything and have a 10%-15% TDEE deficit so not large...still hungry. 40 g fibre a day still hungry. 10 glasses of water, 3 cups of coffee, carbonated noncaloric beverages...yep...still hungry. Weight loss about 1-2 lb a month). I suspect non-hungry dieting doesn't work for everyone...but you can do some things to make hunger more tolerable.

TOM is a total *kitten* tho.

wow - I feel the exact same way and I'm doing pretty much the same things you do. When I read the posts and people say "if you're hungry you are not doing it right", I want to jump up and down and scream (which would hopefully burn a few more calories). Glad to know I'm not the only one who is hungry.

• lmkt1
    lmkt1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just wondering, are you getting enough protein at meal time and snacks? I had the same problem as you but found that limiting my carbs, and upping my protein seemed to calm those hunger pains. I have a smoothie for snacks, which includes some whey protein powder.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I find it really helpful to try to find something to take my mind off food. When I get home from work I usually feel like diving into a snack but I also have to walk my dog. Most days I make myself take the dog for a walk first...by the time I get home I am usually not hungry anymore (so clearly I really never was). My number 1 snack though is popcorn...I buy the kernals and put about 2 TBS in a paper lunch bag, fold up the top and microwave for a couple of minutes and top with some salt. It feels like a generous snack that takes me a little longer to eat but is really low cal and healthy (and budget friendly).
  • golden6911
    golden6911 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have come to terms with the fact that to lose weight I am going to be hungry. Not all day, but at least part of the day. Right now it is almost 11 and I am starving. However, I know I can wait until noon, and then I won't be hungry again for a few more hours. I basically have just accepted that being hungry is not a horrible thing, that I am not going to starve to death, and that it is only temporary. Once I get to my goal weight in another few months, I will go back to maintenance, and then I will be able to eat another 300-400 calories more a day, and I won't be as hungry. I will still need to be disciplined because it is so easy to overeat, but it will be a lot better.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    kaileyfry wrote: »
    Drink Hot tea and coffee. Or heartburn pills. It makes you feel full.

heartburn pills?

OP, mess around with your macros and see which combos help you feel satiety.
  • GeckoSupervisor
    GeckoSupervisor Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Boredmp wrote: »
    I have tried to fill up veggies but they aren't satisfying. I always end going to the food I originally wanted anyway. I'd definitely consider myself a motivated eater. If I want something I will drive to the store and go get it. I can't keep junk food in the house ( ice cream, pretzels, cereal..) So I have a craving for it, I go get it.

This is me to a T, goodness, right down to having a husband who eats like a bird. And I feel you on the constantly hungry, especially when I am trying to be mindful about logging calories - I end up thinking about food CONSTANTLY and just making myself hungry. It may start as a craving, but the more I think about food, the more it turns into stomach-growling ravenous. Sometimes I feel like I just can't cope with saying "no" to myself either, and it leads to a binge... but luckily I've gotten better about that last part with better stress management (I'm seeing a therapist, and taking medication for anxiety).

I can easily look back on food diary for the day and see what I shouldn't have chosen. Seeing that the high carb, high sugar stuff needs to be avoided is a no-brainer... except when I'm hungry. That making good choices is hard is an understatement. I'm doing the best I know how to do, anyway, and buying more low-cal treats and snacks that I like, and surfing pinterest for cool recipe ideas to get excited about.

I've gone through periods of things working for me and not working. One thing that never works - everyone says don't eat at night, go to bed hungry. HA! I promise that if I am hungry when I go to bed, I will never, ever sleep. If I doze off, my stomach growling will actually wake me up. So my strategy there - instead of loading up on carbs, which is my impulse - is to drink a glass of metamucil and go immediately to bed. The fiber makes me feel un-hungry long enough to get to sleep. Last night I was extra hungry, so I accompanied that with 2 stalks of celery, and that helped, too, actually.

A few weeks ago I experienced a 2-week period where I didn't have this problem for once, and it was amazing! I was really, really engaged in and excited about a project I was working on, so much so that I even forgot to eat sometimes. Then I finished the project and all that went away, and it's back to the grind. That was an interesting insight for me, but I don't really know how to apply it, since I have been unable to trick myself into being genuinely excited by my day-to-day business.

For now, I'm trying new strategies, TRYING to change my relationship with food, although I have no idea how to even start. I intend to talk to my therapist about this, too, because she can probably help me figure out some strategies, certainly better than I can all by myself.

One thing, though - when you eat your exercise cals back, are you sure you don't lose weight at all, or do you just lose really slowly? If I don't eat those back I completely lose my mind. Maybe experiment with eating a percentage of them back? Maybe it doesn't have to be all or nothing.

(FYI, I'm female, late 20s, calorie goal is about 1750 cals a day. Set to lose a modest .5 lbs a week. 2000 is maintenance for me)

Sorry for writing a whole book!

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    From what you briefly described, it looks like your drive towards food is emotional, and not necessarily hunger based.

It would be good to start a written food diary. Every time you have a drive for a certain food, or desire to keep eating more, write down your emotions for that moment, as well as how things were going for you up to that moment. After a few weeks of keeping a diary, you may just find that you have emotional triggers that you have been acting on.

I am certainly not dismissing your diet in and of itself. That too can play a role. However, I think it is more the former than the latter for you at this moment in time.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Boredmp wrote: »
    I'm sure this topic is not new to anyone but its still a struggle. I constantly feel hungry especially during that time of the month. I could blaze through 2000 calories in a day easily and still feel a strong need for more. My boyfriend, who is naturally thin, never feels hungry. For snacks and meals its always me asking, when can we eat next? I don't know how to make this endless hunger go away. I've tried waiting it out, I sat listening to music for an hour but eventually I always give in. I've tried going for a walk but that just leaves me with an excuse to indulge. I just wish o could have a "normal" appetite. My hunger is what prevents me from reaching my goals. I've already got the activity part of this equation completed. I am very active, I'm on a soccer team, volleyball team, I kayak, run 5ks regularly and go for walks just because.

I keep coming back to this thread, and I wanted to share something that worked for me. I love food. I love thinking about food. I love making it. So I started being more nerdy with my food. Making things from scratch, researching optimum ingredients, tweaking the calorie/nutrition content to get 5g more of protein, or something. A side effect of all of this is I can spend 6 hours making a meal (if we're going to talk about an extreme example). That whole time I'm thinking about it, fantasizing about how it'll taste, and then when I sit down to it, it's satisfying. If an hour later I'm hungry again, I _CAN_ start cooking again, knowing it'll take another 2+ hours before it's ready. For me, reading about food and making it is nearly as emotionally satisfying as actually eating it. Thawing the meat, cleaning the vegies, peeling the vegies, making the bread, making broth from the leftover vegies, marinading the meat, wilting the greens, seering the meat, slow roasting it, sauteeing the vegies, deglazing the pan... every extra minute I'm not putting the actual food in my mouth CAN be a victory some days.

I know this tactic wouldn't work for everyone, and goodness knows I'm typically too busy to do it, but I thought I would share.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    andylllI wrote: »
    I'm always hungry in a deficit. Even a small deficit. I've had to learn how to be ok with embeing hungry. Tummy growling hungry. I plan my day so that I am the most hungry in the am when I have more willpower (saving breakfast calories for mid morning or lunch) and in the evening (going to bed hungry because appetite resets overnight). If I am not hungry I am not in a deficit but I don't gain either.

I've never understood the premise often touted here that you don't have to be hungry in a deficit. It just doesn't work for me (and I weigh everything and have a 10%-15% TDEE deficit so not large...still hungry. 40 g fibre a day still hungry. 10 glasses of water, 3 cups of coffee, carbonated noncaloric beverages...yep...still hungry. Weight loss about 1-2 lb a month). I suspect non-hungry dieting doesn't work for everyone...but you can do some things to make hunger more tolerable.

TOM is a total *kitten* tho.

Well this is refreshing, lol. Might be that you eat too much fiber and not enough protein and fat though. But water, coffee and the like don't do one thing for me either.

But yeah I've maintained for a year, and I still get hungry a lot. But I'm fine with it typically, except that evil PMS week, when I just can't stay hungry or I get dizzy.
  • emmoen
    emmoen Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Try chewing gum during the hunger spells
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    For me, hunger comes in waves. I find that if you just wait for it to pass (usually like 20 mins max), maybe drink something and chew some gum in the meantime, you'll feel fine for the next couple of hours.

Just remember that hunger isn't an emergency. :)
  • JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I had always failed at losing weight because after a few weeks I couln't stand the constant hunger. This time I am eating 1200 calories a day and can honestly say that the hunger is completely under control. The difference? I start both lunch and dinner with about 3-4 cups of leafy greens, 1 tbsp fatty dressing and/or 1 tbsp nuts. After that smallish portions of protein, starchy veg and more cooked veg if necessary. The first month I came back to MFP I even had a cup or two of sprouts with my breakfast open sandwich. And tons of water/clear liquids to help process all the roughage.

The other thing is that I have no "talking food" at home. You know, the kind that calls out to you. I live by myself, so that part is easier than when you live with others who are no limiting calories.

And last, but not least, make sure you are eating nutritious food. In my experience, if I eat a less than nutritious breakfast that day I am hungrier than usual, even if I ate more calories.
  • Spyer116
    Spyer116 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Your hunger isn't what prevents you from reaching your goals. Its lack of self-control to not eat. Lack of self-motivation to keep not eating when you've hit your daily limits.
    Eat more protein/fats/fiber, to fill you up and for longer. Re-evaluate your daily calorie limit.

Space out what you eat, and time it for periods of inactivity.
    ie. When you wake up, try not eat breakfast for a couple of hours or whatever. Wait till you've gone to work and are working. That'll keep you busy. Then have your first meal of the day on your lunch break there.
    Rather than having breakfast before work and lunch at work, have your lunch when you get home from work then in the evening. Have your dinner later at night (so rather than 4-7pm, have it at 8-10pm depending on how late you stay up).

When grocery shopping, just buy the snacks/junk food for one person (your boyfriend). So if like instead of buying a 6 pack of crisps/chips, just buy the 1 pack that he would eat when he wants to snack. Or 1 single chocolate bar or whatever rather than multi packs. And so on.
    Less chance on snacking on junk food at the least.

don't eat up all your calories in 3 meals. Save 100 or 200 or 300 for snacking between meals. That way you're guaranteed your 3 meals, + space for snacking (3, 100 calorie snacks like an apple for one snack, small bag of popcorn for another, and slice of toast and peanut butter for a third, or whatever, or just maybe one large snack / small meal at night after dinner, if you wanna save all your 'snacking' calories for that one go.

And if you're really weak and keep eating, then go get some appetite suppressants. Even caffeine alone is good at that, unless you're a regular user/drinker.
    Plenty of supplements/herbs that you can get on shelves in super markets or in health shops that do an ok job at it at the least.
    And if none of that works and you have to go begging your doctor to give you some super strength appetite suppressant or something, then its most likely you're not ready to lose weight and will just keep on failing till you learn self control / self discipline, and stop being greedy with food. Or at the very least, will lose some weight while on the prescription drugs, yet gain it back once you finish the course and start stuffing your face again
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I have been at 1240 calories for about 6 weeks now. With my fitbit steps I can eat over 1700. I have a hard time getting over 1300 most days and have to force myself to eat a snack so MFP doesn't scold me that I didn't eat enough! I am not a small person. I am only 5ft3 and weigh 212 lbs at the moment. I have been eating a lot of fruits and vegetables. I always have a huge salad (mostly baby spinach) with my dinner. I have been able to have dessert every night. When I think I am hungry, I have a glass of water and wait 15 min. I find that it was not really hunger most of the time, just boredom, or me perserverating on the fact that I am trying to watch what I eat. The only time I have been hungry in the past 5 weeks was when I am PMSing big time last week.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    @diannethegeek had a great hunger checklist that started with making the extra effort to be sure the calorie goal is appropriate. And @girlviernes said something that applies perfectly to me: if I'm doing things right, I get hungry (stomach rumbles) about an hour before the next meal and 1-2 hours before bed.
  • SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Have you recently started lifting or strength training? I know you didn't mention it, but when I first started with "heavy" weights I felt like I could chew the sofa cushions.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    @Francl27 I meet my protein goal of 1.2-1.5 g/lb body weight when cutting because it helps with my hunger and I meet that goal consistently. Fats are always 0.4/lb or higher. So carbs end up being 35-40% of my intake. I've played around with meal timing and macros and this seems to work the best. In maintenance I go back down to .8-1 g/lb of protein, same fat, more carbs. I'm just always hungry when I'm in a deficit. But I've never had a problem maintaining my weight even with intuitive eating and not tracking if I eat to hunger.