Does altitude change calories burned?

Options
I am spending 6 days at 8500 feet, after living at roughly 500 feet for years. I know there is less oxygen, which makes it harder to y my breath, but am I also burning more calories, at least until I get adjusted? Has this been figured out so I could adjust my exercise?

Replies

• yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I don’t know how many calories you’ll burn resting at altitude, but you should go very easy on the exercise. It’s not like you can go to lower altitude on a whim if you get altitude sickness. A week won’t be long enough to acclimate more than a little.
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    C&P - http://healthyliving.azcentral.com/burn-calories-high-altitudes-7235.html

---
    Altitude and Metabolism

A change of altitude affects more than your metabolism. Your body is less efficient at sending oxygen from the lungs into the blood at higher altitudes due to lower barometric pressure. Your breathing rate speeds up to compensate, working the diaphragm muscles harder. Both blood and muscle become more acidic, and you burn more carbs than fat for fuel. Your basal metabolic rate increases to stabilize basic body functions. Initially, according to Columbia University Health Center, your metabolism may rise as much as 6 to 28 percent. But that jump subsides as your body acclimates, although BMR remains marginally higher at higher altitudes.
    ---
  • crazygooselady
    crazygooselady Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am doing lots of slow walking, going back down when feeling sick, head hurting, etc. Also eating lots of carbs, and drinking lots of water. So it sounds like I may not lose much, but I will burn most of those carbs I am eating. Which is okay.