thyroid issues

Options
I just recently discovered I have thyroid problems. I've been putting on a lot of weight in a short amount of time and they found a mass in my thyroid. Im confident that it will be benign. Does anyone else have a thyroid problem? Once you got it under control did your weight loss take off? I am watching what I eat now but still not losing.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). Meds (in my case, Synthroid & Cytomel) reduce the fatigue so I can be more active. But I still kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging works.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Total thyroidectomy in 2000 and put on ~75lbs over the last 15 years. I started logging on MFP about a year ago and down >50. Once I dialed in my Synthroid I had no issues.
  • hdrider
    hdrider Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have Hypothyroidism my Dr first put me on armourthyroid but recently changed to Synthroid. I am not sure yet if we have the dosage correct since I have been very tired and gaining weight. I have found having this problem does make it very hard to lose weight. editorgrrl is correct you really need to log everything it will help a lot. I have recently joined the local gym and take exercise classes twice a week and do yoga once a week.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    They're almost always benign. Even if they're cancerous, over 95% of it isn't fatal. They just take the thyroid out. The odds of you having a deadly thyroid cancer are really minuscule. :)

I could never lose, even when I'd be eating 800-900 calories. At best, I maintained...but I kept getting fatter.

Once they took it out and gave me the Synthroid, I began losing. I'm down 85 pounds and still going.

Since I couldn't lose weight before, I feel like my weight loss has taken off. :) I'm delighted with being able to lose! I still lose weight much slower than most people, though. It's no magical. It's a long, hard slog. But in the end I will be thin! So, yay.

It takes a while to get the right dosage with Synthroid. Lots of trial and error. You have to recheck it a couple times a year for life, because adjustments become necessary.

I hope you can lose when you get it all straightened out. :)
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's autoimmune thyroid disease and have been battling weight for a long time. My thyroid count is always changing so my medication changes too. I put on 60 pounds in six months and have lost some using MFP. Good luck!
  • theratdh
    theratdh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and my levels are finally normal with synthroid. Still, I gain weight very easily. People with thyroid issues are very sensitive to glucose. So, high sugar and processed foods like white bread pack on the pounds. I recently saw a nutritionist and she wants me eating a maximum of 4 to 5 servings of carbs a day. One serving equals 15 carbs. She also wants me to not eat carbs or starchy veggies after 3 pm. So tonight I had salmon and green beans. You aren't alone with battling thyroid issues and weight loss. Hope this helps.
  • Butterflies_And_Chaos
    Butterflies_And_Chaos Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, and the weight does come off ~ albeit slowly. You're doing all the right things :smile:
  • simquilts2
    simquilts2 Posts: 34 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am so glad to read that many of you have lost weight once you started MFP. I did not have any weight issues until the doctor put me on Thyroid meds, now I am 30+ lbs. over weight and have not been able to lose; I just kept gaining. The doctor has adjusted the meds again and I think they may be correct now. Looking forward to weight loss with MFP. BTW...I also experienced substantial hair loss because the meds were too high, after the meds adjustment the hair has started to grow back. Hope all goes well with you.

theratdh, thank you for sharing your nutritional information, it makes such good sense and I will apply the advice.