Sodium whats up with that?

Options
I have seen a lot of posts that talk about sodium intake. Will someone please educate me about sodium and how it applies to nutrition and dieting? I'm clueless.

Replies

• jqg81180
    jqg81180 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Sodium can cause you to retain water which makes you "weigh more". I personally think it's ridiculous to worry about water weight when we are all trying to lose fat. If you weigh 120lbs and are feeling bloated that can often be because of sodium, especially if it's not a regular part if your diet already.

I do not watch my sodium intake and instead drink lots of water - I never feel bloated because it's a part of my regular diet and I don't have to sacrifice the salt that I love so much :3
  • Melinda1987
    Melinda1987 Posts: 130
    Options
    Most ppl care about sodium (salt) because it makes you retain water. So when you cut yer sodium you lose water weight pretty quickly. There's also some evidence that it can cause higher blood pressure. Me, on the other hand, I could care less. The way I look at it I don't smoke, don't do drugs, rarely drink, don't have illicit sex, and due to my diabetes I'm s'posed to cut way back on sugar & carbs as well. GIVE ME SALT DAMMIT!! :laugh:
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Read this... it will explain the importance of sodium and potassium... called the Dynamic Duo

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/osteoporosis/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100238578&GT1=31038
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Among other things, sodium can raise your blood pressure. This leads to an increased risk for heart disease and stroke. Given that the average American consumes two to ten times the daily recommended amount, the risk is even greater. Sodium is highest in processed foods which come with other health risks as well.

A less important reason is that sodium helps you retain water weight, hurting your weight loss efforts.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/250319-why-is-sodium-bad-for-your-diet/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/413234-the-side-effects-of-sodium-chloride/
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Among other things, sodium can raise your blood pressure. This leads to an increased risk for heart disease and stroke. Given that the average American consumes two to ten times the daily recommended amount, the risk is even greater. Sodium is highest in processed foods which come with other health risks as well.

A less important reason is that sodium helps you retain water weight, hurting your weight loss efforts.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/250319-why-is-sodium-bad-for-your-diet/
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/413234-the-side-effects-of-sodium-chloride/

This is only relevant if you are susceptible to high blood pressure. If you don't already have high blood pressure then don't worry about it unless you WANT to live that kind of lifestyle.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Sodium is essential for our health - but we don't need very much, only about 500mg/day. Most people in countries with easy availability of processed & fast foods get WAY more than that. What's bad about too much sodium? Well, your body needs a certain balance of sodium and water in our bodies for it to function properly. If you consume too much sodium, it has to retain more water to keep the right balance, until it can flush out the extra sodium. That water retention increases blood volume, which stresses your cardiovascular system (including your heart). Due to that, excess sodium consumption contributes to high blood pressure, which is a risk factor for many other conditions.

How much is too much? Pretty much all sources agree that 1500 mg per day or less is good for anyone. Groups like the American Heart Association say that everyone should try to stick to that LIMIT, but the USDA (who puts out the Dietary Guidelines for Americans and the food pyramid) recommends an upper limit of 2300 mg/day for people, with the exception of people who are 51 and older and those of any age who are African American or have hypertension, diabetes, or chronic kidney disease - this group should stick to 1500mg/day or less.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    A high sodium intake is one of the things that can contribute to heart disease so there is a recommendation of around 2500mg a day. N.B. Government recommendations varies slightly by country. Note that if you are doing prolonged exercise heavily enough to make you sweat you need more; my gym instructor has warned me about cutting it too drastically when I'm doing long running sessions, or exerting myself a lot when it's hot.

There is a common and (and what I personally see as a rather pointless) obsession about its effect on weight on here among people trying to lose weight, because a meal with a high sodium content can cause you to retain water and therefore the scales to show a slightly heavier weight the day after.

BUT it's our excess FAT we need to be losing and measuring, not our "weight". Health issues aside, who CARES if sodium gives you a baseline weight that is a pound heavier. If you look at the health factor then make an informed choice that you want to have a diet that is high in sodium, it will not impede your weekly reduction in fat whatsoever.
  • jason7532
    jason7532 Posts: 7
    Options
    thanks for the input everyone. I think with the information given I can now make an informed decision.