Ok, I'm falling off the wagon here. :( Discouraged by desk

Options
ojell
ojell Posts: 749 Member
I love my job for so many reasons, but I feel like I'm just getting fatter by the second because I'm stuck at my desk in an open office that I share with others. I try to do squats or lunges when I go to the bathroom, and walk during my 30 min lunch break, so really only get to walk about 15 mins. I know during the day is when I FEEL like doing things...well...except lately, I've been soooooo sleepy.

I dont want to fall off the wagon. I NEED to get fit again. It's so depressing. Any tips???

It'd be slightly different if I had my own office. You know?

Has anyone in a similar position as myself had success losing a significant amount of weight? HOW???

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    It's awesome that you do walk at lunch and try to squeeze some squats in. I work in an office as well...I have just started walking at lunch, and I go to the gym at 7:30 - 9 or 9:30 at night. I am not a morning person that's why. If it weren't for the fact that I sit at my desk so much I wonder if I would have gained as much weight as I have lol Make sure you have a tight lid on your food diary, and just do what you can for exercise. You can even buy one of those bikes that you fit under your desk and you can peddle all day!
  • ojell
    Options
    I'm a single mommy with 2 lil kids. Get home around 6. Gotta check homework, make dinner, get kiddos ready for the next day. I'm ready to go to bed when the kids are, then have a hard time waking up...I swear I'm on my kids schedule. lol I'm just exhausted. I'm feeling crappy. :(
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    There are times when I wish I worked a desk job, but other times when I'm glad I have a job that requires me to be in constant motion.

If it were me, I think I would make sure i have healthy snacks at work, eat a good lunch -- basically watch what I'm eating and drinking a ton of water while at work. Then I would make sure i work out when I get out of work. I know it is tough after a long day at work, but I would definitely try and do it. Even if it is just a walk after dinner or something.

You can do this. Don't let your job discourage you. Work around it -- don't let it be an obstacle.
  • ojell
    Options
    It's awesome that you do walk at lunch and try to squeeze some squats in. I work in an office as well...I have just started walking at lunch, and I go to the gym at 7:30 - 9 or 9:30 at night. I am not a morning person that's why. If it weren't for the fact that I sit at my desk so much I wonder if I would have gained as much weight as I have lol Make sure you have a tight lid on your food diary, and just do what you can for exercise. You can even buy one of those bikes that you fit under your desk and you can peddle all day!

I thought about that! Do those really work?!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mommy with 2 lil kids. Get home around 6. Gotta check homework, make dinner, get kiddos ready for the next day. I'm ready to go to bed when the kids are, then have a hard time waking up...I swear I'm on my kids schedule. lol I'm just exhausted. I'm feeling crappy. :(

I saw this message after I posted mine.

Buy a workout dvd. Tell the kiddos to go watch 30 mins of tv, do their homework, etc. Then DO THE WORKOUT. No excuses. Just do it. You deserve it. You need it. You'll feel so much better if you take the time for yourself. Trust me. I'm a single mom of 2 teenagers, I work nights 5 days a week, etc. We are all busy. You have to make time for this. :)
  • annielarson
    annielarson Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job as well whenever I'm not in school. I actually found that I eat better on work days because I pack my lunch beforehand so I dont have the temptation of going next store to a local food joint and getting a burger or something unhealthy. I keep a huge water bottle at my desk and try to refill it at least 3 times, and then just make sure you are prepared for work and bring your own healthy lunch. I'm not sure If I can offer advice about the exercise, but at least you can monitor your diet. Maybe see if your kids would want to take a quick 45 min trip to a park after you get home from work, and you can walk laps around the perimiter? Thats what my mom used to do when I was little. Good luck!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I get very little exercise during the day (I do have my own office). At lunch, if it's not 95 degrees outside, I'll walk the outer edge of the parking lot (about a half mile). But if it's 90+ outside, I'll be a soaking, sweaty mess when I come inside, and that's not good with clients. Or for my clothes.

So when I get home, I immediately change and ramp up my activity level. I clean, I lift weights, I go running, I walk the dog, I hustle here and there doing chores around my 2 story house, and I am as active as possible. I work two jobs, and the second one is at a desk at home /shrug so I have to sit down and do that too.

It is what it is. I'm an accountant and that isn't a profession you can do while in motion. I eat less than someone who walks all day or who can spend hours in a gym. I don't need the food they do anyway.

But I've lost nearly 20 pounds since Jan 1 (plus another 12 last year).

Also, I have 3 kids :).
  • ubabe1
    ubabe1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see what your diet is. Your energy levels are low and being a single mom and working full time I can understand that, but maybe you should see your doctor. Finding the time to exercise with your schedule is difficult but you need to try...with summer almost upon us maybe you can find time for you and the kids to get out of the house by taking a walk after dinner. In the morning before work try doing a little workout...even if its 20 or 30 minutes. Do you take daily vitamins? Get checked out first then look at your diet and exercise. Good luck!!!
  • Jenny56dreams
    Jenny56dreams Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! I have a desk job too. And I walk around as much as I can. I've lost 25lbs. I know you're super tired by the time you get home. The hard part is getting into a routine. My suggestion is take baby steps like I did. When you go home the first thing you should do is 15 minutes of exercise. Once you get into that routine then bump it up to 30 minutes. You can do it! I was in a slump for 3 years but I took matters into my own hands and did something about it. And most of all I did it for me. Do it for you. :happy:
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound unsympathetic, but you CAN squeeze exercise into your day. You just have to make it a priority. Get up 20 minutes earlier and do a fitness DVD. Make fitness a family affair with the kids. Have them help Mommy with her exercise. As you get fitter you will feel better and feel more rested from your sleep. I know it can be done, because this board is full of people who have done it. In my own case, 1 week a month I work from 7 AM to midnight and I still manage to get my work out in.

Put your mind to it. I'm sure you too can make it happen. Just be creative and leave "can't" out of your vocabulary.

Good luck!
  • Jenny56dreams
    Jenny56dreams Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    p.s. I have 2 babies of my own and after work I have to pick them up then when we get home it's time for homework then baths for everyone and then time for bed. But if you can get your 15 minutes right when you get home you'll see how great you feel. Also, try not to eat to late if you can. And if you feel that you've fallen off "the wagon" then tell the wagon to "kick rocks" and jump on another one. :wink:
  • beancurdie
    beancurdie Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job too. Like you, I do little things at work to help up my activity during the day, but squeezing in a full workout is always tough. You mentioned little kids, but how little are they? I've found that at ages four and seven, my boys can now understand that I need to get my workout done. I ask if they need anything before I start and they are pretty good about giving me 20-40 minutes to get it done. I never did find a way to squeeze in a decent workout that didn't involve using gym childcare or require me waking up at 5am (not happening) when they were younger than four.
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom with two boys aged 3 and 4, so I know what you mean about time. What works for me right now, and by the way...I'm very new. (only a week in)

I set my alarm for 5:30 am. I get up IMMEDIATELY!! I dont even pray in bed like I used to. I am UP within seconds to turn that alarm off, then I head DIRECTLY to my living room to work out. That way, no matter WHAT happens with the rest of my day, I will have gotten it in already.
    Before you say, but I'm tired in the morning... The week before last and several years before that, I snoozed at LEAST five times EVERY morning. Matter of fact, I used to set my alarm early JUST TO snooze! So I get that heavy, unfinished sleep feeling! :)

Also I made a big meal of chicken stir fry 2/veggies and brown rice last sunday, and seperated it into tupperware containers for the entire week.

I also had five cup sized ones for my oatmeal.

I also buy the salad mixes, throw extra random veggies in and seperated them into containers.

I grab ONE each and bring it to work with me.

The boys try and jack up my morning each day...whether someone peed in the bed, wont put on socks..its different every day. LOL But by the the time they are awake, I have already worked out and food for the day is taken care of.

I also walk 20 of my 30 minute lunches.

The biggest thing is getting up and going straight to the workout. Dont give yourself time to think about how good that extra time will feel. Because honestly, just knowing you did something that good for yourself first thing in the morning has a GOOD feeling to it. Even on day 1, I walked more tall, because while most were still dreaming, I was MAKING it happen! Good luck! :)
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    OK OJELL you asked so i'm gonna tell you, i sit at a desk in an office with 3 other people all week, 45 hours per week. You have got to find you motivation, there is no reason is you are absolutely serious about taking control of your life that you cant do this. You have to want it and work for it. walking for 15 minutes a day is not going to do it. It involves planning and dedication. I get an hour lunch so i try and run at lunch but that being said if i have any errands to run i dont get to run which means when i get home at 6 after leaving the house at 6:30 in the morning if i havent exercized at lunch i get off my butt and go for a run at home, i saw you posted that you havent started c25k yet but your thinking about it. you cant expect results if you arent going to put the time and efforet into it. mcDonalds needs to be gone from you menu completely. you can eat just as quickly and much more healthy by planning ahead and making your own salad and controlling what you put into it. i know this may sound harsh and i'm sorry but if you really really want to do this it's time to stop making excuses and get it done, i understand complete if you feel the need to unfriend me but i'm telling you i have lost 40 pounds it's not a diet it is a lifestyle change, if i can work full time drive 45 minutes each way to work, take care of two boys a husband and ten dogs and still fit a good workout into my week 5 to 6 days so can you so what are you waiting for.....
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how long you've been at this, so this may or may not help. I've slowly been changing my diet over the past several months (just joined MFP in May though) and have found that I'm starting to have more energy just from the food changes alone. Maybe let those changes kick-in and you'll soon have more energy for morning or evening workouts.
  • MartiJJohnston
    Options
    Before you say, but I'm tired in the morning... The week before last and several years before that, I snoozed at LEAST five times EVERY morning. Matter of fact, I used to set my alarm early JUST TO snooze! So I get that heavy, unfinished sleep feeling! :)
    The biggest thing is getting up and going straight to the workout. Dont give yourself time to think about how good that extra time will feel. Because honestly, just knowing you did something that good for yourself first thing in the morning has a GOOD feeling to it. Even on day 1, I walked more tall, because while most were still dreaming, I was MAKING it happen! Good luck! :)

WOW! I've never found anyone else that will actually admit they set their alarm early to snooze.... I DO THAT, TOO!! I'll lay in bed and make myself sick trying to go back to sleep for 30 minutes when I KNOW I'd feel better if I'd just get up and at least walk around the block... ANYTHING but lay in bed and think about how good it feels.

MAN! I needed to read this post OJELL!! Thank you ALL for your motivating responses!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    Options

The boys try and jack up my morning each day...whether someone peed in the bed, wont put on socks..its different every day. LOL But by the the time they are awake, I have already worked out and food for the day is taken care of.

- Haha, funniest thing I have seen all day!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

WOW! I've never found anyone else that will actually admit they set their alarm early to snooze.... I DO THAT, TOO!! I'll lay in bed and make myself sick trying to go back to sleep for 30 minutes when I KNOW I'd feel better if I'd just get up and at least walk around the block... ANYTHING but lay in bed and think about how good it feels.

MAN! I needed to read this post OJELL!! Thank you ALL for your motivating responses!!!! :flowerforyou:

I do that too, I have 5 alarms and 1 snooze on my phone...but I hate mornings, no way in hell I'm getting up to work out. I'd rather walk for 45 minutes at lunch and then bust my *kitten* at the gym after supper lol
  • natillypooch
    Options
    Hi there, when im feeling sluggish and tired i have a cup of hot water with lemon juice in and a sweetner if its to sour and that gives me a quick lift! x
  • annrum
    annrum Posts: 144
    Options
    Hiya, don't give up!
    I work a desk job as well and I'm usually away from home for 3 nights of the week, staying in a hotel. At the moment, I'm mostly losing weight from diet changes, but I do want to increase my activity levels. If it helps I've lost a good couple of stone since the start of the year, not super-fast I know, but it is a sustainable loss.
    Is there a gym at/near your work? I used to find going to the gym at lunchtime was good because it would give me energy for the afternoon.