New vegetarian

Options
amaluez
amaluez Posts: 2 Member
hi, I recently became vegetarian, it's been a month. I regularly cook because it is too hard to find lunch with no meat, but Im running out of ideas... Anyone???

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Here are some of the lunches I eat regularly

Bean soup (make ahead and refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for a couple of months)
    Tofu stir fry
    Hummus wrap
    Bean burrito
    Salad with chickpeas, tofu, or tempeh
    Tempeh salad sandwich (or chickpea salad)
    Tofu scramble
    Seitan sandwich
    Vegan pizza
  • J_Squared_77
    J_Squared_77 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I recommend checking out the Post Punk Kitchen's website www.theppk.com. Her site has tons of amazing vegan recipes. I also like this blog www.ohsheglows.com and Jamie Oliver has a vegetarian and vegan section on his site www.jamieoliver.com.
  • nalaandchoco
    nalaandchoco Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes with Almond milk, protein bars, nuts. Thats all i eat during the day then just my veges at nite☺. Can make heaps of nice smoothies with frozen berries etc 2, really good in summer.
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am not vegetarian but here are a few quick and easy suggestions. :)

Sauteed coleslaw mix with almonds is a favorite you can put tofu in it.
    Hummus with a serving of pita chips and veggies.
    I also like lettuce wraps filled with veggies or a rice/quinoa salad.
    Vegetarian fried brown rice.
    Zucchini boats (not too quick but delicious)
  • meganlindeman
    meganlindeman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 4 years and at first I struggled with finding foods! I LOVED Morning Star foods, honestly taste better than most real meat! Also if you're out running around and want to eat out Panera Bread has a lot of vegetarian meals. My favorite was the Black Bean soup. Which you can also make that at home too!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    vegetarian lasagne. I've even started making vegan lasagne which to my surprise is delicious.
    bean salad - beans and vegies with dressing
    vegetable bakes a la cauliflower cheese but you can include pasta and a number of vegetables.
    Get some recipe books from a library and practice.
    avoid processed fake meats they are should not be regular foods on anyone's diet more than any other processed foods. Continue eating your own cooked food.
    Salad sandwich or roll
    Lots of vegetables soups. I just made a nice one yesterday with white vegetables - onion, cauliflower, parsnip and potato. Learn how to make a decent vegetables soup iwth a recipe and then you can adapt from their. If you don't know how to make soup work, you'll need more than a list of ingredients.
    look for indian spiced rice dishes, they are yummy.
    the mediterranean europeans are good with vegetables. try ratatouille. Its french.
  • lewisann05
    lewisann05 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian Times has a great online database of recipes and tons of helpful articles for when you just get started. I've been veg for just over a year now. It's been an uphill struggle as I'm allergic to mushrooms and don't like eating a ton of processed soy products--so cooking at home is pretty key, but there are options on the go and at the grocery store. MyRecipes.com also has a way to search for meatless options--you have to search something first, then it will give you filter options for meatless on the results page. I've recently started using the Yummly app, which lets you choose your dietary restrictions as well as foods you don't like or are allergic to, so they'll give you suggestions that are more tailored to your tastes. And like everything these days, the more you rate things and the more you add to your preferences the better the suggestions will be.

When I first started the key for me was to find which beans and nuts I did and didn't like, from there you just have to combo things up in different ways. Between cookbooks, magazines and the internet there's always a new recipe worth trying--just figure out a couple ingredients you want to start with and go from there. I also think this time of year farmer's markets are a vegetarian's best friend. There's nothing more inspiring than fresh veggies.