too many crunches?

Options
How many crunches is too many? This is my only strength exercise. Please and thank you for posting.

Replies

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Too many = when you're no longer able to keep correct form.

There are more effective movements for strengthening your core. For example, planks target more muscles than crunches do.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    tenkides wrote: »
    How many crunches is too many? This is my only strength exercise. Please and thank you for posting.

Why are crunches your only strength exercise?
  • tenkides
    tenkides Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Im not able to put my body weight on my shoulders because of a car accident a couple of months ago. Other than planks what could I do? Or is there a way to modify the plank? Right now i do 50 sets of 10 reps. 5 sec break between sets.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with your swimming? and how much do you want to exercise?
    Weight loss starts in the kitchen you need to weigh all your food.

You are really over thinking this too much
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Crunches aren't a great exercise so I vote 10
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

There are more effective movements for strengthening your core. For example, planks target more muscles than crunches do.

As an aside static planks are a decent beginners exercise, but if you can hold one for 60 seconds you've got all the benefits out of it and working on duration will merely mean your endurance for planks has improved

If you want planks to continue to help your core you need to make them dynamic..like push ups or single legs or suspended etc or weighted...the trick in any exercise is always the progression

Personally I've never seen the point in planks when I can do sets of adapted push-ups instead
  • oh_happy_day
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

As an aside static planks are a decent beginners exercise, but if you can hold one for 60 seconds you've got all the benefits out of it and working on duration will merely mean your endurance for planks has improved

If you want planks to continue to help your core you need to make them dynamic..like push ups or single legs or suspended etc or weighted...the trick in any exercise is always the progression

Personally I've never seen the point in planks when I can do sets of adapted push-ups instead

Agreed. I often see people doing a basic plank incorrectly, which is a bit scary. I like to do combinations of single leg/arm, suspended in a TRX, side planks, pikes, spider man push ups etc. I enjoy playing around with them because it corresponds nicely with my yoga practice. It's not for everyone though.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It's not that she can't do planks because she is out of shape, she can't do them because she can't bear weight on her shoulders (which planks require). Try leg raises, it's kinder to your spine than crunches. You can either do them dynamically or do several holds (30%-45% angle). To make them harder prop your upper back up with pillows. The higher the pillows the harder the exercise.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    leg raises, squats... perhaps you could still plank with the aid of a gym ball, resting your chest partly on the ball to take the weight off your shoulders.

I strongly suggest you see a physiotherapist though. you may benefit from exercises to strengthen your injured joints, and they will have other ideas for safe exercises.
  • oh_happy_day
    Options
    It's not that she can't do planks because she is out of shape, she can't do them because she can't bear weight on her shoulders (which planks require). Try leg raises, it's kinder to your spine than crunches. You can either do them dynamically or do several holds (30%-45% angle). To make them harder prop your upper back up with pillows. The higher the pillows the harder the exercise.

She didn't include that in her original post which is why I suggest planks as opposed to crunches.

OP I think considering your limitations are after an accident you really should consult a Physiotherapist or an exercise physiologist for a program of what you can do while you can't put weight on your shoulders. It's not worth exacerbating your injuries.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Search YouTube for something that works for you. It is full of exercises for specific goals.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    How many crunches is too many? This is my only strength exercise. Please and thank you for posting. Im not able to put my body weight on my shoulders because of a car accident a couple of months ago. Other than planks what could I do? Or is there a way to modify the plank? Right now i do 50 sets of 10 reps. 5 sec break between sets.

I guess you can do as many as you want but you are strengthening the same muscles. For hitting a variety of core muscles you could try Pilates ab sculpting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDW8BfkBio4&index=3&list=RDYW2eRv4kCag

I like core exercises in New Rules for Lifting - Supercharged. The same author wrote New Rules for Lifting Abs but I haven't bought the book but by the title I'm sure you could find something.

Why are crunches your only strength exercise? If it is because of your shoulder injury, I would work out with a full body workout but without engaging your injured shoulder(s).

Good luck
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Im not able to put my body weight on my shoulders because of a car accident a couple of months ago. Other than planks what could I do?

Whatever your doctor or physical therapist recommends. Following random advice off the web could worsen your problems.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Im not able to put my body weight on my shoulders because of a car accident a couple of months ago. Other than planks what could I do?

Whatever your doctor or physical therapist recommends. Following random advice off the web could worsen your problems.

Right here. If you were in a car accident a couple months ago you should be talking to a physiotherapist about what your body can safely do right now. There are many awesome exercises that work the core from a variety of different angles and difficulties but I'm assuming the last thing you want is another injury to get in your way of progress. Safety first, find a good therapist that will help you make the most of your workouts while protecting your body.