Evening time

Options
Hello all, I can manage to eat really well during the day whilst at work but then I get home and just stuff my face. A lot of the time I don't even realise I am doing it. Does anyone have any techniques or ideas to stop snacking in the evening after work or after dinner? I think a lot of it is stress from work. Tia

Replies

• acardone
    acardone Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I can definitely relate to this and 3 things have helped me. 1. Where you can, factor in a healthy but delicious snack (for me, I love frozen yoghurt) so I'll do my best to keep some calories aside and that keeps me looking forward to the after dinner treat and stops me from rummaging through the fridge/cupboard for something to eat. 2. Is a herbal tea (for me, peppermint has been a winner and you can get ones without caffeine). 3. Keep yourself accountable with a family member or friend by letting them know that you want to stop the 'night snacking' so they can help keep you on the right track.
    Keep your head up cause being aware of your behaviour will help you to change it
  • mazzy1026
    mazzy1026 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey Emma - I'm the same. Ever since coming home from school days, I'd always raid the fridge before tea! Thing is, when it came to tea time I as never hungry, so was eating for the sake of it.

Acardone's point about a snack is the key for me - when I get in I will have a small sandwich (200 cals tops) with ham/chicken etc, and a pint of water (this may be about 5-6 pm). It's amazing, if you wait 10 mins, you're actually not hungry. By the time I've got the kids to bed, I actually don't feel like eating much come 8pm, so end up having a smaller tea - the overall results no hunger pains and reduced overall calories. Plus with it being later on in the night, I'm in bed before I get hungry - so no more snacking.

When you're in the starving mode it's easy to eat loads, but something small and some water, wait, and then see how you feel :wink:
  • 2selina
    2selina Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Completely understand this. I am aiming to net 1600 calories a day and aim to save about 900 of them for the evening to allow for my tendency to over eat. I've found that brushing my teeth after dinner helps me stop snacking later in the evening. I also try to avoid tv so will cook for the next day, have a stroll or read instead. That way I don't mindlessly chomp in front of the box. I know it's a cliche, but excercise is a great stress buster. Could you walk part of the way home or something to help you relax pre evening?
  • Emmal2387
    Emmal2387 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your ideas definitely things I think I can implement. Unfortunately 2selina I have a 17 mile commute with no public transport so I am unable to walk home. My weekday evenings are now less busy, I have had a hectic couple of weeks so hopefully I can start exercising in the evenings.